tomato Sauce.

• Jimmy Jones

I brought in 6 gallons of tomatoes this morning and peeled and cored them. To about 2 gallons I added chopped shallot and garlic, finely chopped basil, some seasoned salt, maybe 3/4 cup of honey, after allowing the chopped tomatoes to drain well. While the tomatoes were draining, I chopped the remaining tomatoes, chopped two large onions and a dozen large cloves of garlic, peeled and cut into thirds. 3/4 cup of my home-made, home-grown herbs, that make an Italian seasoning was added to this mix and set on the stove to simmer until the onions were translucent. Again, the tomato mixture was scooped into a coarse colander to drain. When drained well it went into the food processor and whipped up on high speed for two minutes, then poured into a fine sieve where I pushed the sauce thru the screen, leaving the seeds inside to sieve. When all of the tomato mixture was done, it went back into an 8-quart pot on the stove, uncovered to simmer. As the sauce simmered, all of that juice was put into another kettle and boiled until it was the consistency of thick ketchup, then added back into the sauce to simmer for another half hour. While the sauce cooked, I bagged the first tomato mixture in quart freezer bags, 3 cups in each bag and froze. This is for Bruschetta. When the first batch hit the freezer, I bagged three cups of sauce into quart freezer bags for pasta sauce. I have 4 cookie sheets filled with bags in the freezer. Tomorrow the frozen bags go into quart vacuum bags and get vacuum sealed.

Then Weds I get to make tomato sauce all over again. Its now apparent that I did not cut back far enough on my tomatoes this year.

Brad Dimond

Sounds delicious. I’ll do something similar next week less the salt. I’ll also be making two batches of salsa, may try to sneak a bit of extra heat into the second batch. My wife prefers her salsa to be chunky ketchup, son and I prefer a little heat.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I put up 5 pints of salsa last night. Ill do at least another batch and that will last us a year easily. I may make a sauce too. I still have plain stewed left over from last year. Pickling more bananas tonight. I have a very small operation. Nothing like you have going.

JEREMY
    BP

I usually make 6-7 gallons of spaghetti sauce but still have like 20 quarts left from last year so may skip it. Should make some fresh though I suppose.

Jimmy Jones

I just got round 2 on the stove. I cut back on plants this year but I think not far enough.

ThunderLund78

My Mother In-Law does a bunch of sauce every year. It’s a LOT of work but man it makes the kitchen smell good!

Jimmy Jones

My Mother In-Law does a bunch of sauce every year. It’s a LOT of work but man it makes the kitchen smell good!

The whole house smells good.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.