Tournament Etiquette

• Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

While the National Team Championship is in town I was thinking about taking work off tomorrow to watch some of them fish. Beyond giving them plenty of room, is there anything else I should keep in mind as I’m observing?

walleyeseeker

Tournament fishermen are no different than anyone else on the water. They own the exact same amount of water that you do. Give them the same respect you would any other boat and you should be fine. I’ve seen some guys that think they’re entitled to more room or the spot to themselves. Those are the same guys that give tournament fishing a bad name.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I tried that same defense once when I ran out onto the field at a Vikings game.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

While the National Team Championship is in town I was thinking about taking work off tomorrow to watch some of them fish. Beyond giving them plenty of room, is there anything else I should keep in mind as I’m observing?

Make sure to take a GPS and mark spots. ????. Then feel free to share them with your IDO friends.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

‘Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I tried that at the bar when I was younger. Not a good result either.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

maybe the tournament guys should ask other river rats what the etiquette is because most of them forget or have no clue! remember they are not there to make friends in the most part! NOW THIS STATEMENT IS NOT FOR ALL TOURNEY GUYS JUST A FEW! and a musky fisherman lol

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I used to try that all the time at the bar. I’d say 50/50 results.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

What are you Moses now?

riverruns
    Inactive

Use the same etiquette as people do fishing a community hole when the fish are biting during ice fishing. 2 feet or more.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Tournament fishermen are no different than anyone else on the water. They own the exact same amount of water that you do. Give them the same respect you would any other boat and you should be fine. I’ve seen some guys that think they’re entitled to more room or the spot to themselves. Those are the same guys that give tournament fishing a bad name.

I have to disagree with the first part of this statement.
    We were fishing just for fun once, and found fish on a 9′ contour line and the tournament guys honed in on that and came within inches of my, at the time, aluminum boat. I felt i better get out of the way cause “those guys” had much more expensive boats. After thought, I will never do that again. that’s why i have boat insurance and they better have it as well.
    The experience definitely turned me off, and I lost all respect for some, not all, tournament fisherman.

TripleA
    Blaine

Treat them like any other fisherman. Within the tournament itself they will usually allow eachother more room.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Did anyone read his question???? Hes going out to watch them fish…

Im assuming he is asking the question because he Wants to give them space and observe without being a menace

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Tom for the most part use your common sense and you’ll be fine.

I’ve always told people that are new to fishing the river that it’s those tourny days when you want to be on the water learning the areas these guys/gals are fishing.
    Not only marking GPS spots but taking notes on how they were fishing. Vertical or trolling ect. I wouldn’t go as far as saying to leave your rod at home, but a lot can be learn looking around on the river during a tourney.

Heck, even the tourny anglers do this to each other while pre-fishing. )

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Then maybe just like the tourney guys keep under wraps what you find out there until til at least after the tourney.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Small trout nets are standard operating equipment for pre fishing. )

Dan Baker

I’m not familiar with this league, but when I went to Mille Lacs last year to watch the Angler of the Year Tournament, I went on the BASS website and they had a spectator etiquette guide. It was helpful info.

walleyeseeker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyeseeker wrote:</div>

I have to disagree with the first part of this statement.
    We were fishing just for fun once, and found fish on a 9′ contour line and the tournament guys honed in on that and came within inches of my, at the time, aluminum boat. I felt i better get out of the way cause “those guys” had much more expensive boats. After thought, I will never do that again. that’s why i have boat insurance and they better have it as well.
    The experience definitely turned me off, and I lost all respect for some, not all, tournament fisherman.

Maybe I need to clarify. When I said tournament fishermen are no different than any other fisherman, I meant they don’t have any special rights or deserve any special treatment. Tournament fishermen should actually be setting an example of how to act on the water.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Maybe I need to clarify. When I said tournament fishermen are no different than any other fisherman, I meant they don’t have any special rights or deserve any special treatment. Tournament fishermen should actually be setting an example of how to act on the water.

I absolutely agree 100% waytogo

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Thanks for all the input. It was pretty cool experience watching them zip around. Many of them fished in the same areas I hang out in. Unfortunately never found the leaders. Guess that means I have to explore more.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

I tried that at the bar when I was younger. Not a good result either.

I used to try that all the time at the bar. I’d say 50/50 results.

What are you two trying to receive doing unto others that you would have done to you? jester yay hah

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Thanks for all the input. It was pretty cool experience watching them zip around. Many of them fished in the same areas I hang out in. Unfortunately never found the leaders. Guess that means I have to explore more.

Ya know that sounds like fun and its better than watching a sport like golf behind a line. Its great you asked this question.
    I don’t fallow the tourney thing but that’s just me. But I do remember a big shindig on the Croix while fishing sturgeon and being fascinated by these guys stopping buy the area then moving on.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

So here is my take, as I am on both sides of the field. I am a tournament angler myself, but have also been a spectator.

