selecting an action and barrel

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Quote:

It takes a lot to impress the FW.

Then how did she end up with you?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a couple custom rifles built on the Howa 1500 action and the Rem 700 action. But excluding going 100% custom, what would be your first choice in a factory rifle when considering a 7mm short mag or 270 WSM AND expecting to develop a load that will produce consistent < 1/2 MOA ?
    My nephew was given a gift of $$$ towards a new rifle of his choice. Caliber selection is between the 7short mag or 270WSM…which really has very similar characteristics. However, I was leaning towards recommending Tikka or Howa, and his dad is thinking a Remington Sedaro and paying the difference.
    So, if you had $1,000.00 put up towards your first new rifle, what would you get and why?

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

I would buy the same 243 i have now and pocket 700$!!!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I would buy the same 243 i have now and pocket 700$!!!

“The same” doesn’t express what brand or why Plus, the kid doesn’t get the cash!

red_lab
    Winsted,MN

Was just being a smart . Its a remington. Dont know the model.bolt action. Shoots good out to 300 yds. And I would never spend 1000 on a rifle. Those are the reasons for my previous answer.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’d personally get something in the Savage line up. But I’m personally biased in that direction. Model 116 FCSS. As a matter of fact, that is the exact gun I’m looking at for an elk rifle.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If it was me I’d copy your Howa. Just from everything I’ve read and seen on here about it. If I had a lot of money I’m build on a Surgeon Rifle action. Specifically this one.
    http://www.surgeonrifles.com/591 They drive tacks and are fantastic. Shot one a few times at a long range shoot for the police department I used to work at before I went back to school. Hell I’d love to buy a Scalpel but don’t have $5000 to spend on the full rifle. That being said I stand by copying your Howa. It’s tried and true.

I do have a Savage Model 10 FLCP-K in .308 and it drives tacks. Love it and love how it shoots. So I would take that $1000 and put it toward this in 7mm. Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter. It is basically the same shooting style and has Accu-trigger and accu-stock and adjustable check piece. But he’d still have to find additional money for the scope. They do make it in a light weight hunter too if that’s more his speed. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Tikka. Hands down. Period. End of discussion. You’ve seen my post. You’ve seen what a T3 Hunter can do. I’d put a Sako in the same category as a Sendaro and with the Tikka, you’re getting that Sako produced barrel, an action that’s almost too smooth, the 60 degree bolt throw, and light in overall weight.

I have yet to see what upgrading to a Boyd’s stock will do for a Tikka’s shootability and/or accuracy but you’ll certainly lose that lightweight feel.

If you search online, there’s some really good prices to be found on Tikka’s so I’d think you’d have a rock solid hunting rifle and enough money left over to cover a quality scope.

johnee

Not sure I’m understanding the budget quite right. Is $1000 the top end?

If so, please send me a PM with his secret source of Sedaros for <$1000. I’m sure one might somehow find one somewhere, but you aren’t going to get much change form a big note for a Sedaro in good condition that hasn’t been shot out.

I’d go Tikka.

The problem with a custom 700 or Howa is that you could easily spend more than a Tikka and end up with nothing to show for it in terms of better accuracy. I’ve never seen a Tikka that didn’t shoot VERY, very well.

To throw another one in there, CZ would be worth a look. I’m sure there are Savage options as well, but the problem is the same: Would they outperform a Tikka?

If he wants something a litle different, how about one of the new Tikka Stainless Hunter with the fluted barrel? Wow. You’d have to order one, but again, wow!

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Grouse. The deal he has someone that is putting up the 1st $1000. His dad is covering the balance. He was talking having a custom built and asked my opinion. Flat told him for a hunting rifle, go tikka or howa. The kid is leaning towards a 7 mm wsm. Hard to find as Many manufacturers don’t make them. I’m a huge fan of the 270wsm which is available from tikka. I personally don’t think that much will be gained by going to a $2500 build. So, I opted to get a few other’s opinions to support what I’m telling him

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I thing your right there Randy. Most customs I’ve seen built run over the 2500 dollar mark.

johnee

Quote:

Grouse. The deal he has someone that is putting up the 1st $1000. His dad is covering the balance.

I kind of figured with a custom build or Sedaro being an option, the budget wasn’t limited to a mere $1000. But you never know, somehow, some way, his dad could have stumbled on a secret stash of sederos that you’d let me in on …

Totally agree with 270 WSM over 7 WSM. The 7 WSM is really going to limit the box stock rifle choice and I have my doubts about the future of this chambering. Obviously, Winchester makes them, and Browning did, but may not anymore, not sure about Remington’s current production, Sako/Tikka is a no, etc. Everybody makes a 270 short.

