Towing with dodge durango

• Craig Schmitt
    west union ia

Does anyone have any experience towing a boat with a newer style dodge durango. I have 17ft lund fisherman with 115 4strk and am looking at replacing my wifes vehicle. I read that the towing capacity is 6200 lbs just wondering how it handles. Would only pull with it a couple times a year.

tim hurley

Well ok the manufactures tend to exaggerate the safe towing capacity and some guys on this site will tell you you need way more than you actually need. What I wanted to do when I was making my decision was to do a test drive with the boat, 2 dealerships said:No can do-One dealership said that I could-they got my business. The fact that you are towing infrequently should mean you could push it a bit, but maybe ask your mechanic.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I cant say about the new dodge durangos but ive been towing my 17′ 8″ alumacraft with a 140HP and 9.9 kicker around with a 06 Durango for 2 years now. don’t even know its back there. haven’t had any issues with swaying or anything like that either. It has a HEMI 5.7L in it. Lunds website lists the towing weight of a 17′ 11″ Lund Impact to be 2285LBS. Any Durango would have no problems towing that. Even a V6 should be able to handle that.

Crappy Fisherman

I tow a 1875 Lund Pro Guide with a 90 Merc. 4 stroke. I have a 2014 all wheel drive V6,8speed tranny. It pulls it fine, don’t know it’s back there. I get an honest 16 to 19 pulling the boat. Plenty of power to pass. Usually in 6th or 7th gear.
    When not towing I can easily get 24 to 27 mpg. As far as reliability, in 4 years only changed oil and tires. The one thing I don’t like are the side mirrors. Wish they were bigger and extended. I did put convex mirrors on them and that helped a lot.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Well ok the manufactures tend to exaggerate the safe towing capacity and some guys on this site will tell you you need way more than you actually need. What I wanted to do when I was making my decision was to do a test drive with the boat, 2 dealerships said:No can do-One dealership said that I could-they got my business. The fact that you are towing infrequently should mean you could push it a bit, but maybe ask your mechanic.

I bought a new truck in 2014, dealership let me test drive 2 trucks with the boat in tow to compare. I bought the better of the 2 that day from them. If they are willing to work with you, that is a big bonus in my opinion

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I thought this was going to be a post from a boy from Iowa.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I had a 06 Durango 4.7 and pulled a 17.5′ Larson fiberglass deep v with a I/o towed fine always used the tow mode pulled to mille lac from se mn many times no issues trailer was single axle

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What does the durango have for a motor. My 17 ram has 5.7 with 8 speed and pulls great. 22 mpg to lake of the woods with my dads 18 ft alumacraft and 3 guys 2 dogs and beer and gear for a week.
    Average of 70 to 75 mph

mojogunter

I had a 2007 Durango with a 5.7. I pulled my 621 ranger a couple times with. Had plenty of power to pull it, but when I hit some bumpy roads it got a bit spooky. It pushed it around way more than I was comfortable with. With the boat you are asking about I think it would be fine.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

With minimal towing I wouldn’t even think twice it should handle it more than fine. Would recommend one with factory tow for sure

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Factory tow will include engine cooler if you add it after market you won’t have the same towing capabilities

queenswake
    NULL

Out all of the few SUVs left, that new Durango still maintains truck-like towing power for sure. Especially with your light boat, that SUV is perfect for the job.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Does anyone have any experience towing a boat with a newer style dodge durango. I have 17ft lund fisherman with 115 4strk and am looking at replacing my wifes vehicle. I read that the towing capacity is 6200 lbs just wondering how it handles. Would only pull with it a couple times a year.

If in doubt, weigh your rig! Surprised at how few people actually do this. It’s a matter of going to one of the many truck stops that have scales or finding a friendly grain elevator that will let you drive across their scale. Drive the truck+boat across, unhook the truck, drive across again.

With that said, I cannot imagine you couldn’t easily tow that boat with a Durango. I towed our 22-foot Wellcraft pleasure boat with my GMC Acadia (5000 towing rating) and hardly knew it was back there, it weighed over 4000# wet.

The biggest issue in towing isn’t what most people think. It’s not power and the ability to go. It’s braking and the ability to safely stop. Does your trailer have brakes?

Grouse

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.