Being a spectator I realize that those guys are fishing for money. Some its there jobs. I give them there space. I sure as heck won’t get in the middle just because I can. I sit back and watch what they do, how they do it. What they’re using. Oh bring a pair of binoculars. Now if you could care less about the tournament and are not spectating and just there to fish, I guess do whatever you want. But don’t be surprised by the looks you may get. And I guess don’t let that intimidate you, because some guys can be harsh. But when I spectate it would be all about learning. I don’t spectate often.

Now as a tournament angler, here is the way I see it…. If the tournament angler is in the area before you, give him some space but continue to fish. I would say this goes for multiple tournament anglers in one spot as well. I beat a group of guys to a spot last year on the St. Louis river. I thought to myself, crap this is going to be a nightmare. But you know what, most (not all unfortunately) have that in our minds as well with etiquette and respect. They gave me my space and we all were able to do our thing without people getting upset or tempers flaring which i appreciated. It turned out to be a good time joking around with the other anglers as we were all fishing close. I would expect the same from a weekend angler that wants to fish a spot we’re fishing. If you’re to the spot before us, I am giving you the right away and your space. But don’t be upset when I am right behind you trolling a line. Its the nature of the beast and I will do what I have to do to catch fish when money is on the line while still allowing you to do your thing.

I also don’t let things bother me on the water. What does drive me nuts though is that guy that has to come play bumper boats just to get a waypoint. Its not the fact that your taking numbers because really who cares, its when you need to literally play frogger with a group of boats just to get in the middle to do it. That gets me fired up… If I am pre fishing and see an area that I know the tournament guy is there. I am not getting right up side of him and marking, I will go buy at a reasonable distance, mark it and take not on my graph..

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

So here is my take, as I am on both sides of the field. I am a tournament angler myself, but have also been a spectator.

Being a spectator I realize that those guys are fishing for money. Some its there jobs. I give them there space. I sure as heck won’t get in the middle just because I can. I sit back and watch what they do, how they do it. What they’re using. Oh bring a pair of binoculars. Now if you could care less about the tournament and are not spectating and just there to fish, I guess do whatever you want. But don’t be surprised by the looks you may get. And I guess don’t let that intimidate you, because some guys can be harsh. But when I spectate it would be all about learning. I don’t spectate often.

Now as a tournament angler, here is the way I see it…. If the tournament angler is in the area before you, give him some space but continue to fish. I would say this goes for multiple tournament anglers in one spot as well. I beat a group of guys to a spot last year on the St. Louis river. I thought to myself, crap this is going to be a nightmare. But you know what, most (not all unfortunately) have that in our minds as well with etiquette and respect. They gave me my space and we all were able to do our thing without people getting upset or tempers flaring which i appreciated. It turned out to be a good time joking around with the other anglers as we were all fishing close. I would expect the same from a weekend angler that wants to fish a spot we’re fishing. If you’re to the spot before us, I am giving you the right away and your space. But don’t be upset when I am right behind you trolling a line. Its the nature of the beast and I will do what I have to do to catch fish when money is on the line while still allowing you to do your thing.

I also don’t let things bother me on the water. What does drive me nuts though is that guy that has to come play bumper boats just to get a waypoint. Its not the fact that your taking numbers because really who cares, its when you need to literally play frogger with a group of boats just to get in the middle to do it. That gets me fired up… If I am pre fishing and see an area that I know the tournament guy is there. I am not getting right up side of him and marking, I will go buy at a reasonable distance, mark it and take not on my graph..

Great point. My main concern is that they have money on the line and I don’t.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Money on the line gives them zero more rights then you. These are public waters and they are required to follow the same laws as you. Give them space and all will be good.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Money on the line gives them zero more rights then you.

Agreed

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Rules and etiquette are not exactly the same thing.
    I think he is looking for the point in which boat distance and viewing courtesy cross.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

An angler is an angler. I treat other boats with respect that I may pass by, and will treat tournament boats the same also.

A short quick wave is generally the extent of my communication with other anglers. Unless there is a very unique situation, on P4 I will generally move to stay away from others (even if I was sitting somewhere first and people begin to move in).

I go fishing to relax, enjoy the outdoors, and challenge myself to better my techniques. Arguing or impeding anglers’ space is not anywhere on the priority list. In-fact, the few hostile anglers I have encountered in decades of fishing I generally just shake my head and laugh at…as those poor souls must lead a miserable life.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Money on the line gives them zero more rights then you.

Agreed

I do agree with this, we all have to follow the same rules in the end.

To the original poster, I would assume you’re all right at 70+ yards out. Carry binoculars with you. I think you’ll notice crowds especially for the bassmaster guys is even 100 yards out. You have to remember those guys can throw some monster casts, so I wouldn’t want to be in the way of that.

NWT Cabelas walleye guys, I don’t think they get much of a crowd following unfortunately, but still spectating, I would be out 100 yards.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.