Tiller vs console steering

• ejd

I am looking at upgrading my current 14 ft lund. I’ve been looking at 16.5 to 17 ft boats. Since my 14 ft boat has been my first I have only used tiller control boats up until now but am interested in the console control. I was wondering what the pros and cons of each style are. Any opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

ejd:

Way more space in the tiller…

Mark

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I am looking at upgrading my current 14 ft lund. I’ve been looking at 16.5 to 17 ft boats. Since my 14 ft boat has been my first I have only used tiller control boats up until now but am interested in the console control. I was wondering what the pros and cons of each style are. Any opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Wheel boat all the way. I’ve been running a tiller for over a year now (first one) and I would never buy a tiller after this experience. I miss my wheel boat.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Unlike Wade I’m a tiller guy. However I have both a tiller and console and either one is being sold. If you want to kick tires side by side give me a shout. Both are inside where it is warm and dry. I’m located 1 hour North of the metro. I’ll give you my opinions on both and you can decide whats best for you and your fishing style. You will find most windshield guys have family that use the boat from time to time.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

You may have opened a can of worms with this question.

I think from my comments and Dutchboy’s comments you can see that tiller guys will stand by them pretty adamantly and non-tiller guys are “eh” at best about tillers. Just nature of the game I guess.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is no right or wrong answer. It’s just the style of fishing a guy does and what boat they are comfortable with. I love fishing out of the tiller however I’ll admit the windshield has it’s days also. grin

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

What do you think your style of fishing lends itself to? Do you want to sit up in the bow, casting/jigging, or do you prefer to sit in the back while trolling?

I’m a tiller-guy, and prefer to stay in the back, mostly using a transom TM, although this season I added a shiny-new bow mount w/a wireless remote.

Happy shopping, HRG

Dalton Keep
    Scandia Mn

You can’t beat a tiller when it comes to boat control.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Guess I don’t know how to control a boat. My Pro Guide has nowhere near the control of my WX1850.

I don’t get the whole back troll thing either. I find no value in backtrolling or the Vantage.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Boat control and roominess goes to the tiller 100% IMHO

Comfort on long cold rainy/snowy days hands down Wheel boat 100% IMHO

I own a tiller!

TripleA
    Blaine

overall BOATS never get used enough by the majority of people. I think a single console wheel boat provides more family friendliness while sacrificing minimal amounts to fishing, thus it made sense for me to go with a crestliner 1650 single console and I love it.

TripleA
    Blaine

If your all about back trolling tiller is the way to go (from everything I’ve read here) and it makes sense from a boat control perspective.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Guess I don’t know how to control a boat. My Pro Guide has nowhere near the control of my WX1850.

I think we can all agree that is not fair to compare glass to tin for many reasons.

In that size range, I would recommend a single console or tiller to really maximize the space available. I had a 17′ 6″ Lund with a walk through windshield up until last May. Even with the jump seats it felt really tight with 3 experienced guys casting. I can’t say it was not doable, but we all had our moments and close calls.

Get into some actual boats so that you can get a feel for what the space is really like. Don’t forget to check the beams. That can make a huge difference in boat stability. Check this at the water line or below.

Have fun shopping.

FDR

Rod Hanson

Advantages console: better visibility, especially when you have others in the boat; electronics are in front of, not beside you; drier in waves, especially with windshield.

Advantages tiller: backtrolling into the wind is the most precise way to present jigs and Lindy rigs; more floor space (useful on narrower boats); if you’re fishing walleyes, you can sit in your chair all day and never get up because all your controls are near the transom; softer ride in back of boat.

Hope this helps.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

X2 I agree with Mocha 100%. I have had both.

I own a tiller!

lundojam

Here is an interesting exercise: While your boat is on the trailer, grab hold of the outboard and “turn” it. You are barely moving it and the wheel is spinning like a top. With a tiller–and with one hand– you can control speed in bursts and steer left to right and back BOOM BOOM. That’s why I prefer a tiller.
    If you fish at all while running the outboard, especially in current, you’ll want a tiller.
    If you are simply driving a boat from spot to spot and then fishing, the wheel is pretty nice.

acafisherman19

Love my Crestliner Fish Hawk tiller, my second boat at around 17′. The added space and the boat control are totally worth it. Boat rides in 20 degree weather and high winds are not really hat fun though.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I went from a 16′ tiller to a 19′ windshield boat. Here are the advantages of the tiller…
    Way more usable room when fishing more than 2 people, contour trolling is much easier, backtrolling is much easier if that’s your thing. The only times I backtrolled were when my bow mount ran out of battery or the wind/waves made it easier. Can’t really back trolling with a wheel boat unless you have a kicker. The ride is much better in a tiller(for the driver) because your sitting in the back.
    Wheel boat…
    You can get out of the weather which is great March-May and Oct/Nov. I kind of doubt a side console will provide much protection compared to a full shield. Can get a bigger motor with a wheel boat which enables you to carry more load and still maintain performance. If you are a troller, you have more room in the back with no drivers seat to fight fish/net fish.

