The weather thread

• Jimmy Jones

Who’s getting heavy rain today? Here in Roch the thunder just announced another mess of heavy rain to go with the deluge we’ve had for the last couple hours. If this keeps up I might be able to cast in the Mississippi by standing atop the Lake Zumbro dam and cast downstream.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

No rain here since this morning and that was minimal.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Same. Just some minor dog urine here today.

Jimmy Jones

The Park Department here has just closed the gates along bike path routes that follow the streams and rivers here in town.

I want to go out and check my good glass gauge but don’t want to have to put the diving gear on to get to it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

The Park Department here has just closed the gates along bike path routes that follow the streams and rivers here in town.

I want to go out and check my good glass gauge but don’t want to have to put the diving gear on to get to it.

rotflol diving gear! rotflol

Yesterday they were clamoring about 1-2 inches here, according to them now it might rain about 7 tonight sleeping coffee

stout93
    Becker MN

Wow…nothing here either so far today. Went from a forecast of 2-3 inches today down to a 1/4 inch at most tonight..

KP
    Hudson, WI

I’m glad we are missing the rain today, words I would not have said last summer haha

Ron F
    Rochester MN

Right at 3 inches today on the North side of Rochester.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Had 1.3” overnight, and another half inch today.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I got about 3/4 of an inch last night. There’s a decent rain coming down now.

There is some massive flooding in southwest MN, southeast SD, and northwest IA. The Big Sioux River has spilled over its banks and is cresting at 39 feet.

CaptainMusky

Reed Timmers headed to St cloud Monday fantastic.

Jimmy Jones

Its dumping again here now.

There’s a park where the Zumbro River and Cascade Creek merge right behind the house and the park is getting filled up with water pretty good now. Now wind at all, just straight down dumping. Got some lightning and thunder with the rain too. Not one of the many cells that have had rain in them offered up a nice gently rain, just these super sized down pours.

Lake Zumbro, north of Rochester is up 5 feet and still climbing, but then most everything that falls north of the airport here and south of Zumbrota goes into that lake.

The Cascade had shown signs of dropping a bit but the river has risen enough now to back the creeks water up. Now with this shot and a couple more looming to the west things will pick back up again tonight. Hard telling how things will turn out.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

3 inches in an hour SE of Ferryville yesterday.

Attachments:
    1. 20240622_180019-scaled.jpg

2. 20240622_174510-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

HEY……..its not raining this morning!!!!!!! yay yay yay

and looks like no rain for 4 straight days in the forecast!!!!!! yay yay whistling waytogo

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Looks like a couple days of 80s but I am seeing a cool trend out after that. Got a couple sources saying highs in the upper 60s and low 70s in the Brainerd / Mille Lacs area which is pretty crazy for end of June. Not much swimming for the kiddos yet this year …

CaptainMusky

Some horrific photos from Iowa right now. South of Sioux falls SD got like 18 inches over the last few days.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Some horrific photos from Iowa right now. South of Sioux falls SD got like 18 inches over the last few days.

That’s insane.

CaptainMusky

Yeah I saw a photo this morning of someone’s father in laws house and water was up to the soffit!

LabDaddy1

Unreal. From severe droughts to biblical flooding.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

https://www.keyc.com/livestream/

This is live coverage of the Rapidan Dam on the Blue Earth river. They’re worried the dam is going to fail. And of course the Blue Earth dumps into the Minnesota and the Minnesota dumps into Pool 2 so all of this is headed our way too.

Steve

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Wow, that is spooky crazy $hit right there! shock

-J.

ThunderLund78

If you’ve never been to the Rapidan Dam, it’s a lot bigger than you might think, especially given it’s location in very FLAT southern MN. The landscape gives way to the Blue Earth river gorge out of nowhere – which is very deep and the dam is very big. Looks like the dam is still holding but the water (a LOT of it) found a way around. If that thing busted open, I think all hell would break loose. I hope it doesn’t come to that. More rain tonight, but hopefully mostly north of there.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

fished below that dam many times… bad deal…

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

That is some angry water.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Astonishing. I can see why the water found a way around. So much debris piled up where the water is supposed to go.

3Rivers

For perspective, that DAM is 87′ high. Mostly silt on the backside, but SO much water. I’ve watched livestream coverage of it for most of the morning. Looks like the river found a new channel. Dam will likely not survive this event either way though, the MNDNR has been wanting to remove it for a long time.

Record level floods still expected along most of the MN River Valley this week. (

BigWerm
    SW Metro

June 24, 2024 at 12:27 pm#2278263
    If you’ve never been to the Rapidan Dam, it’s a lot bigger than you might think, especially given it’s location in very FLAT southern MN. The landscape gives way to the Blue Earth river gorge out of nowhere – which is very deep and the dam is very big.

Very good point TL, I visited it in college and it blew my mind how big and seemingly out of place it was.

Viewing 30 posts - 301 through 330 (of 751 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.