Trailer setup

• dirtywater

I’ve got an 08 shorelander roller trailer for my tiller and this thing is a mess. I’ve had the boat a few years and I don’t think it has ever rolled off nicely. Even if I’m on a steep ramp and totally submerge all the rollers I have to push the boat off. I know I need new center rollers as they are gouged up and barely roll, but I don’t think the others are properly set up either.

Anyone have a good resource I can read so I can have some clue before I tackle this? Or if I decide it’s more than I want to do, a recommendation for a metro area shop that’s good at trailer set up?

CaptainMusky

I dont have an answers for you but I have probably the same trailer and year and I have the opposite problem. It rolls off too easy. I have to wrap a rope around the winch post when I unhook the strap or it will just roll right off.

dirtywater

I dont have an answers for you but I have probably the same trailer and year and I have the opposite problem. It rolls off too easy. I have to wrap a rope around the winch post when I unhook the strap or it will just roll right off.

I’d rather have that issue to be honest. I like to fish into late fall and am tired of getting wet or having to wear waders just to launch! But I can see how your issue would be frustrating as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I bet it would be easy if you could get the boat off it and have it totally exposed at your house. The components on those are not difficult to remove and replace. Possibly just fix some pieces.
    But I know, how/where can you put your boat while working on it?

CaptainMusky

Yeah, its pretty much a problem when we go to Canada and the boat is heavily loaded down, but I agree once I figured out how to handle it I would rather have this issue than yours. The first time I unloaded it I almost lost my boat. LOL

dirtywater

I bet it would be easy if you could get the boat off it and have it totally exposed at your house. The components on those are not difficult to remove and replace. Possibly just fix some pieces.
    But I know, how/where can you put your boat while working on it?

I have a spot near me where I can launch the boat and beach it away from the dock, all within eyesight of a huge parking lot where I could do the work, so that part is covered. I’m more looking for some advice on how a roller trailer is properly set up. Height of various rollers in relation to frame etc.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I have a spot near me where I can launch the boat and beach it away from the dock, all within eyesight of a huge parking lot where I could do the work, so that part is covered. I’m more looking for some advice on how a roller trailer is properly set up. Height of various rollers in relation to frame etc.

Do your trailer arms honestly have that much adjustment? They normally are self leveling.

I would pull the boat off, and just see how easily each arm and roller moves. I’m sure some rollers are either sift or oblong, causing your issues.

Heck maybe one or more of the roller shafts are rusted and not allowing the wheel to move. It wouldn’t take many of those to cause your problem.

You could also hose down all of the roller shafts with a lubricant, maybe like an LPS 2 spray. Let it sit for a day and see how things are moving.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

How big is your boat? Could you lift and block it a few inches above the trailer then work on and adjust from there? You can figure out if they work and where they should contact the boat. Also where the boat is level.

CaptainMusky

If his trailer is the same as mine there is quite a bit of adjustment that you can do with each of the rollers. I’m actually surprised how high the back ones are adjusted because the cross beam is higher than the frame.

dirtywater

What captain said. And when I have the boat off the trailer and look at the rollers it’s pretty clear one side is sitting higher than the other.

Suzuki; it’s just a 16 foot tiller so that’s possible in theory but I don’t own the gear to properly lift and block it on my own. My city garage is also really tight and I’d prefer not to do it on the street with traffic going by.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

but I don’t own the gear to properly lift and block it on my own.

You probably do. Jack up the trailer/boat. You can use a floor jack or bottle jack, jack from the car. Get a couple tires, some wood blocking and cinder block. Get the blocking under the boat and drop the trailer down to work on. Then just reverse the program when done working on the trailer.

-J.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.