The weather thread

• haleysgold
    SE MN

I had 3-4″ hail on July 31st.
    17 year old, Shingled roof will be replaced.

I have a steel shed and detached garage with steel roofs.
    I could see dents but really, not that bad. Siding was the same situation.
    My policy has a clause that states “cosmetic” damage to steel roofs/siding is not covered. Both of them not covered.
    However, they did replace the steel gutters which had minor dents because it’s not part of the roof. WTH?

More and more insurance companies are adding that if it’s not already there.
    Gone are the days of having a couple dents in a steel roof/siding and getting it fully replaced.

I opted for a shingled roof again instead of going steel.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

fishthumper…i get it..stuff is spendy. why nail someone who’s never had a claim.

here’s the part that gets my goat big time. my AF agent was the wife of a coworker, whom the agent was a high school classmate. he told me they were going to FLORIDA for an awards banquet……he didnt pay a dime traveling expense. and then handing out friggin rewards to agents…….on my dime!!!!!! flame BS!!!!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Another line of potentially severe storms is expected to form in Western MN later today and make its way eastward. Similar to the one on Monday night and Tuesday morning. Basically supposed to arrive in Mpls right when the UNC/Gophers game starts. doah

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cant believe it will be as severe. We had monster heat and humidity in front of the last one. Either way good luck out there. All we have to do is make it through this one then a beautiful weekend.

CaptainMusky

Yeah there is a thick cloud deck overhead right now and it never cleared up yesterday. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Charles

Lol, on my insurance claim for the June storms in crosslake. I had a roof replacment and they mention on the report to replace my AC condenser, back door, and gutters, which i did not.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is from NOAA.

Storms that develop could become strong to severe with damaging wind gusts and large hail. An isolated tornado can’t be ruled out. There’s a slight risk (level 2 of 5) of severe storms forecast.

The good news is that after today, the entire Labor Day weekend is looking glorious.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

here’s the part that gets my goat big time. my AF agent was the wife of a coworker, whom the agent was a high school classmate. he told me they were going to FLORIDA for an awards banquet……he didnt pay a dime traveling expense. and then handing out friggin rewards to agents…….on my dime!!!!!! BS!!!!!

That’s pretty rich coming from a union thug Glenn! rotflol jester rotflol

glenn57
    cold spring mn

^^^^^^^ devil devil rotflol rotflol

i went to the store at 5 am…… right now the humidity is like 3X worse now then at 5 am.

they said on the news last night it was going to be sticky today this will fire up storms. they did say it shouldnt be as bad as mondays…….but here we didnt get squat other then rain.

CaptainMusky

Yep, getting muggy out now and sun is peaking through the clouds. Things will happen for sure hopefully no one gets any damage though.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

by the way Bigwerm……i mighta got a couple T-shirts!!!! whistling

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yep, getting muggy out now and sun is peaking through the clouds.

The warmer and muggier it gets, the stronger the storms will be later. Its fuel for them.

Reef W

Attachments:
    1. rain-its-gon-rain.gif

stout93
    Becker MN

Wasn’t too bad here. Some wind, 1/4 inch of rain, all blew through in a matter of 20-30 minutes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There was a tornado on the ground between Cambridge and North Branch.

Over an inch of rain here so far.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just a 1/2 of rain……..no wind but hot dang did it get dark there for a while!!!!

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

ended up with .8 inches today and the most came about 5 and fast…

27eyeguy

Had 2.4 here in NW WI. We can go a week or 3 without any, it’d a soggy mess out here.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Well that one got wild last night. Our big maple tree in the front yard is leaning towards my house now. So sadly I’m going to have to cut it down. The shallow rooted tree didn’t stand a chance. I don’t know exactly where the tornado touched down but I do know that wind was coming from multiple directions and it got pretty spooky. I haven’t ever seen clouds do what they were doing. It was from 5 mph wind to 70ish in the matter of 5 seconds. Lots of trees down in the area.

Jimmy Jones

T about 6:30 yesterday afternoon it got dark enough for the street lights to come on along with all of Ma’s little yard gadgets that have solar lighting. The wind did it’s this way and that way stuff for a few minutes and then it rained a bit. We might have had 1/2″.

The batteries in the digital rain gauge unit apparently died earlier yesterday and I need to get on the roof to replace them. Maybe today with the much cooler temps.

