Tips for flasher use

• YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

Recently I have been doing lots of walleye fishing and whenever I get a mark that comes up right on to my jig, it swims right back down to the bottom and not biting. Am I jigging it wrong when they are right on me??? Or are they just very finicky???

curleytail

Is it possible that they are small perch? Little perch will often rush a bait and then sink back down after realizing the bait is 1/2 their size.

Otherwise hard to say. I think many often over jig when walleyes are close. When they are right on the jig, I’ve caught more by “nodding” (small, light swimming motions) or jiggling the bait more like you’d think for panfish than the common lift-drop for walleyes.

A lift-drop sequence when the fish are there sniffing the bait seems to make it too hard to catch and they lose interest, especially if they are in a neutral or worse mood.

Could just be very tight lipped also. Can’t catch ’em all!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Recently I have been doing lots of walleye fishing and whenever I get a mark that comes up right on to my jig, it swims right back down to the bottom and not biting. Am I jigging it wrong when they are right on me??? Or are they just very finicky???

Try a rattling lipless crank bait. This might get a reaction bite, has worked very well for me, and then if you catch the mark you will know what it is for sure. Also if you access to a camera put it down to make sure what the marks are.

hamms
    Mn

Try a game of cat and mouse. Take that bait away slowly jigging as it comes up.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Try a game of cat and mouse. Take that bait away slowly jigging as it comes up.

yep, keep lifting. slowly.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Another common tactic is to change your bait/lure. If that doesn’t work, punch a second hole a few 3-4 feet from this one you are in and set up a plain hook or tear drop jig with a minnow and a slip bobber and dead stick that.

Then you can call with something more aggressive in the one hole and catch them on the dead stick.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’ve found with any fish species that if you stop moving it and hold it perfectly still once they are right on it, they will often bite. Unless they are in total attack mode. Then they will probably hit it no matter what. But there always will be fish that check it out then leave. But try holding it still once they are nose to nose with it, you might be surprised…

patk
    Nisswa, MN

X2 for me this season. My couple days out walleye fishing has me doubting my ability. My conversion rate from seeing the mark rise to hookset is pretty crappy.

LOTW in mid-december had a run of this. Last Saturday night/Sunday morning my fishing partner and I converted exactly zero on active presentations. Was a bit weird.

Above is good advice and worth trying. Those tips have worked well for me in the past.

YoungGunz2
    Maple Grove MN

thanks, plan on getting it dialed in this weekend

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Flashers aren’t cool anymore, and using the word “bait” in the same paragraph with those long coated weirdos just isn’t right.

Just sayin.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.