Budget >$1000, dang! How about a Sako Finnlite? Or the awesome 85 Hunter Stainless? Those are classic rifles that will perform for generations to come.

You could probably get a lower end custom on a 700 action done in the low $2k range, but there is the very real question of if the extra $ buys anything at all.

Grouse

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Have to second the Savage 11/111 out of the box hard to beat for accuracy. It seems most Remmy`s need work before they get to be accurate. That is one thing I could never understand the talk of Remmy` being so good !!!!!! not until you spend more money on them?????????

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve had some good “remmys” over the years but when I read reports or I’m out comparison “feeling”, I just feel like they’ve slipped into a higher bracket category if you want any of the same qualities they once had. I haven’t shot a ton of factory offerings but I do know this: Outside of a cheap feeling plastic magazine that costs WAY too much to justify extras, Tikka’s remind me of what Remington used to be. Not cheap but not out of reach. They test well. They shoot great! I have yet to hear anyone that owns one complain about anything other than the cost of an extra magazine. Some non-owners have barked about the cheap, synthetic stock……. because????? I’ve never gotten an answer.

Remington 700’s have been legendary but the older ones seemed better in performance and feel than the newer ones. Winchester 70’s are also legendary but are very pricey compared to a Tikka.

I used to have a couple of Remington’s on my “wish list” and they’ve been replaced with Tikka. Now that Boyd’s offers replacement stocks, I feel like I’m done shopping! I can shop for a good deal and customize as I desire without “selling the farm”.

johnee

Quote:

Have to second the Savage 11/111 out of the box hard to beat for accuracy. It seems most Remmy`s need work before they get to be accurate. That is one thing I could never understand the talk of Remmy` being so good !!!!!! not until you spend more money on them?????????

You know, at grave risk of setting off all the Remington fans out there, I agree. I’ve TRIED to bond with Remington! Really, I have. I can’t do it.

This is NOT a Ford vs Chevy type of preference, honest. First, if we’re speaking of box-stock rifles, I don’t like the design of the 700s. Some of it is just asthetics, like the safety lever that looks like they scaled down the shift lever a Soviet-era Lada.

And a lot of it is in value for money. The reality is that you can get Remington accuracy or better for less money almost across the board. I really thought I wanted a VSSF. But the problem was the results just weren’t there compared to my father’s .22-250 Tikka.

I agree, in addition to the Tikka, it would be hard to go wrong with a Savage 11/111.

But to me the dream machine option would be a Sako 85. In 270 short, that would be a rifle that will be killing most species of big game in North America for generations to come.

What can’t you reliably hunt with a 270 short in North America? There’s only one thing: Kodiak Bears would be marginal. Everything else is a go. A fantastic chambering and one of only 2 of the “shorts” that actually represented a real move forward.

Grouse

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Since I have a Savage 10 .243 that I really like, I have been looking for a .223 in a bolt and doing research the T/C Ventures I have read nothing but good about them right out of the box. Can`t have the same rifle manufacture in different calibers.

Just another option…T/C Venture will probably be my next rifle after reading all the good reviews.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Wow for years I have always wanted a Remington for my first hunting rifle, I am no expert by any means and the only rifleā€™s I own are an old Wards single shot 22 and a Remington 22 pump that I have had for over 35 years, but now after hearing everything here I may have to take a serious look at Tikka & Savage. I know that my next slug gun is going to be the Savage Model 220F 20 Gauge so I may lean toward a Savage for a rifle as well.

Kooty what made you choose a Savage over a Tikka?

kooty
    Keymaster

Price has been my biggest motivator. Also I know Savage are notoriously accurate out of the box.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I wish I had more experience with the Savages. I’d love to try one of the higher end models. Perhaps I’ll go this direction for a .204….. some day. On the other hand, I’ve always wanted to try a TC Venture too. The only hang up I have on that right now is that tiny bolt I’m supposed to work the action with. this is low on my wish list but hey, when it comes to calibers, I change like the weather!!!

I lean toward the Tikka’s Steve because you CAN find them for right at/near $500.00 without much effort. In regard to my Savage Axis, which the .223 is jaw-dropping accurate, but my .22-250 hasn’t been. Not even close. A replacement stock has improved this though. The Axis also need new triggers. Between the stock and the trigger, the cost is right there with a Tikka. From there, the Tikka remains lighter in weight, has a MUCH softer/smoother bolt throw and slide, along with only being 60 degrees to keep it roomy and operational with the scope. Sure, you can spend more if you choose a stainless or a hunter/varmint model but to me, by the time you upgrade the entry level class, you’re still not on par with a blued/synthetic Tikka and the dollar spent is about the same.

