The IDO Dog Park in the Sky

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

It will be gaining a new member tomorrow evening and I’ll just warn them that she is spunky.

The end of September when we brought Athena in for her yearly checkup, the bloodwork uncovered some bad levels of various things in her blood. When we brought her in she was normal. All indication were that she had renal (Kidney) failure.

She spent three days during business hours at the vet on IV to try and clear out the toxins and get her levels under control. Every night she came back stressed with a bad cough that kept her up most the night. The new blood results showed some better numbers, but not good enough. We took her up 2 more days for IV.

After all of that with no real improvement to where we may be able to manage the disease, we decided to bring her home for hospice care. It was tough. Stage 4 renal failure is bad and will take a dog pretty quick. Our vet prepped us by saying there would be good days and bad days. I assumed we were looking at 1 or 2 weeks to spend with her.

So we were sent home with meds and fluids and a dog that was not as energetic as she was before the check up.

Every day I worked with her in the morning and the evening to get the meds in her and get her to eat the special kidney food. She didn’t take a liking to the meds and I had to use a syringe to administer it orally. Also everyday we had to give her sub q fluids, it was something something she initially tolerated. Eventually she got better, way better, she was normal, tail wagging high, barking, aggressively begging for treats with a lot of energy. She also started begging me for car rides and walks by standing by the garage door and I obliged. She even started eating the meds on her own, no more struggling with the syringe and her fighting.

Back to the fluids. If you are not familiar with Subcutaneously delivering fluids in a dog, you basically have a IV set up with a needle on the end. Every day I would lift the loose skin above her shoulders and poke her with the needle to deliver the fluids. Not very fun and I’d get anxiety when we first started doing it. Not only that I started by delivering sitting on the floor which eventually screwed up my back arching it for 10-20 minutes at a time. We were able to adjust how we did it and my back recovered, however Athena was growing increasingly unwilling to do it. She’d struggle, whimper and scratch at her back afterward. Eventually Thanksgiving weekend (almost 2 months) we decided with her shaking and struggling it wasn’t worth putting her through it with whatever time remained.

As the toxins have built up in her, her breath has started smelling faintly like a old stall that hasn’t been flushed. I can’t imagine how horrible that must make her feel.

4 days ago Sunday she started going downhill fast. Her appetite is lost, not drinking much, you can tell she is uncomfortable and probably in some pain. She’s pretty much just hanging in the bed by the door. Again, I can’t imagine and I don’t want it to be how I remember her. So tomorrow we decided is the day we end the pain and suffering.

I do feel very blessed that we found out when we did and were able to get about 10 weeks of the Athena I know and love. If I didn’t know better I would have thought she miraculously had healed.

So now for the happy stuff. I helped my wife (New GF at the time) buy Athena. We drove all the way up to north of Park Rapids and Tuffy who was 4 at the time came along too. She was a little ball of fur wearing a tiny T-shirt. We stopped for out first of what would be many DQ pup cups over the years.

Athena has always been the pack leader of our 3 dogs. She would put Apollo in his place from time to time. She used to have really long flowing hair, but we ended up giving her groomed and a short haircut down here the last couple of years, which I was initially wasn’t sure of, but I grew to like.

She absolutely loves snow and ice. Winters she would plop down on the snow on the coldest days and I’d have to beg her to come into the house. In spring she would cling to the last snow bank every year. Then she discovered coolers with ice. She would jump in them when you were not looking, otherwise I would set her in there or I’d put ice in a shallow plastic container for her to lay on.

At some point we taught her to point to her belly or pray for a belly rub. This evolved over the years to her pointing to her belly any time I asked without me giving a command. The fact that I rarely turned her down reinforced it and it became a pretty constant deal. That’s probably going to be one of those things I will reminisce and remember over and over.

She is a very smart girl. If you paid attention she would tell you things. It may have been a lassie like running from one place to you and back or pointing with her head.

