Toyota Will Replace Over 100,000 V6 Engines in Recalled Tundras, Lexus SUVs

• supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

This is going to be exspensive!

CaptainMusky

Well done by them for being proactive I guess, but yeah that isnt going to be cheap.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I dont know why they went away from their v8 coffee

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Government standards being pushed

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Government standards being pushed

Yeah it is all driven by the EPA and trying to get better fuel mileage. Just dumb if you ask me. Most of the things being done to get better mileage is making vehicles less reliable. Ie AFM and the such.

FinnyDinDin

Emission requirements implemented by the liberal politicians. The same politicians that fly their jets around the world and live in mansions.

The tundra V8 is probably the most bullet proof truck engine ever produced. Shame it went away due to politics. Funny thing is the gas mileage on the V6 turbo isn’t all that much better than the V8’s and about 4-5 miles less per gallon than what they list.

CaptainMusky

Most of the boosted v6s get worse mileage than a comparable V8. This is a joke they are doing it. GM has no plans to switch.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

What I read is that it’s due to manufacturing debris left in the engine during production. I.e. metal shavings. It’s a bummer because I was really hoping Toyota could build an engine like this and show the others that it can be done with reliability. Good to see them do the right thing. Maybe they can still prove it. Ford has been jerking people around for years with their ecoboost cam phaser problems and have done almost nothing about it.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

GM has no plans to switch.

Didn’t they just add a 4 cylinder turbo as an option on Silverados?

CaptainMusky

Sorry but that made me laugh. Yeah like there stellar transmissions

That was only the 6 speeds which I dont think they even make anymore. THe 8 speeds was a simple fix and the 10 speeds are awesome.

CaptainMusky

Didn’t they just add a 4 cylinder turbo as an option on Silverados?

Yes, but they are not getting rid of the V8s hence the reason I said switch like all the others have done.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This is going to be exspensive!

…yes, for consumers

The expensive Toyotas will only become more expensive. Giant corporations don’t just absorb unforeseen expenses. They kick them right on down

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

That was only the 6 speeds which I dont think they even make anymore. THe 8 speeds was a simple fix and the 10 speeds are awesome.

The 8spds are failing just as much as the 6spds and the fluid is not an actual “fix” at least as far as I know. Also I have heard things are already failing in the 10spds. So sorry this guy will never own another one, until they move on to another builder to make them something different.

Charles

I give them credit for taking their own action that they screwed up on. You don’t see the other big 3, doing anything with their problems. How much is this going to cost them, you have to pull cab on this, this is going to cost them big time.

CaptainMusky

Everyone I know with the 8 speed who had issues it was fixed with the fluid change. I don’t know anyone having issues with the 10 speed and besides myself I know at least 20 people who have one. Small sample but my son also works at the dealership and talk with service and he says there are very few issues with it. Nothing internal just a flash and carry on

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We have replaced at least 4 or 5 of them here. I can’t get one for our Chev Express Van a 2020. They have been on back order from GM with no eta for at least 5 months. We decided to just install a used one to get it back on the road as it’s loosing money just sitting there. The first used one did not move after installing and programming and the second one worked for a few miles then lost forward gears. So I said no to trying that anymore and here we wait for GM to supply one. Its bad enough my builder can’t even get parts to rebuild the dang thing. I am not trying to argue with anyone but to say it’s just a fluid problem or programming is not correct. Buyer be ware.

CaptainMusky

INteresting. The only people I know with the 8 speed that had issues all were resolved with the change to honda fluid. This sounds internal because theirs were definitely not internal just not getting into 8th gear.
    I asked my son again about the 10 speed and he went and talked to the head service guy and he said nope, no widespread issues and the ones that come in are simple fixes. They sell probably 50 to 100 of them a month.

tim hurley

Speaking of safety, pollution and corporate responsibility-Car companies can be very resourceful but they often need a nudge. Air bags were mandated but car companies were not happy at the time, thought they were too too expensive, blah blah blah. Would you now buy a car w/o an air bag?
    Per mile drived since the beautiful 1950s fatalities are DOWN, mostly because of a variety of government regulations. Car companies like Toyota are developing engines that run on a variety of clean running fuels all because the terrible mandates are out there. These mandates at the time are like a referee at a sporting event nobody likes them but they are necessary.

tim hurley

Oh, BTW EPA regulations accelerated the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke motors. If you have a 4 stroke how do you like it compared to a 2 stroke you have owned? What is more reliable & more fuel efficient?