It’s gotten pretty annoying with the local TV stations firing off all these alerts boasting of this and that and then all they talk about is Iowa’s weather. Every community and settlement in the US has civil defense sirens that blow if the weather gets severe, so these stations can go back to saying might rain today/tonight and be done with it if they can’t focus on the area where they are broadcasting from. We have CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC, all in Rochester and all saying something different. I wish they’d put a muzzle on these weather barons and forget about ratings. If they were rated on accuracy all of these stations would be out of business.

Jimmy Jones

T about 6:30 yesterday afternoon it got dark enough for the street lights to come on along with all of Ma’s little yard gadgets that have solar lighting. The wind did it’s this way and that way stuff for a few minutes and then it rained a bit. We might have had 1/2″.

The batteries in the digital rain gauge unit apparently died earlier yesterday and I need to get on the roof to replace them. Maybe today with the much cooler temps.

It’s gotten pretty annoying with the local TV stations firing off all these alerts boasting of this and that and then all they talk about is Iowa’s weather. Every community and settlement in the US has civil defense sirens that blow if the weather gets severe, so these stations can go back to saying might rain today/tonight and be done with it if they can’t focus on the area where they are broadcasting from. We have CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC, all in Rochester and all saying something different. I wish they’d put a muzzle on these weather barons and forget about ratings. If they were rated on unified accuracy all of these stations would be out of business.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Had 2.4 here in NW WI. We can go a week or 3 without any, it’d a soggy mess out here.

I’ve gotten that this week too since Monday. The ground is definitely saturated. The forecast does look dry for about a week or so now, and no storms or sweltering heat.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well that one got wild last night. Our big maple tree in the front yard is leaning towards my house now. So sadly I’m going to have to cut it down. The shallow rooted tree didn’t stand a chance. I don’t know exactly where the tornado touched down but I do know that wind was coming from multiple directions and it got pretty spooky. I haven’t ever seen clouds do what they were doing. It was from 5 mph wind to 70ish in the matter of 5 seconds. Lots of trees down in the area.

they mentioned it onthe news last night with the ground being as saturated as it is, alot of trees are being uprooted!!!!

JEREMY
    BP

Didnt even rain enough to get my driveway wet under the trees.

JEREMY
    BP

It’s gotten pretty annoying with the local TV stations firing off all these alerts boasting of this and that and then all they talk about is Iowa’s weather

I hate when they talk about the very severe storm heading for the south metro but only focus the radar for the north metro and dont evn show the rest.

Gregg Gunter

Mayor declares state of emergency in Cottage Grove. Twelve houses damaged, 3000 without power. We had 75mph winds, 2.5 inches of rain, flash flooding, trees on homes and streets. I just finished cleaning up yesterday and now I have to do it again. Have 20 walnut trees so downed branches, leaves and hundreds of walnuts. Seriously if you like black walnuts come and get them!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3767-scaled.jpeg

Jimmy Jones

I hate when they talk about the very severe storm heading for the south metro but only focus the radar for the north metro and don’t even show the rest.

Last night our pet Rochester station showed a radar screen full of red from the Cities down thru Iowa. Rochester showed red. So where were they focused? Iowa. We sure as heck didn’t see any severe weather, so why labor us with all the first alert crap and talk about what can be better addressed by an Iowa based station?

What’s worse, is that here in Rochester with 4 stations that are national, when one does the aleart, they all jump on board and tie up airtime. If there isn’t a tornado around, why can’t they just shut the F up? Ratings. I wish they all knew how stupid they can while trying to word things just a hair different to say the same thing as the other stations. And none of them have any reason to be worrying people when there’s nothing but some weather coming. People have gotten along for decades without all the First Alert mumbo jumbo.

Dang, if these stations see something in the weather that’s going to impact Rochester, then focus on Rochester. Iowa has plenty of TV coverage of their own. Let them deal with their weather. The same for the Twin Cities. Why should Rochester stations declare a Forst Alert , as they are called, then ramble on about the Twin Cities? It seems to me the Twin Cities have more than enough coverage right there.

Thge weather reports during the evening news used to be informative and interesting to watch. Now if a lightning strike happens in Tear Drop Iowa, 400 hundred miles away, we get a first alert and they tie up the regular broadcasting for two hours to explain the occurance. And to tell us what might be happening. It’s all ratings. The more they can justify these events, the higher they can climb in the ratings. Its a pile of crap.

Viewing 30 posts - 601 through 630 (of 679 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.