Trail Cam Discussion

• rutandstrut

We made a video discussing 3 different brands of trail cameras we use frequently. They range in price from about $30 to $80. With all of the brands and prices of cameras out there, it can be tough to choose. We always look at reviews before we buy outdoor gear and thought it would be a good idea to make a one.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Which one was the best?

rutandstrut

I am definitely partial to the Moultrie’s. I have had a good experience with their cameras with picture quality and durability. However I would never put my Moultrie cameras on public land, because I definitely do not want them to get swiped and the less expensive cameras work well enough to run on public land. I can’t express enough how much battery life the Moultrie’s give, you will save quite a bit of money with batteries using the Moultrie.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I use to love Moultries, but they would only last me 2-3 years then go dead. The pic quality and battery life are great for sure!!

rutandstrut

I use to love Moultries, but they would only last me 2-3 years then go dead. The pic quality and battery life are great for sure!!

I’ve had great luck with with my 3 older Moultrie’s if 1 of them haven’t gotten stolen they’d all be in the middle of their 5th season. Time will tell with the new ones I got, they are a little cheaper of a model, but I hope they give me some good seasons.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve had good service from Moultrie cams and I get good battery life from these cams, they were on par with the original Bushnell Trophy Cams, which set the early benchmark in terms of battery life.

But starting about 4-5 years ago, everybody got good when it came to battery life. I have Moultrie, Bushnell, and Browning cams that are all within 1-2 years of each other. They are all really close in terms of battery life and this is a pretty objective test because I put most of my cams out in April at the same time and all with fresh batteries. All of the brands above make it to at least October on the original set of el cheapo alkaline batteries.

The big difference in cams now is no longer battery life by picture quality.

When Bushnell came out with the Essential series, that was the end of me buying anything else unless Bushnell somehow drops the ball. These cams have it all, long battery life and terrific picture quality even at night.

I have gotten over 13 months of pictures off of one set of el cheapo Rayovac batteries and that was in a cam that stays out all winter! I actually wrote on the batteries with a sharpie the exact date I put them in, so this is not a guesstimate. That cam sat on field road between food plots snapping thousands of pictures over the course of 13 continuous months with 1 set of AA batts. I have 2 more of the Essential series cams and they perform the same.

Grouse

rutandstrut

Thanks for the detailed response I know my buddy has a few Bushnell cameras (not sure if the model) that he really likes, and we also run a browning model. I just hate the fact that we have to build some cameras into our arsenal that we just prepare that they will get stolen.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just hate the fact that we have to build some cameras into our arsenal that we just prepare that they will get stolen.

Bummer that you have to deal with cam thiefs.

Most consistent tip that I’ve heard and used is to mount cams up high and out of the normal line of sight.

Also, I’ve heard from 2 hunters that had cam theft issues that the CamBush really helped. The CamBush is a little camo ghillie suit for the cam. Combined with mounting cams up high and these guys both said theft is greatly reduced.

Grouse

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I ran the Bushnell Core Low Glow and No Glow cameras last fall. They’re awesome. Video quality was exceptional and the pictures were great too!

Attachments:
    1. Deadfall-002.jpg

rutandstrut

I ran the Bushnell Core Low Glow and No Glow cameras last fall. They’re awesome. Video quality was exceptional and the pictures were great too!

Thanks for all the input guys, I am gonna have to look in Bushnell cameras a little more. Does the buck come with the camera?!?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Pat, that’s an incrdible photo! He almost looks superimposed.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat, that’s an incrdible photo! He almost looks superimposed.

The video is even better (he was working a scrape there really aggressively) I wish I could post the video!

Here’s another pic from a low glow at night. Takes exceptional night photos.

Attachments:
    1. PM-Bushnell-Low-Glow-.jpeg

Reef W

When Bushnell came out with the Essential series, that was the end of me buying anything else unless Bushnell somehow drops the ball. These cams have it all, long battery life and terrific picture quality even at night.

Is this model, the Bushnell 16MP Trophy Cam HD Essential E3 Trail Camera, the ones you are referring to? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQMBZ65

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>TheFamousGrouse wrote:</div>

Is this model, the Bushnell 16MP Trophy Cam HD Essential E3 Trail Camera, the ones you are referring to? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQMBZ65

Yep. I have 3 of those.

If there is a better camera out there for a lower price I’d like to know what it is.

Grouse

Timmy

Due to the FG’s and others recommendations, I bought a couple of the Bushnell Essential trophy cams. I have been very pleased with the results. Good battery life, nice crisp pictures, and good trigger speed…. I really can’t find a fault.

Attachments:
    1. A1.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Stunning picture, Timmy.

I should also mention that I get almost no false triggers with the E3 Trophy Cams. That’s a big deal because false triggering was probably my #1 issue over the years. Some weather and seasonal conditions seemed to cause false triggers by the dozens, but not with the E3.

As always, test every new camera AND SD card before you deploy it. I have had an issue where a camera did not like a certain SD card, so good to find that out before you stick it in the woods and come back to find no pictures.

Grouse

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.