I think she likes me, but man does she love her mom. Probably because her mom sets rules and boundaries and isn’t a pushover. She will run around the house in a panic looking for her mom if she doesn’t know where she is. When her mom was gone or on vacation she would just stare at the door and bark at any sound that might mean she was home.

Besides ice, she loved little kiddy pools. She’d lay in those on hot days. Then we found out she loves to swim when we were in the keys for our wedding.

What I may end up missing the most is her hugs. If I was sitting down, especially in the lanai, whe would walk up to my legs on her own and rub the side of her face on them and then just press her face against them.

I swear she would smile at me. There are so many other things.

Yes, I am going to miss that girl, but I am so grateful for having her in our lives these last 11 years.

Some day I’ll see you at that IDO dog park in the sky my little Athena.

Attachments:
    1. 20171112_090412.jpg

2. DSC_1405.jpg

3. 20170304_105816.jpg

Dan
    Southeast MN

Very, very sorry to hear Pug. Most of us know that this is, in fact, the passing of a family member and is extremely tough to go through. Sounds like you’ve got a lot of good memories and she looks like a lot of fun.

munchy
    NULL

Very sorry Pug frown

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

That sucks, Pug. I’m glad to hear she brought so much joy to your life. Hang in there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In life you need to make memories to fill the holes when those you love leave you.

bigpike

Sorry Pug , hang in there.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

So sorry for your loss Pug. I have shed many tears when one of our 4 legged family members have passed on. Cherish the great memories that you had. Dogs don’t live near long enough that is for sure.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sorry to hear that.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

So sorry Pug
    We too will be sending our Gertie to that Dog Palyground in the heavens
    tomrrow at aprox 2:30 Wisconsin time. It’s going to make for a full day or sadness yet also so many memories.

Gertie, a full blown Pug was recused by us about 11 years ago.
    She had lived a horrible life to that point. A Mill puppy brought up to do nothing but make litters.
    They left her in a cage to eat her own bowel as a source for protien and food.
    I would love to get my hands on these people for just a few minutes alone with
    torture so bad it can’t even be disccused here but that’s a whole nother story.

It took us about a month to break her of some really bad habbits but it was so worth it!!!
    She has been such a good friend and think she wanted to give so much back for saving her from such missory.
    Since that time, we have rescued two other wonderful dogs (and also lost 1 of almost 15 years)
    along with about 6 Fosters (which I am suprised we didn’t end up with 2 of those, but that also is a different story)
    Girtie can’t see or hear anymore and now can’t control bodily functions very well
    I beleive dimensha (how ever that’s splelled) has maybe set in and we needed to face the fact her quality of life just isn’t what it needs to be for her to be happy.
    She will have lived to be 15 years 3 months and we got to have her for over 11 of those so like yourself Pug, we feel very, very fortunate.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow
    Keep those memories close to your heart as that I am sure that’s what they want

So once again, we move on.

Happy Holidays everyone
    Mike

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sorry to hear that Mike, but it also warms my heart to hear what you did and how Gertie got a life she deserves.

Another sort of coincidence is Tuffy my pug is also 15, mostly blind and possibly deaf. It is hard to tell because he never has listen to me. I hope he stays for a while, I don’t want to go through this in succession.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

#1 thing about dogs….they never judge us. They accept us for who & what we are.

I’ll have fonder memories of my last dog then many people I have known in life, which is sad I guess.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

That’s funny Pug, I never gave thought to the fact Maybe Gertie can hear but but just doens’t want to listen. Well that may have been the case up to recenetly, but there’s no boubt, She’s Deaf
    May he pretend to be Deaf to you for a few more years to come.
    Good luck to you all tomorrow, it sure isn’t going to be easy…. that’s for sure.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

#1 thing about dogs….they never judge us. They accept us for who & what we are.

I’ll have fonder memories of my last dog then many people I have known in life, which is sad I guess.

As the saying goes, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice. Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

Good luck to you all tomorrow, it sure isn’t going to be easy…. that’s for sure.

Good luck to you too.