It all depends on your fishing style. I don’t think I’d own a big tiller because I don’t see the need for backtrolling when you have a terrova on the front. I definitely won’t be going back to a tiller, even though I miss it.

catmando
    wis

Nope never even ran a wheel boat been a passagner thou. 12 ft sea king,14ft LunkerSS,1660 Lund Pro V, Tournament Pro 17.5. And my river boat 1442 jon. DK

abster71
    crawford county WI

If your going with a mid size 16.5 would definitely look at the tiller far all the above reasons. Plus your more than likely going to run a 40 to 50 hp motor the 40 hp Yamaha is a great trolling motor with the precision rpm control. One other reason I prefer the tiller is you don’t have to move from the seat start up and roll to the next spot. Just my 2cents.

fishdale

Boat control and roominess goes to the tiller 100% IMHO

Comfort on long cold rainy/snowy days hands down Wheel boat 100% IMHO

I own a tiller!

+1

I have one of each. River fishing and times I don’t need to travel long ways I love the tiller. 5 days fishing in Sept in Canada I bring the console boat. But if I had to pick one to fish in the rest of my life it would be the tiller. I love the openess of the tiller layout.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

In my experience I have always had a console boat. I love them. I also hate to troll and lindy rig. The wheel boat is perfect for what I use it for, traveling to a spot and jig fishing or casting.

That being said I like tillers, the space in them is hands down better. I found tiller boats to be great in for backtrolling/lindy rigging. It seems like control is much easier when trying to hold a contour line.

Like many of the guys have already said, make sure you think about the type of fishing you really enjoy doing before you commit to either style.

Cheers!

Timmy

I have had nice, bigger versions of both Pro-v with 75tiller and tyee console. I really prefer to ride in and drive the wheel boat, but the tiller was a better fishing rig.

With a family now, there is no way I would go back to a boat without a bimini top. Shade is a great thing for this white-skinned finn.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Pretty impressive there hasn’t been any name calling YET! HA’

What others have said.. benefits to both and it all depends on what’s important to you. I’m a tiller guy through and through but you’re just being stupid if you can’t see the other side of the discussion no matter where you stand. Good luck!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Had both, personally think some of the big tillers are a little over the top. I ran a 20 foot Alumacraft Comp 190 with a 90hp tiller for a few years. That is about as big as I would want to wrestle with.

If you have young kids in the boat, tillers are nice. Everything stays in front of you. No one falling out without you seeing it happen.

Funny thing, had back and neck problems all those years running a tiller. Switched to side console and those problems went away! For me, a side console is a great river boat. I’m going to be sitting on a bow mount most of the time anyway. That or anchored up. I never saw any advantage to backtrolling on moving water.

Guy needs about 5 boats!!

-J.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I switched to Console about 15 years ago once I got a 24volt bowmount and never looked back. I do have a 14 ft with 9.9 for small water and rivers and my neck and back get sore as others have stated. I do not feel handicapped ineffective using bowmount to lindy rig or jig.

Mwal

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

If you go tiller I would recommend steer assist. One of my major dislikes is the constant pulling and pushing to steer the boat. It actually takes effort unlike a wheel boat where you can steer with one finger.

waldo8680
    Stoddard, WI

Console guy all the way. With a Terrova up front you have all the control you need. I wish all post on this website would be this civil, any MN/WI sports post go down hill real fast…

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have a 2025 prov LE single console. The cockpit is set back so it is like a tiller but you have a steering wheel and a 225hp motor. It the best of both worlds but as mentioned above,no boat is perfect for every situation. some days a full windshield would be nice. For the way that I fish, the LE works out great, very large front deck for casting, kicker is right behind the captains chair so no remote throttle is needed and you can tiller steer or hook up to the main motor.

sjhauge
    Elgin, MN

Both have pro’s & con’s. My little 1660 Pro-v tiller fishes bigger than it’s size & fits in a smaller space in the garage. But those October & November days it can be real cold. The travel in the wheel boat is hands down better, I like my tiller off plane. Control & clear space.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.