The Griz

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Me and a buddy did a guide trip with Griz last week. Had a great time and caught a whole pile of fish. We’ve always wanted to get out with him given his legendary status on the river.

He’s still guiding a few times a week…his website has his phone number. Even if you are an experienced P2 fisherman it’s worth just hearing his stories. I’d encourage anyone to book a trip with him.

He did mention he’s probably doing the Hog Haul this year so make sure your hooks are sharp gentlemen!

Ripjiggen

Nice. He is definitely one of a kind.
    Went out with him once 10 or so years ago.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I can only hope I’m still rollin’ like the Griz when I get to his age. True Minnesota Legend! bow

I hope he fishes the Hog Haul again! His stories and opinions on stuff is priceless. Wish he would get some help, sit down and write a book.

-J.

Brad Dimond

Son and I went out June 2023 with him on Pool 2. Fish counts were so-so but we had a really good time. His knowledge of the river and the surrounding area is unsurpassed and he’s entertaining.

isu22andy

Would love to go with an old river rat like the griz . What techniques did he have you doing ?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Would love to go with an old river rat like the griz . What techniques did he have you doing ?

I have never been in his boat, but i have never seen him do anything but verticle jig a minnow on Pool 2 when he comes to MY spots whistling

Brad Dimond

Dave – guesing he was fishing Pool 2 before you were born, you might be fishing his spots…

Vertical jigging with a plain jighead and a fathead.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Yep, vertical jigging minnows while slipping current.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Dave – guesing he was fishing Pool 2 before you were born, you might be fishing his spots…

Vertical jigging with a plain jighead and a fathead.

Exactly, my comment was definitely tongue in cheek. The nice part about Griz is that he knows so many spots he never fishes close to anyone else. And he only gives you the death stare for 15-20 min if you pull up too close to him.

Brad Dimond

We got the death stare when my son lost a jig.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

He’s got a bit of a reputation on the river but I’ve run into him a couple of times this summer on other lakes and he’s been friendly and super talkative. I think the reputation is a bit of urban legend but we have all gotten the stare on the river!

Funny story…we stopped on a spot and I got a sandwich out of the cooler. He asked what I was doing…seemed obvious…eating a sandwich. He kinda chastised me that we eat between spots so we can maximize our fishing time. So, I put the sandwich back and kept on fishing!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Funny story…we stopped on a spot and I got a sandwich out of the cooler. He asked what I was doing…seemed obvious…eating a sandwich. He kinda chastised me that we eat between spots so we can maximize our fishing time. So, I put the sandwich back and kept on fishing!

That’s awesome Matt. Never met him but watched a piece on him with Ron Shara on Minnesota Bound and he seemed to have that kind of attitude. Most certainly a legend.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If I ever decided to hire a guide, he would be at the top of the list. I miss hearing him when he used to call in to Bear Facts and Fish Tales with his fishing reports and stories. “the death stare”, that’s awesome! jester

eyeguy507
    SE MN

common sense really. no time for downtime.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Ok, google doesn’t seem to know. Who is Griz?

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Me and a buddy did a guide trip with Griz last week. Had a great time and caught a whole pile of fish. We’ve always wanted to get out with him given his legendary status on the river.

He’s still guiding a few times a week…his website has his phone number. Even if you are an experienced P2 fisherman it’s worth just hearing his stories. I’d encourage anyone to book a trip with him.

He did mention he’s probably doing the Hog Haul this year so make sure your hooks are sharp gentlemen!

I had the chance to fish with the Griz about 20 years ago on the St Croix. I took a customer fishing for a day and hired Griz. We had a great day catching walleyes, smallies and some other fish. He was a wealth of info and a master with a jig.
    Found him to be friendly and very willing to teach about river fishing.

dirtywater

I suck at jigging, I should hire him just for the lesson and any spots learned or fish caught would just be a bonus.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s a real skill to vertical jig on the river. We didn’t really fish any secret spots but some were very tight. To keep the boat at the perfect speed with the current to stay vertical isn’t easy.

buschman
    Pool 2

Matt, I have always thought about doing the same thing!

I just want to spend a day fishing with him. Like going to a concert to see a good band while they are playing! I have crossed paths with him for 20 years on the river believe we are thinking the same thing every time we cross.. “Hope he keeps going and don’t stop at that next spot right up there” haha…

I admire the idea anyway!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks Dave and Pat! I do remember seeing the videos of him now!

LabDaddy1

It’s a real skill to vertical jig on the river. We didn’t really fish any secret spots but some were very tight. To keep the boat at the perfect speed with the current to stay vertical isn’t easy.

Seriously. It can be soooooo frustrating trying to dial it in, not to mention the smaller details…

CaptainMusky

He had some health problems a couple years ago I think. Glad he is still around. I have never met him and only time I have seen him is on John Gillespie and he seems like a great guy.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

just gonna leave this here again………….absolute legend

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I thought of doing the same thing. Just getting a guide trip with him since he ain’t gonna be around much longer and he is a MN fishing legend.

buschman
    Pool 2

I thought of doing the same thing. Just getting a guide trip with him since he ain’t gonna be around much longer and he is a MN fishing legend.

Lets do it!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Saw him Thursday morning heading up river with two ladies. Didn’t see where he went. I was vertical jigging at the time with a south wind, so yea it’s not easy to do!

SR

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.