Cajun Boil

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

As some of you know, my dad passed away last year. Like most of us after sad events like this I had some regrets, things I wish we would have done together. Something dad always wanted to do was have all his neighbors at the lake and family over to his cabin for a cajun boil.

While we are still trying to figure out what we’re going to do with his cabin we invited all his friends over to the cabin on Saturday for a huge feast of cajun food,ice cold beer and shared stories about dad.

This was a first for me so I researched many recipes and got to work.

We used two turkey fryers.
    Zatarain makes a seasoning packet that comes in a pouch that you just throw in the water.
    All the ingredients were divided between the two pots.
    Ten pounds red potatoes
    Six vadalia onions
    Seven pounds sausage.(andoule and kielbasa)
    24 ears of sweetcorn, cut in half
    Ten pounds medium shrimp

I ordered twenty pounds of seasoned,boiled and frozen crawfish from Louisiana Crawfish Co.

Once the water comes to a boil add the seasoning bags.
    Then add the potatoes (leave whole) allow water to return to a boil and cook for 5 min.

Add the onions (quartered) and sausage and cook for 15 min.

Add the corn and cook ten min. or until potatoes are done.

Add the shrimp and cook about 3 min. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp.

Instead of straining through a colander I scooped it out with a large spider into buckets. We then dumped it out on a picnic table covered with newspaper.

I heated up the crawfish briefly in the oven.

We had various seasonings out for people to add.

All I can say is I’m sorry I hadn’t done this long ago! It was excellent. This is a great way to feed a lot of people with minimal work and cleanup. P,us there’s a bit of a novelty aspect to the whole thing.

It was a wonderful day, the food was a big hit, the beer was ice cold and there was a lot of loud laughs (and some tears)

This is something I’ll definitely be doing again! And I’m going to get better at not putting things off.

Here’s to ya pops toast

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Awesome. We do the same thing once or twice a summer, but my BIL’s always drink a little too heavily and overcook the shrimp. )

I introduced everyone to andouille last summer. It’s a necessity, in my opinion.

My kids love the crayfish. )

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Awesome.

We’ve done a cajun boil every July 4th for the last 10 years. As a good and lifelong Minnesotan of Bohemian heritage, and married to a woman who is half British, half New Zealander, it seemed a natural fit…

Yes, the andouille is an absolute necessity!

Where did you guys get it? I used to go to the butcher shop at Tim and Toms Speedy Market in the Como area, but they quit doing the raw links. I really don’t like the pre-cooked stuff that’s from supermarkets.

Anyone got a good source of the real deal?

Agree on the shrimp. I always get raw ones and then basically, I dump the shrimp in, stir the boil once, and then it’s done. The shrimp are the last thing in and by the time you stir it and drain the water off, they are done just right.

I’m hungry now.

Grouse

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Anyone got a good source of the real deal?

Agree on the shrimp. I always get raw ones and then basically, I dump the shrimp in, stir the boil once, and then it’s done. The shrimp are the last thing in and by the time you stir it and drain the water off, they are done just right.

I’m hungry now.

Grouse

the only time I ever get cooked shrimp is for shrimp coctail, and not always then. The shrimp was done just like Grouse said, BRIEFLY.
    I’ve been enjoying andouille sausage for decades, in jambalaya, chili and on and on.
    I’ll get the info on the sausage and pass it along.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yes, I may put myself in charge of the shrimp this year. )

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Hackenmueller is where we get ours.
    I was really pleased with how good and easy it was. Will definitely be doing it again.

Ryan Hughes

How full of water are the pots before adding anything into the boil? We are thinking about doing this this coming weekend while at the lake camping.

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

Belletaine – I want to thank you for providing the recipe…. Last week I had two turkey fryers filled with your recipe….. Big success ! Everyone was always used to the traditional hamburgers, hotdogs or brats for our annual party. I suggested your recipe and all agreed to give it a try… To say the least, they all wanted to have this again in the near future…

Thanks for the idea and the recipe !!!

Jon

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Glad you enjoyed it Jon! It’s very tasty and pretty easy.

Ryan, I think the pot is about a third full. Just put your first ingredients in the pot while it’s cold and cover with with water by a couple inches. Then take the stuff out and fire it up.

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

Ye Old Butcher Shop in Rochester has fresh links of the sausage and is a must have!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.