Brad Dimond

Would you now buy a car w/o an air bag?

If I could find a mint 1968 Dodge Charger at an affordable price (pipe dream) I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Learned to drive in that car with a 383 CI motor. Haven’t matched the acceleration other than on a motorcycle.

tim hurley

Brad-cannot always be bubble wrapped-jump on a motorcycle, jump out of a perfectly good plane, swim with the sharks, gotta have some spice.-Most of the time playing it safe is probably a good idea. Funny when I hear on a commercial that Mitsubishi has ‘more air bags than any other brand’ when the car companies said costomers did not want air bags and they would go bankrupt if those liberals would force them to use air bags. Get that Charger would be a blast to drive it! But if like me you drive 15k a year most of those miles should be in a safe car, especially if you have important passengers (BTW people were not always good about seat belts either)

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

GM has no plans to switch.

Yes, GM has confirmed that they have no plans to change their total POS AFM engine or their explode-o-matic tranny’s anytime soon. One GM executive was quoted as saying, “Hey,we fixed them enough so that they last to the end of the warranty in most cases. That’s good enough, who do you think we are, Toyota or something?”

CaptainMusky

Oh, BTW EPA regulations accelerated the switch from 2 stroke to 4 stroke motors. If you have a 4 stroke how do you like it compared to a 2 stroke you have owned? What is more reliable & more fuel efficient?

love my 4 stroke Suzuki would NEVER go back to a 2 stroke. Quiet, clean, sips gas and I don’t have to add oil.

CaptainMusky

Yes, GM has confirmed that they have no plans to change their total POS AFM engine or their explode-o-matic tranny’s anytime soon. One GM executive was quoted as saying, “Hey,we fixed them enough so that they last to the end of the warranty in most cases. That’s good enough, who do you think we are, Toyota or something?”

Grouse the AFM debacle in trucks at least is all gone. It’s dfm now and there are very few issues with it.

MnPat1

This is a design issue not a shavings in the motor issue……….after multiple oil changes the same crank bearing goes bad….ummm nope. Hopefully they can fix it with a proper design. Honda and Toyota are way behind on their direct injected motors. They were able to get around the government regs because they sell more Camrys and accords than trucks.

tim hurley

I remember reading (years ago) that for cars the carburetor is being ‘legislated out of existence’. That’s that EPA boooo, right? Well who prefers fuel injection for day to day driving and boat motors? I talked to a outboard mechanic who was retiring he had been in the biz for decades, I asked for advice on what brands are good and what are not so good, all he told me was:”don’t buy anything with a carb”. Good that we have the EPA challenging these big corporations.IMHO

CaptainMusky

Tim you are not wrong about the EFI thing, but the trouble is it isnt the EPA technically that is pushing these new regs its the federal government IE the President. Sure, it may be coming from the EPA itself, but this push for all electric vehicles by whatever year, etc is all coming from the President.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Would you now buy a car w/o an air bag?
    Per mile drived since the beautiful 1950s fatalities are DOWN, mostly because of a variety of government regulations.

Yes, and says who? The govt? Maybe fatalities are down because automobile technology continues to advance at an astonishing rate. Brakes are better, weights of ice vehicles is down, seatbelts are better, lane assist, adaptive cruise, vehicle tracking (on-star/insurance co), and vehicles are driving themselves now. Not to mention most of the govt mandates were passed once the private industry was already started down that road. Personally I’d like a world where they are still making 1968 Challenger cars in coolness level and Tesla’s/Prius’.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.