With all the good hours a dog will give you, the toughest are the final ones.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Sorry Pug

Sorry Mike

Especially at Christmas time.

I hope I become 1/2 as good of a person as my dogs think I am.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Very sorry to hear Pug.. Always very very difficult!

?????

Sorry to hear that Pug and Mike. We put our 18 year old setter down last summer so I know the feeling. Dogs are family!

One thing I have learned that the more people I meet the better I like my dog. LOL!! good luck and try tyo have a merry christmas!!

Nice Fella

Very nice tributes to your long time companions. It’s a very emotional time and all you can do is cherish the many memories. Sorry for each of your loss.

CaptainMusky

Sorry to hear all of this Pug! Sad times indeed. We often overlook how much dogs mean to us and then something like this really shakes us into perspective.
    No matter how bad their day is, they always come over wagging their tail. There isn’t a more loyal companion. I am sure you will miss her greatly, but she was happy each day you guys took care of her.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sorry for your loss, Pug. The hardest thing about having animals in your life is that you have to so what’s best for them no matter what.

Grouse

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

So sorry Pug
    Gertie, a full blown Pug was recused by us about 11 years ago.
    She had lived a horrible life to that point. A Mill puppy brought up to do nothing but make litters.
    They left her in a cage to eat her own bowel as a source for protien and food.
    I would love to get my hands on these people for just a few minutes alone with
    torture so bad it can’t even be disccused here but that’s a whole nother story.

Mike,
    I had gotten a yellow lab that came from a similar background. Was used just to make more yellow labs to sell. She was kept in a crate for most of 24 hours in a day and when I got her, there was no hair on her entire rear end. Just red, bare, irritated skin. The person handing the dog over said that she always was like that and probably would for the rest of her life. Lo and behold, within 2 weeks of my having her, the hair was growing back.

She is gone now… cry So I know what what both you and Pug are going through now. My condolences.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Of course tonight she is acting better. I am beginning to think they know it and accept it, but it screws with you head. I should be happy she isn’t suffering as much.

I came home and hand fed her a bunch of ice. She jogged to the kitchen after dinner because that’s when they get their treats. After a potty break she went to the bed and passed out. I though ok, the food is straining her body, but now she went to the bed to get in with the wife.

I should be, and I am, grateful she’s feeling better, but it’s tough when you’ve made the decision.

Thank you all for the wishes. I felt I needed to write it all out, it was cathartic.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Pug, When it comes to good days and bad days it’s time.

It’s easy to understand why a dog is a man’s best friend.

Damn Dogs!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Sorry to hear about Athena.It’s one of the toughest decisions to make.Hang in there and remember the good times,they will eventually over come the sadness. RIP ATHENA.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

From one dog lover to another….I feel your pain

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I feel your pain too we just put our four year old lab down last Wednesday. It sure is quiet in the house.

Attachments:
    1. 22A45D71-EBBD-400F-B444-E4CD81D3B4AA.jpeg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

So sorry for your loss Mike.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Heartbreaking. bawling

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

So sorry, Mike. You gave her a good life, so take comfort in that.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thank you everyone for letting me bend your ears and for the well wishes.

I sobbed like a 6 year old lost who lost his mom in a store at the vet for 10 minutes. It was actually a relief, I’ve been keeping it in.

She is in a better place. Rest in peace sweet Athena, I’ll see you again.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1513385376604.jpg

Iowaboy1

Pug,so sorry,a man cannot put into words how we feel about our friends,especially when its time for them to go.
    I wrote in a post a year or so ago about when my time comes,all of those great dogs I have owned and hunted with, or in some way have been part of my life will be waiting for me to cross over and guide me home.

I know Athena will be waiting for you too and her tail will be wagging with much anticipation waiting for your hand to pet her again.
    I hope I speak for all us dog owners when I say,we should feel privileged that the Good Lord trusted us with one of his pets for a moment in time.
    I just wish it didnt hurt so bad when He calls them back home.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.