Tips for Walleyes

• YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

I am taking a trip up to upper red lake and am just wondering what you guys recommend for the best results when fishing for walleye. Last year when I was up their I used a gold and red lindy rattlin’ flyer spoon and caught some good sized eaters, but this year (which will be Feb. 1-4) I am looking to go for the “trophy” walleye. Anything will help, thanks.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Everyone up there fishes with Slender Spoons, VMC Tingler and Tumbler Spoons, Rapala Ultralight Rippin’ Raps, and a variety of others like these.
    While I was there the only thing I could catch them on while jigging was Rippin’ Raps, but several others I spoke with could only catch them on spoons with a whole minnow. Still others said just a plain red hook with a minnow hooked through the dorsal fin was best. In fact, I did catch some on rattle reels this way. Just dead stick a minnow on a simple hook and you should catch fish.
    The other key to success is to move around if you’re not catching them. We did not do this and ended up with only a few fish for the weekend. Meanwhile, others who did move reported catching 10-20.
    One thing if you are looking for trophies is the Rippin’ Rap worked good to lure in fish for me. After I learned the proper method of finessing this lure I managed to get a 22 incher to strike. That might be smaller than what you are after but it was a blast for me. I hear there are bigger ones in Upper Red but for true trophies you might want to try another fishery.

YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try a few of those ideas out for sure. Have a good one.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.