Thermacell

• Joe

Any experience or recommendations on a thermacell unit for the boat? Bugs are terrible this year. Cabelas has Ex90, Mr300, and Mr450. Do these repel gnats as well or just mosquitos? Interested in hearing good and bad or any other ideas.

acarroline

I was literally logging in to post that same question and also ask for recommendations on boat bug spray. Gnats, Skeets, and flies love my legs in the boat!

Reef W

My cabin is in the middle of northern Minnesota swamp woods where the mosquitos are horrible. I always have a thermacell running on the deck while we’re there and definitely think they help. They won’t keep all mosquitos away but there are noticeably less with it then without it. Not sure how well it would work in boat though especially if you are moving at all. They don’t seem to help with biting flies either.

For bug spray I think picaridin based ones work as well as deet and it isn’t harmful to plastics or clothing. Easiest to find is Repel in the red can but there are other brands now too.

Best thing though is just to not have exposed skin. I have several pair of Cresta Hiking pants from LL Bean and they are all I wear in the summer up there. They’re very cool and I think actually cooler than having the sun directly on you wearing shorts. For fishing you have a few extra pockets too. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/122118

B-man

This is the best by a LONG SHOT for biting flies in the boat.

It also has sunscreen (spf30)

And I agree with Reef, loose fitting fishing pants are a must for me.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240711-212214.png

acarroline

Thinking about light wool crew socks, also as an option with shorts,
    Don’t love pants on boat in summer.

For thermacell i like the e50. 55,
    90 versions as they are rechargeable as to avoid the butane cartridges, and you can use the liquid cartridges until they are done or save them versus the originals where the soaked pad can dry out and be single use.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This is the best by a LONG SHOT for biting flies in the boat.

It also has sunscreen (spf30)

And I agree with Reef, loose fitting fishing pants are a must for me.

Bman do use that on you in a boat or just spray it around the boat??? i’ll try anything in the boat cause havent found anything other then a fly swatter that works. i htve long pants fishing went its warm out.

for flies around the yard i have found the skeeter beater granules work fairly good.

for skeeters, i guy from Wi told me about this…..1 gallon water 1tablespoon epson salt and 1 bottle of MINT mouthwash. get the mouth wash at the $1.25 store. mix together in a pump sprayer. and spray the yard. they dont like the mint.

it wont keep them all away but helps like crazy.

Reef W

I hate the heat more than anything and it’s all about the material. Those pants I linked for example I’d choose over cotton shorts, even if there wasn’t bugs, for it being hot and in the sun. My polyester gym shorts on the other hand would be cooler usually, depends on how hot direct sun on skin is, mainly just because they are very thin and have vented sections.

Gregg Gunter

Thermacell does work in the boat. I’ve started using it in the garage for the gnats, with plenty of ventilation. Always have a fly swatter in the boat for ankle biters.

Gitchi Gummi

Permethrin isn’t the end all but it definitely helps to wear clothes treated by it.

tswoboda

Permethrin isn’t the end all but it definitely helps to wear clothes treated by it.

X2 Treated pants, socks, hoody, gloves, and buff is way better than any deet or picaridin spray

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I use one Flathead fishing by the river and they work, not perfect but they work. I also have one in my turkey vest for late season turkey and I use it early squirrel season. I used to spray down with the 40% DEET bug spray, but when you get sweating and it’s running in your eyes it’s no bueno.

Red Reno

For the biting flies, I go to Runnings or Tractor Supply and get horse fly spray and spray it on the inside of the boat. This helps a ton.

B-man

Glenn we use it topical as needed.

It’s mainly needed on people with exposed shins/ankles/feet, but if they’re super bad sometimes above the waist too.

For the actual murder of flies in the boat we use a zapper racket (electrocutes them and is far less messy than a fly swatter) and a Bug-a-Salt (air rifle that shoots salt like a shotgun)

They are fun and effective, for both young and old mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240712-101927.png

2. Screenshot_20240712-101719.png

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn we use it topical as needed.

It’s mainly needed on people with exposed shins/ankles/feet, but if they’re super bad sometimes above the waist too.

For the actual murder of flies in the boat we use a zapper racket (electrocutes them and is far less messy than a fly swatter) and a Bug-a-Salt (air rifle that shoots salt like a shotgun)

They are fun and effective, for both young and old mrgreen

waytogo waytogo with allnthem toys you get any fishing done! whistling rotflol

Erik Swenson

No judgements meant here. I’ve used many repellents and have a Thermacell lantern. However, all those chemicals are tough on our aquatic systems with cumulative effects. A no go around or on the water for me…

We’ve gotten used to wearing bug netting as the primary defense. Some of the other options mentioned look like more fun though!

Gitchi Gummi

reminder to be careful spraying bug spray around your boat electronics. Deet will melt the plastic and you will have permanent spots on the plastic from the overspray (speaking from experience)

CaptainMusky

reminder to be careful spraying bug spray around your boat electronics. Deet will melt the plastic and you will have permanent spots on the plastic from the overspray (speaking from experience)

1000%

Rick Janssen

I have used the Thermacell device for over 10 years now. First had experience on a canoe trip in the BWCWA. Someone brought one along and I thought it would never work, but it DID. Bought my own as soon as I got home. They have made several updates as the years went along. First model was a bit hard to get lite, but I don’t have that trouble now. I always carry two in my vehicle and us them turkey hunting, deer hunting, and anytime I am just sitting around outside. I have used my in my boat, but like stated above, if moving around much it is not as affective. LOVE this device and my son now has two regular ones, and the lantern style for bigger areas.

Gitchi Gummi

and the lantern style for bigger areas

contrary to popular belief, the bigger lantern style thermacells are not anymore effective than the smaller ones. The big lantern style ones still only have a 15 foot protection zone, the same as the handheld devices. Bigger does not = better. They just look more aesthetically pleasing

Gregg Gunter

I kinda think the butane one is better than the rechargeable. I use both

iowa_josh

Anybody drag along a rechargeable fan?

B-man

Anybody drag along a rechargeable fan?

I bring my DeWalt one on hotter days. A five amp battery will last the day on half speed. With extra batteries it can obviously go faster/longer. I can’t say it does much for flies but it’s nice to have a breeze when mother nature isn’t giving you one.

Just used it today in fact. I let the Boys run the show and Dad took a nap in the cuddy with the fan mrgreen

I told them to stay in 200′ or deeper and watch out for boats and logs (tons of debris on Superior right now). One of them yelled “FISH ON!!” and it woke me up.

They reeled in and netted a laker on a 300′ copper by themselves, unhooked it, released it and redeployed the copper with a planer board, all without my help. The only thing I got to do was take a couple pictures toast

Pretty soon I won’t even be needed anymore (and they’ve made me well aware) lol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240713-173529.png

2. Screenshot_20240713-173543-1.png

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.