Toyota Will Replace Over 100,000 V6 Engines in Recalled Tundras, Lexus SUVs

• JEREMY
    BP

Never had an issue with any of my silverados 6 or 8 speed but my 10 speed has had 2 valve bodies put in before 30k miles and its not he only one weve had. They have been on backorder for about 6 months if that means anything.

CaptainMusky

Jeremy that is interesting. I have 22k on mine no issues so far and like I said I even talked with the dealer who sells a ton of these since they came out and they have seen very few issues and nothing was internal just a reflash.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just know none of this decision was ever based on any good will towards their customers, its all a financial decision for Toyota and their lawyers said this is the cheaper long term route to solving this problem…

big_g
    Isle, MN

When its a toyota major issue, its “good on them to do the right thing” and then turn it into a chevy trans issue. rotflol rotflol rotflol

CaptainMusky

We big-g this is different they are what appears to be proactively replacing 100k engines vs letting owners have a problem and then bring them in one by one.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    GM has no plans to switch.

Didn’t they just add a 4 cylinder turbo as an option on Silverados?

I’d expect one more generation in half tons and SUV’s based on learnings from the LT platform, although GM will continue with DFM or whatever next gen trash they come up with to augment it. I’d guess by 2030 we’ll see no more GM small block V8 in the 1500/ SUV platforms. Probably keep a large NA V8 as an option in the heavy duty segment because they’ve been selling a ton of them.

CaptainMusky

That new 6.6 gas in the hds is fantastic.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Being it is a recall…. they are not volunteering anything.. and from my research, it is debris from machining. coffee

MnPat1

Being it is a recall…. they are not volunteering anything.. and from my research, it is debris from machining. coffee

If it is debris from machining why did they change the main bearings on the 2024’s?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Probably had bad mains too… not why they recalled though.

The company began investigating the issue back in March 2022, following a report of a customer vehicle stalling; it determined the main bearings had seized. More similar reports began flowing in, and Toyota kept working to determine the cause through 2023 (and yet more reports of damaged engines), eventually determining errant machining debris was the cause (after noting issues with even “good” engines Toyota had “recovered from the field”) and initiating a voluntary recall campaign following a total of 166 Toyota Field Technical Reports highlighting the issue and 824 warranty claims on engines.

CaptainMusky

I give credit to Toyota for issuing a recall to replace these motors. Other companies know there are.problems and don’t do it then each owner runs into it later maybe under warranty and get it fixed. These owners will get their vehicles fixed before ever experiencing an issue which is great.

B-man

Unless you end up with one that burns a quart of oil every 1,000 miles…

My last employer I worked at before we moved ran 3/4 gas Chevys. It was too common of a problem with the new ones.

Some did, some didn’t. I had one that didn’t, but had co-workers with new trucks that ate oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner (2022-2023 models)

When my wife was car shopping last summer she had a Lexus with the aforementioned V6 on her list. It was a sexy SUV but in hindsight I’m glad she went with the Honda.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I give credit to Toyota for issuing a recall to replace these motors. Other companies know there are.problems and don’t do it then each owner runs into it later maybe under warranty and get it fixed. These owners will get their vehicles fixed before ever experiencing an issue which is great.

Again, they were looking for a fix, acceptable to NHTSA for over 2 years… then when they couldn’t come up with one, they agreed to replace the engines in all of them. If it was up to Toyota, they would wait out to see who had problems and who did not… but NHTSA said no way. There is a difference between a safety recall and a poor design, safety recalls are when a vehicle exhibits a characteristic which could cause harm or even kill someone driving the vehicle or people around them on the road. An engine locking up while doing 70 mph could cause harm. No manufacturer can ignore this, if this is what is occurring.

CaptainMusky

Is that what would actually happen if there was a failure? I didnt read through the recall.

munchy
    NULL

It’s not Toyota (or any manufacturer) paying for this (or any) recall anyway, all manufacturers have insurance to cover these issues. So in reality, it’s us paying for it.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Unless you end up with one that burns a quart of oil every 1,000 miles…

My last employer I worked at before we moved ran 3/4 gas Chevys. It was too common of a problem with the new ones.

Some did, some didn’t. I had one that didn’t, but had co-workers with new trucks that ate oil for breakfast, lunch and dinner (2022-2023 models)

Yeah I keep reading about cases of this happening. IDK, I just got into a 2020 L8T with 89k on the clock. I’ll be watching oil consumption closely but looking at the service records (it was a fleet truck) this example never had that issue

big_g
    Isle, MN

It’s not Toyota (or any manufacturer) paying for this (or any) recall anyway, all manufacturers have insurance to cover these issues. So in reality, it’s us paying for it.

Correct… who ever machined the engines and was responsible for debris removal… might be declaring bankrupcy. whistling

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.