tipping a boat captain

• fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

wife and I are going to lake of the woods fishing on a charter. Just looking for ideas on how much a good tip is.
    Last year I gave him $40. I don’t what to go by.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

For me, a few factors are involved.. I refuse to reward bad service, no matter if it’s a restaurant, delivery driver, etc..

I’ve no issue going above tipping good service, good respect. If a guide was polite, respectful, put some fish in the boat, I’d easily give them 150 on a 4-5 hundred dollar bill.

Have no problem not tipping at all for poor service, disrespect, a general azz hole.

Had some entitled dick deliver a pizza last year, of which I put 25% for a tip while ordering. He showed up & before handing me the pizza to me he said “you’re not going to tip me?” An immediate call to the pizza shop to let them know this, they reimbursed my pizza cost & the tip.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

20 to 25% if the service is good.

Musky Ed

Went on Bay of Green Bay about a month back with one of the top guides you see on TV. Launched close to his house, pouring rain, only boat on the lake. He actually asked if we wanted to cancel and I said not if he didn’t. Didn’t get our limit of 10, but that was ok,, we ended up with 8, but also caught alot of other fish. Picked his brain for 6 hrs, not o ly on walleye, but musky also. Tipped $125

R Petersen

I tip for good service ONLY !! I have walked into the Kitchen & handed a $ 20 bill to whoever cooked my meals. None are chefs.
    I tip people who help me or my wife at 80 + years. 1 day the Barmaid got 3 $ 20 tips by reading my mind on difficult things I would have struggled with. I come from a different age group who have different tipping standards.

stevenoak

I go to a bar with $5 burger baskets. Usually tip 100%. Generally, 20 to 25%. But to the question of a boat captain. Assuming you are speaking of a fishing guide. I’ve been told by resort owners %15 is customary. But by no means. take it out on the guide for a tough day of fishing. If they bust their butt trying, I tip the same as a great trip. Also, if there are 3 of you in the boat, I would tip at least 10% each. Guide on Rainy took our group of 4 out half in the am, half in the afternoon. We each tipped $50.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.