The Virus is Giving Me the Chance to Clean My Shop

• Leo Dogg

It is long over due. My shop needs a good cleaning. The normal dust, dirt and spider webs are easily managed.

But, what in the heck do you doe with the pounds of nuts, bolts and washers that are stored in coffee cans for future use. This hardware is leftover from projects and stuff I’ve tore apart over many years.

I HATE to toss this stuff in the trash.

Anyone have any ideas on a good way to get rid of this stuff?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Iowaboy1 uses that stuff for sinkers when he’s bullheading.

blackbay
    mn

OMG I hope this is stuff is over before it gets nice out and my wife gives me her honey do list. doah

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The coffee can morphed into a 5 gallon bucket. It has saved me countless trips to the hardware store. Why would you consider getting rid of it?

DTW

I have about 30 years of nuts bolts, connectors etc. I have plastic containers that are designated for very big, Big, medium, small and very small stuff. Like super Dave said, it saves me trips to the hardware store. I got this habit from my dad and grandpa. 5 gallon bucket seems too big to dump out to find something.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I have three 5gal buckets. One for nuts and washers, one for bolts, and one for random brake parts. It’s a pain to dump them out. I use it as a last resort but I almost always find what I need when I go there.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

My aunt got hit in the eye with a sinker by a guy using a 1” nut as a sinker. This was probably in the early 70’s but she lost that eye.

What were they fishing for? You guessed it….bullheads. This was a little pothole lake in southern mn. Just a few miles from the Iowa border.

Iowaboy, ever been near Avoca, mn?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

My aunt got hit in the eye with a sinker by a guy using a 1” nut as a sinker. This was probably in the early 70’s but she lost that eye.

What were they fishing for? You guessed it….bullheads. This was a little pothole lake in southern mn. Just a few miles from the Iowa border.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Oh my rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Poor iowaboy. rotflol rotflol

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I kept random partial boxes of decking screws and various types of nails for years and finally put them all in apple boxes and took them to thrift store, along with a wide assortment of hammers and various other tools I no longer used. I came home much lighter but had a nice check in my pocket and so far haven’t missed any of it yet.

I cleaned out the work room last week and scrubbed the rubber floor mats. Its amazing how much crud collects on a floor and on the rubber mats over the winter just injecting plastic baits, airbrushing hard baits, and casting jigs.

I took a huge pile of terry cloth bath towels to the Laundromat to wash and dry that day too. I use these for clean-up in addition to paper towels but there comes a point where they need a bath and better at a facility than in our washer/dryer just to keep peace.

catnip
    south metro

Use the time to sort them out. It goes a lot faster if you just go by general size instead of exact size and thread pitch. Like every one else said it just saves time and $ not going to the hardware store. Otherwise put the bucket on craigslist.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well I haven’t reached the & gallon pail threshold yet. And if sure is nice not to have to run to the store all the time.

Iowaboy1

Nope,the bullheads I catch require a much larger nut than one inch to keep the bait down!!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

We laugh now. When I was a kid she would take it out to mess with us. If you weren’t paying attention she’d purposely go crossed eyed or point it the opposite of her good eye.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

Nope,the bullheads I catch require a much larger nut than one inch to keep the bait down!!

You got some BAB’s down in iowegia.

Big Ass Bullheads.

Iowaboy1

We sure do Matt, I water skied barefoot behind one for over an hour before it got tuckered out enough I could wrangle him back to shore.

Iowaboy1

To give you an idea of the size of the bait we used,we would catch a opossum and run a hay hook just under it’s spine and fling him into the water.

Once in a while we drag him out so it could catch it’s breath and we’d fling it out again,we learned to bring em in sooner after we accidentally drowned a few of em.

Deleted

We have a local scrapper that takes almost anything. I just set my old pads & rotors on my driveway for him and texted him. Gone in no time.

Deuces

rotflol rotflol you guys are hilarious

Hey Matt, my Gramps had one eye. When my mom would have sleepovers he’d take it out in front of her friends, and say he would be watching them and not be naughty!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Habitat for humanity will probably take it depending on what shape it is in. It depends on where you live. In the Twin Cities they are pretty particular on what they take since they get so many donations, but other dropoffs are more likely to take it.

We just cleaned out my dad’s garage and gave them enough stuff to build two houses. It was a good reminder to not hoard every single thing just because ‘someday I may need that’. doah

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

My parents were born in the thirties on farms in Nebraska to folks that experienced the depression. When I was a kid my dad would give me a can of used nails and have me straighten them out with a hammer on the driveway. Nothing went to waste.
    I hoard lumber like nobody’s business!

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Hey Thomas where do you live I used to have a scaper in my area but he has since passed on. Have some steel to get rid of . I’m in coon rapids any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.