They got it right

• Chris Hesselberg
    Holmen Wi

Onalaska angler gets hefty fine, loses license for 12 years for bag limit violations

CHRIS HUBBUCH [email protected]
    Posted: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 2:41 PM
    An Onalaska angler caught with more than 2,500 panfish will have to pay more than $4,800 and surrender his fishing license for exceeding Wisconsin game limits.

Stanley Paalksnis, 74, could have been fined more than $24,000, although prosecutors requested just over $10,000 in exchange for his plea of no contest to four non-criminal citations.

Paalksnis will also lose the 15-foot boat, motor, trailer and two freezers seized during a search of his home on Nov. 4, 2015, after Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources wardens watched him keep 47 bluegills on Lake Onalaska. The daily limit is 25.

Advertisement: Story Continues Below
    In his house, authorities found 2,066 bluegills, 418 perch and 88 crappies, according to reports. The possession limits are 50 for each species.

Paalksnis told a warden that he had been selling bags of fish in Chicago for about 20 years, according to the reports.

La Crosse County District Attorney Tim Gruenke cited Paalksnis’s history of game violations and stated disregard for law enforcement. Paalksnis was cited eight times, and twice lost his license between 1989 and 2011.

According to police reports, Paalksnis was uncooperative and vulgar when talking to the warden supervisor, telling him if he was younger he would beat him up.

“I hate game wardens,” Paalksnis said. “The only thing I hate more than game wardens is (racial slur for African-Americans).”

“He’s basically ignored the law for years,” Gruenke said. “He seems to be a belligerent, angry person who doesn’t want anyone to tell him what to do.”

Attorney Todd Schroeder said his client lives on Social Security benefits and can no longer indulge his passion for hunting because of health problems.

“At his age, the meaning he finds in life is catching fish,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder objected to the confiscation of Paalksnis’s property and requested a three-year suspension of his fishing license.

Judge Elliott Levine revoked Paalksnis’s license for 12 years, the maximum period allowed, noting that limits are in place to assure everyone equal rights to limited natural resources.

“He’s lost his right to fish,” Levine said. “He’ll have to find another hobby.”

Should wrap up his fishing career. Thank you Judge Elliott Levine for saving our rights to enjoy fishing the right and legal way.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Suspending his license is a mute point. A guy who disrespects Game Wardens, throws out racial slurs in front of them, and has a history of blatant disregard for laws will not change. He is 74 years old and set in his ways. I will predict that he is sitting on a bucket chasing panfish by the end of the month. The only way this guy will “end his fishing career” is if he’s sitting behind bars.

It’s the same exact thought process behind the guys that are repeatedly caught and fined for driving without a license or insurance. Is suspending their license for even longer or adding more fines going to stop them??? coffee

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

agree that he wont change however you do what you can. I applaud the judge for passing down the harshest non financial penalty they could and seizing his boat. I would say he deserves all this and more without hearing that hes apparently a POS of a person to boot. the fact that he is, and hes getting punished just makes it all the better.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

“At his age, the meaning he finds in life is catching fish,”

It is called CPR

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

agree that he wont change however you do what you can. I applaud the judge for passing down the harshest non financial penalty they could and seizing his boat. I would say he deserves all this and more without hearing that hes apparently a POS of a person to boot. the fact that he is, and hes getting punished just makes it all the better.

X2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.