Tip-up recommendations?

• Mainedog

I have fished Polar, Frabil, Heritage Laker, Jack Traps, Black Magic, and a bunch of others…still searching for that perfect trap.

Anyone know anything about Forest City Traps?

Thanks
    MD

B-man

Nice ad placement without the ad.

Thanks for joining.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

… Um, apparently you forgot about this one…

Attachments:
    1. image.jpeg

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Jack Traps are the best made tip up I’ve used, hands down.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

… Um, apparently you forgot about this one…

YES!

What happened to this guy? At least they have a PR person now since the 2017 debacle.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Yes, they look like every other wooden folding tipup. Plus you get to pay $60 for one.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mainedog wrote:</div>

Yes, they look like every other wooden folding tipup. Plus you get to pay $60 for one.

rotflol smash

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Never heard of them… But for 60$ you could make about 10 of the same ones at home… Or buy 4 HT tip ups that do the same exact thing for a quarter of the cost..

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have looked at Forest City Traps and they are way over priced for what you get.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I like the wooden frabill ones, get them at Joe’s when they have a sale and they are < $20 for a very sturdy wooden tip-up.

MNBOWHUNTIN

I don’t know if they are the best, but for the price they work great. The Frabil florescent green ones with the metal spools. Can get them this time of year for 10$ most places. They are solid.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Beaver Dams have served me well for the past 40 plus years. And they are even cheaper than the Forest City ones.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Beaver Dams……end of discussion.

Agree. I have a few from the last 10 years I have purchased on sale at the end of season for the kids and for gifts. Most of mine that are in use are from my dad and were purchased in the 70’s. They are easy to regrease as well.

Mainedog

Sounds like Forest City Traps got some good reviews over on iceshanty.com.

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

“Anyone know anything about Forest City Traps?”
    Have you ever tried them Mainedog?

[email protected]

Mainedog

Guilty as charged. ;)

Read the comparison I wrote in my blog Forest City Traps vs the Rest.
    Then go read Moosekill’s comments (on iceshanty)

MD

Ryan Overson

I picked up four round wooden Beaver Dams when Fleet Farm had a sale on them at the end of the season. Luckily, I did because they no longer make them – maybe too expensive. But the next tipup that caught my eye is the Firehouse lighted tipup. I had some idiot run over one of my BDs, on his snowmobile, which I was able to repair and now use cones, but I like the built in cone design. Only con, a bit spendy.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Beaver Dams……end of discussion.

Ziptie a big jingle bell right next to the flag. The huge flag arm on the Beaver Dam swings that bell so hard and loud that you can easily hear it. I really think that silly bell doubled my tip-up production. I miss ZERO flags now, and I’m on the move within a second of the bite.

I have one on my I Fish Pro too, but it’s not as loud. Still effective.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

I still am a big fan of the i fish pro or similar type tip ups that you can fight the fish with a normal fishing rod and reel. I am not sure I would ever go back to using the hand style tip ups. Curious why people do not switch?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I still am a big fan of the i fish pro or similar type tip ups that you can fight the fish with a normal fishing rod and reel. I am not sure I would ever go back to using the hand style tip ups. Curious why people do not switch?

When shallow’ish and below freezing I still have a spot for traditional hand style tip ups. I like that the spool sits below the waterline. Combined with a hole cover it’s pretty immune to freeze up.

FYI – Also a big fan of rod based systems and have owned most.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.