Thinking of skipping MN Deer opener to fish walleyes instead

• walleyevision

Truth be told I’m not a huge deer hunter, but go every year. I have a pretty crappy spot, hunt alone and rarely see, let alone harvest one. I figured what the heck, if I’m going to sit and freeze, I might as well do it while trying to catch a big walter instead.

I’ve never fished open water that late in the season. Anyone have any tips for where to find eyes at this time? Any tactics seem better than most. If I had to guess, casting or trolling husky jerks, pitching paddles tales, and live bait rigging/jigging with big minnows. Does time of day matter much this time of year? Current a bonus?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Where are you located and open to going to? I’m focused on deer that time of year, so not much first hand experience.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Where do you plan to fish? The river bite should begin to turn on with all the tactics you mentioned. As it cools the bite will get better. I tend to find the big fish put the feed bag on during the lower light hours but you can get them all day.

I would never even think of taking up deer hunting because chasing big walleyes in the fall is too fun.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

It really matters on the type of lake you are on. I have fished threw WI gun seasons for years. The lakes I fish are usually oligotrophic or mesotrophic style lakes. This time of the year I have caught fish all day long pitching jigs tipped with minnows next to weeds and fishing very aggressively. If you are on the correct lakes you will catch very nice fish. Dress warm hands get cold this time of year. You should have the lake almost to yourself. Good Luck!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thats the best fishing and duck hunting time of the year

Jensen

We do best in shallow water using buckshot rattles jigging. Depends on body of water you are on.

walleyevision

I’ll likely be fishing the Whitefish Chain

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.