The weather thread

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Dang I’m somewhere between you guys closer to BC. Somehow we missed it just a lot of rain

Jimmy Jones

I’ve been watching the lightning show to the north of Rochester for over an hour now. Unbelievable, non-stop lightning. I know they can tabulate how many lightning strikes are produced during a storm…. it has to be in the tens of thousands in this one.

The air temp fell off about 20 degrees quickly about an hour ago and we now have a substantial blow going so sitting on the patio or porch and watching the light show will continue.

I’ll bet that I’ve seen a dozen small planes flying along the boundary of this cell…. must be getting some aerial photos of the storm.

Wabasha and Goodhue counties were under the storm waning and just from seeing the lightning and the huge clouds jutting up in the air I’ll bet they got pounded. Haley’s Gold or Buckybadger….. any reports on rain or damage?

haleysgold
    SE MN

Wasn’t that light show awesome!
    Wish I could post the video of it but it’s too large.

And the temp drop was crazy. Wind picked up about 8:30 and it went from miserable to nice in 60 seconds.
    I thought we were in for a nasty ride. Then the wind died a bit and it rained a little. Lightning and thundered like crazy but that’s about it.
    Looks like everything went North of me.

The Lake City high school only had .08″ so it was all North of them too.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Currently pulled over on 212 going to glencoe and it all of a sudden got way windy, hail amd extreme rain. Went from 72 mph to I can’t see going 5

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Round 2 again here early this morning. Another wind burst, heavy rain, and a lot of lightning/thunder. My power lines are buried underground here so can’t lose power from weather. At my last house only 6 miles away, I would lose power about once a year from a storm.

CaptainMusky

Gim there are still above ground lines somewhere that could get taken out. We have inground power lines too but lose power frequently. Live here 26 years and its happened a lot. Once had gophers chew threw the lines and it shorted out everything in the house.
    We had like 3 rounds last night into this morning. Latest was around 4 AM I think. Pretty dang loud.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gim there are still above ground lines somewhere that could get taken out. We have inground power lines too but lose power frequently. Live here 26 years and its happened a lot. Once had gophers chew threw the lines and it shorted out everything in the house.

I woudln’t call a gopher chewing through underground lines “weather or storm related” loss of power. But I see your point.

This neighborhood has been here since 1998 (I’ve only lived here since May 2022) and its never lost power. The only overhead power lines are the massive steel ones lining the interstate that look like the eiffel tower.

CaptainMusky

I woudln’t call a gopher chewing through underground lines “weather or storm related” loss of power. But I see your point.

Never said it was just stating that there are other things that can take out underground lines. Ive lost power tons of times because of an overhead line somewhere or a capacitor or something shorting out in the winter. Ive lived here for 26 years so I have been here a while. 2 years isnt very long to form an opinion on whether you will lose power. It was probably 5 years before we lost power the first time.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

2 years isnt very long to form an opinion on whether you will lose power.

Exactly. That’s why I asked my neighbors who have been here since the houses were built in 1998. No power loss 26 years and counting. peace

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Lost power last night at 7:12 pm and came on this morning at 6:40 am. I’ve lived in this house for 34 years and I think that’s the longest power outage I’ve had. The last one about a month ago at 4-5 hours was long for me. Usually 10-60 minutes. Cleaning out the fridges. They both got to 47 degrees for who knows how long. Freezers were OK.

CaptainMusky

That is pretty incredible to not lose power regardless of in ground lines.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I woke up to 2 phone calls this morning, the first from my parents in Western WI telling me they had half of their front oak tree on their roof. It’s a 100+ year old tree with power lines through it.

The second call was was from my brother in law telling me they had a dozen or so white pines on their new cabin and deck up near Birchwood.

I love helping people, but being everyone’s handyman/on call problem fixer in the family sure eats into my minimal free time. There’s going to be a hefty bourbon bill involved with the cleanup.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

1.25″ here. We dodged the worst wind.

CaptainMusky

If a tree lands on your house insurance should cover that.

Stanley

1 1/2in here. Missed out on the severe stuff. Just some thunder and lightning.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m sure many of you remember the Rapidan Dam issue back in June. Recent drone footage of the damage and alteration of the river’s flow was taken.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We had like 3 rounds last night into this morning. Latest was around 4 AM I think. Pretty dang loud.

Do you have a rain gage, I’m curious how much this area got. The last round around 4 am came down really hard, So did the 1st rounds around 8-9 last night.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

fishthumper……just west of you and CptMuskie…….i had 3/4!!!

CaptainMusky

FT I do have a gauge but I haven’t emptied it. I forgot to empty it last time so there was .63 already in it but there is well over an inch in there now

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

FT I do have a gauge but I haven’t emptied it. I forgot to empty it last time so there was .63 already in it but there is well over an inch in there now

I would have thought it was well over a Inch for sure. I would not have been surprised if it was 2″+ I miss having a rain gauge. Have to get one next summer for sure. Broke mine at the start of the summer and just forgot to replace it.

CaptainMusky

Just emptied it and it’s just shy of 2 inches for me from last night.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

1.62″ for me. So the corn is the only thing that has done well for me this year. Frickin’ wind from the storm last night or this morning. flame
    No big deal on the mature stuff. It’ll still eat fine. Had some again tonight. I was hoping the second planting might make it. Not anymore. I did have to straighten each planting when the were about a foot tall from being blown over.

Attachments:
    1. corn-1-scaled.jpg

Charles

My folks down in Bradford, lost about 40 trees during the storm, its a mess around that area.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just emptied it and it’s just shy of 2 inches for me from last night.

That seem about what I would have guessed it at.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

This last storm seemed to do a fair amount of damage in several area’s. Yet again not what the home insurance industry needs. We were sailing alone rather well till about a month or so ago. But several of these last big storms have one again caused a fair amount of wind and hail damage to home’s and auto’s. Not real sure what is going on with the weather these last few years, but Minnesota has had far more storm related damage than for probably ever in a 3 year period. Hope it does not continue.

CaptainMusky

Yeah the Sartell and Sauk Rapids areas have been hit particularly hard the several years with hail, etc. I know a guy got everything fixed and then 2 days later it was destroyed again.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea i got a letter from American Family with whom i got my homeowners policy through saying they were raising my out of pocket deductable……by quite a bit because of it.

i,ve had them since i built the house in 1979, never filed a claim…….and this.

effin crooks……….

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

yea i got a letter from American Family with whom i got my homeowners policy through saying they were raising my out of pocket deductable……by quite a bit because of it.

i,ve had them since i built the house in 1979, never filed a claim…….and this.

effin crooks……….

A ton of changes coming to the home insurance world. Watch your renewals close. Lots of companies changing to forced % wind and hail deductibles. This will be a % of the coverage A limit on your home. Basically the reconstruction cost of your home, Some at 1% some 2% and Ive seen some at 5%. Also a big change on payouts on roof damage. Most are going to a scheduled depreciation amount based on age of roof. The days of full replacement cost no matter how old the roof is soon to be gone. This is something that should have been changed a long time ago. Putting a new roof on a home with a 20-30 year old roof simply for the cost of a low deductible should never had been the norm. The point of insurance is to make you whole. Not lose and not gain. Getting a new roof on a home that the roof was 20-30 years old is not being made whole. You are gaining from that big time. Just be happy most insurance companies are still doing home insurance here in Minnesota. Some are pulling out of the state totally like most all have from Calf. and Florida.

Viewing 30 posts - 571 through 600 (of 681 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.