Tiller vs console steering

• targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

If you’re a good fisherman you’ll catch fish out of a tiller,if you’re a good fisherman you’ll catch fish out of a console. It’s personal preference. Neither one will make you better. Only you will make you better. I prefer a tiller.

shockers
    Rochester

I prefer tiller but as others have said either will catch fish.

The way I looked at it was most of the time I’m out im fishing. I only spend 5 percent or so of the day driving to spots etc. So I was willing to sacrifice a better ride/comfort for what I spend most of the time doing – fishing.

But if you’re fishing big water, bring family a lot then I could definitely see consoles advantages.

sota
    NW Metro

90% of the time i am casting for muskies from the stern, so a console is more comfortable for me. The other 10% of the time I’m fishing for walleye/panfish and would prefer a tiller then. Also, IMO, any boat under 17′ would be to cramped with a console.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve had both also. I run an electric start tiller now and probably always will. For river fishing it is the way Id go because the steering is so quick incase you see a dead head just in the nick of time, steering from a console is a little slower turning the motor but not that much, but a tiller is quicker.

If a guy has all his fishing equipment within arms reach with a tiller, he doesn’t have to move much except to drop or pull up an anchor. With a tiller you can turn on a dime if need be. Plus if a guy needs to pull his motor up to get over a log, shallow water or something your right by the motor. Put in a comfortable seat with arm rests and a beverage cooler with the bait tank close by and its comfortable fishing.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.