I don’t mean to bash or discredit anyone else’s choices. I’m just speaking from my own limited experience of ownership. Between Remington, Mossberg, Marlin, Savage, Rossi, Tikka, Howa, and Winchester…..I find myself gigglin’ over the Tikkas the most. Most of the others are good shooters too and I’ll likely hang on to most of them. But I encourage anyone….. just go do some side-by-side comparing, feature against feature. If price is an issue, use the internet! There are some GREAT deals out there!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

OOO.. I didn’t even think Sako. That’s a hell of a nice rifle there. Stillakid if they ever have an IDO shoot I can get too. YOu can shoot my model 10 308. Love it.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

OOO.. I didn’t even think Sako. That’s a hell of a nice rifle there. Stillakid if they ever have an IDO shoot I can get too. YOu can shoot my model 10 308. Love it.

I’d love that! I can never learn/experience enough.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

No matter what rifle manufacturer when buying the lower end rifles you are giving up something. Triggers, machining tolerances, stocks, bedding, barrel, etc. An Axis out of the box will not shoot as well as say a Tikka light or Savage 10 it is kind of expected when shopping price something is given up. The better rifles are usually guaranteed sub MOA, so by chance one buys a bad one the manufacturer will step up and take care of the problem.

Even though the Axis is the lower end I would contact Savage about your 22-250 and see if they will help you.

kooty
    Keymaster

Here are the stats on my Axis, all prices are from memory and may not be exact.

Rifle – $239.99 out the door
    Rifle Basix Trigger – $85.00
    Stock – $99.00(this is an elective item that I don’t believe counts against the overall price, the factory stock was just fine)

I will put this rifle up against anything out there as far as out of box factory rifles. I’ve shot groups with 3 bullets touching at 100 yards off the bench. Most days I’m not capable of that group.

Having said all this, I’m taking this thread slightly off track. So, I’ll get back to the original topic.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kooty, I already responded to my BIL about my recommendations for his kid. I think having the costs of your Axis and your opinion on it contributes to the over-all of this. I’m sure there are guys/gals thinking about buying their first “quality” rifle and want all the info they can before dropping their hard earned cash

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Kooty, I already responded to my BIL about my recommendations for his kid. I think having the costs of your Axis and your opinion on it contributes to the over-all of this. I’m sure there are guys/gals thinking about buying their first “quality” rifle and want all the info they can before dropping their hard earned cash

Well Said Randy. The Price Kooty has into a Rifle is a lot for some of my friends to spend or rifles for hunting being they don’t shoot them all that much. Also for that price and the groups you ‘re getting Kooty. I’d look into that option too. Thats good shooting for the price right there.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Even though the Axis is the lower end I would contact Savage about your 22-250 and see if they will help you.

I have a couple more things to try before I go take that step. The installation video on Boyd’s website did mention the possibility of encountering this and that the replacement stock should help….. and it did! I have to feel that I explored every option first, because sometimes, that’s just the way it is.

Factory ammo selection does factor on this rifle. My .223 could care less. It shoots just as Kooty describes whether it’s Hornady, Federal, Winchester, or cheap WPA FMJ/HP’s. The .22-250 will not shoot WOLF ammo whatsoever. It’s better with Federal and Winchester with the results being about one in the same. I really want to send some Hornadys down the barrel before I make any permanent decisions.

My 3-shot groups are doing a 2 close, 1 stray type thing. I’m trying to allow for shooter error and because I haven’t installed the trigger upgrade on this one yet, I have to allow the stiff trigger pull to be a possible factor in that one stray shot.

The puzzle with that is that before the trigger upgrade on the .223, my shot groups were already freakishly tight! My best description is “inside the dime”. If I could do it with one, why not the other???

It’s hard to imagine anything outshooting the Axis .223 I have and it’s got a permanent home with me. I’ll never let a shooter like that go! My whole issue is with the .22-250 and would I be happier had I gotten something else instead? I don’t know….. yet.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

What ever rifle I end up getting I have pretty much made up my mind that I want it in a 7mm08 as most of my hunting with the rifle will be for deer hunting and I want to start yote hunting which I would think should be adequate to put down a yote. I have never been Elk hunting but it is on my bucket list to do someday, my question is can I get by with the 7mm08 for Elk? Because of the expense involved in Elk hunting it is not something that I anticipate doing very often so I have a hard time justifying buying another rifle just for Elk hunting.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The only thing missing with the 7mm-08 is range. Energy and bullet expansion, if I understand things correctly, are what get the job done.

Steve, honestly….. just get your rifle and don’t worry about the elk. If you ever get to go, give me a call and you can take my Tikka 300WSM. That’ll take care of any “if’s”.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Wow thank you very much Ken I just may take you up on that!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.