The weather thread

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Both April and May were well above average in most of the state for precipitation.

June is historically the “wettest” month of the entire year. And July is second.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Glenn that is the problem we get it in short periods of time and then nothing for a long time. IDK how much rain since beginning of may, but it must be nearly a foot. Id have to go through my comments and total everything up, but its definitely 8 inches for sure Id think.

This is from KSTC. 4.17″ in May and 2.28″ in June.

https://www.weather.gov/media/mpx/Climate/STC/may2024.pdf

I can’t get the June printout for some reason.

CaptainMusky

I know for a fact I have had more than that at my house. I had 3.75 in a 3 day span and then another 1.5 3 days later and that was several weeks ago. From Sunday to today I have gotten at least 2 inches. There were many other smaller amounts included in there somewhere.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

I know for a fact I have had more than that at my house. I had 3.75 in a 3 day span and then another 1.5 3 days later and that was several weeks ago. From Sunday to today I have gotten at least 2 inches. There were many other smaller amounts included in there somewhere.

I’m not doubting you. This is just the only official records, other than SCSU meteorology department, and Mr. Weisman is out on vacation until the middle of June, so no updates until he’s back. Obviously there can be a range between two locations no matter how close they are.

CaptainMusky

You are right there Tillr! We saw that a few pages back with the comments on the rain by Long Prairie or wherever that was.

Jimmy Jones

It all depends on where the readings are being taken. Our National Weather service is at our airport, 15 miles from my house and I have literally seen in rain in my yard while across the street the sun was shining and was dry, maybe 100 feet. Our oldest and best television station , KTTC, has a very good weather crew and the station also measures precip there. There’s a lot of instances where they are getting pounded and we are still dry or vice versa. I have three glass gauges in various parts of the yard/gardens plus a digital gauge that’s very accurate….. which reminds me I need to climb up on the roof and put new batteries in it.

People can report rain amounts from all 4 quadrants of Rochester and they’d all be different. We didn’t see all that much rain over the weekend, maybe 2″ at best where I am at, but just west of Rochester a few miles they had over 4″ in one dumping.

JEREMY
    BP

I have had 6″ since Friday

CaptainMusky

I was at the bar yesterday over lunch and they had channel 5 news on which is annoying when at the bar. Anyway Yuhas came on and was doing the weather and showed a “current temp” map of the state and it showed temps in the mid 60s. I said no way that is right because it was 71 when I drove in to work and 80 when I went to lunch. They he showed current dew point map and many of the current dew points were higher than the current temps map which is impossible.

JEREMY
    BP

She would be a foggy some biach

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

As much as I like this site, I already have three weather apps on my phone which never correspond to each other, sure don’t need a fourth.

haleysgold
    SE MN

As much as I like this site, I already have three weather apps on my phone which never correspond to each other, sure don’t need a fourth.

Don’t click on the topic then. Problem solved.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We dont predict the weather here. We report what happened and we are 100% accurate.
    Its called hindsight weather report! jester
    BTW I got 1.25″ from that squall last night. It been great not watering the garden and rainwater is better than city water for that anyways.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When I don’t want to read a topic I just don’t click on it. Pretty much works every time. waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We dont predict the weather here. We report what happened and we are 100% accurate.
    Its called hindsight weather report! jester
    BTW I got 1.25″ from that squall last night. It been great not watering the garden and rainwater is better than city water for that anyways.

Ya its definitely more of a results type thread. I do occasionally try to throw in some predictions. I’ve had several posters indicate that I am their source for weather here lol

The best water always comes from the sky. waytogo

CaptainMusky

When I don’t want to read a topic I just don’t click on it. Pretty much works every time.

I will never understand why people who dont care about something feel the need to post a comment about not caring and just not move a long. Weird people in this world. That is like saying “Im leaving” well good for you, you didnt need to announce your departure I am sure nobody cared.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

BTW, models are hinting at the first significant burst of multi-day heat/humidity arriving to the region sometime later next week. flame

Enjoy the 70’s while you can for the next week or so.

CaptainMusky

Great! Just in time for our trip to Canada. Im sure we will get rocked by storms again, but at least now we are not camping anymore.

Jimmy Jones

Right now the sun is shining and casting great shadows. The wind is whipping pretty good. And it’s raining to beat the band. Minnesota weather at its finest.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A slight disturbance will head eastward tonight into tomorrow across the state.

Tuesday afternoon could bring a chance of severe weather in the eastern portion of the state.

By Wednesday, you will notice the humidity/dewpoint. Its gonna feel like summer out there. Wednesday afternoon/evening has an increased chance of severe weather in almost the entire southern half of the state.

wave

CaptainMusky

The wind has sure been something all year. Man, I dont remember it being always windy like this.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Up here in itasca cty now, rained a nit this morning. It’s a balmy 50 degrees. Had 4 inches of rain in the gauge, so since about May 20th, we’ve had over 6 inches of rain here. The lakes have really came up. waytogo

CaptainMusky

Watch out up North! Reed Timmer is headed up north of brainerd as there is an enhanced risk of severe storms!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Madison, MN reported golf ball sized hail this morning.

A potent line of severe weather is expected to form from the northwest and move southeast later today. This line could contain hail and damaging winds. The period of time is between 3-9pm. The warmer and muggier the air gets this afternoon, the more strength this line will gain.

Charles

Reed and the Strom Chaser Youtubers, Vince & Brandon, I would assume that Connor be up in the area tonight.

Might be bumpy tonight.

CaptainMusky

Reed threw around the term gorilla hail. THey sure love their buzzwords LOL

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

At this point I’m just ordering another prop to get one on the way for both the tritoon and fishing boat. The river is at flood stage and it feels like you’re running a wood chipper as you attempt to idle up the channel. If we wait to go out until the water goes down, we might wait until the summer of ‘25.

Fish are biting if you can steer clear of the trees, picnic tables, lumber, garbage, and most notable the portable basketball hoop that we saw on Monday all coming down stream

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Fish are biting if you can steer clear of the trees, picnic tables, lumber, garbage, and most notable the portable basketball hoop that we saw on Monday all coming down stream

LOL

All that stuff is natural to the river anyways. jester

Pretty soon a sofa and a fridge will be making their way south too. rotflol

Charles

Well the storm chasers are arriving in Minnesota, Brandon is heading to duluth, Timmer said Brainerd, not sure Connor. Going to be a fun night.

3Rivers

Heck yeah! Just what we needed….more rain!

[/end sarcasm]

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 680 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.