Another Pistol ??

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Given the recent panic and the continued threat of more restrictive laws I’ve decided now is the time to get another pistol. IF I can find one. Right now I’ve located a Glock 23. This is a subcompact in 40 S&W. The price is $540.00.

I’m curious, what other pistols should I look at under $600.00. Doesn’t necessarily have to be concealable, but that is a plus. I really wanted a S&W MP Shield, but they are all but impossible to find without getting gouged. I’m looking for either a 9mm or 40 cal.

Any others I should consider if they happen to be available?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wish I could convince my wife that I need another!

Beretta PX4 Storm is on my list!

kooty
    Keymaster

That PX4 is a good looking little pistol!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

That PX4 is a good looking little pistol!

I shot one once and thought it was incredibly comfortable to shoot. I’ve wanted one since. Of course, I once shot an H&K that I absolutely loved…till I found out the price!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You know I have a 23 and love it. .40 packs a whallop. 13 rounds of .40 is not bad for something that can be concealed quite easily.
    And you can hit with it. I dont even practice at less than 25 yards. I’ve shot quite a few other full sized pistols but have limited experience with sub-compacts so I cant say about any others. The 9mm brother to the 23 is the 19. I have not held one so I dont know if they are exactly the same size or slightly smaller. I would consider one of those as well.

kooty
    Keymaster

What is your opinion on Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 Mike?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Can’t wait for your IDO Shoot so that we can get our shoot on, and I can shoot some of your Glucks and get pegged in the face with brass.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Kooty, I looked at the Storm long and hard when I was shopping. I saw a couple different reviews on the models with the rotating action(which reduces recoil) that it actually put additional fatigue on the wrists from the constant twisting. There was no discussion around how many rounds it took before the fatigue came in to play but I can see if you are shooting it A LOT that twisting could eventually create some fatigue.

Other than that the storm got pretty much all great reviews and everyone really liked the lower recoil. Less recoil means quicker target aquisition so I don’t think I would let the possible fatigue thing stop me from buying one.

May have been girly men that did the reviews….not a strapping young lad such as yourself.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Have you considered a Glock 26? Great gun, have 2 of them. A Gen 3 and a GEN 4.

coletrain01
    Rochester MN

Ruger Sr40 is another option

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

What is your opinion on Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 Mike?

Knowing what I know now it doesnt matter. The big thing wit G4’s is the adjustable grip strips. Come to find out it fits me best with no stips added.
    I just got back from Gander. I handled the G19 and the G23 together and no perceivable differnce in size. I would consider the 19 over the 23 because of ammo cost and availability. I recall seeing $560 on the G19. They had one left.

coletrain01
    Rochester MN

I love my Sr9c also. The 2 different length mags you can use is a nice option

kooty
    Keymaster

Yes, I would probably prefer the 26 due to ammo cost mostly. However, the two local retailers up in my neck of the woods were out yesterday when I called.

I’m headed to the store this afternoon and see what I see. Obama may be the best marketing agent ever for the gun and ammo industry.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

Obama may be the best marketing agent ever for the gun and ammo industry.

He is without question ‘Gun salesman of the century’! Might be the only accomplishment I can’t argue with!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Yes, I would probably prefer the 26 due to ammo cost mostly. However, the two local retailers up in my neck of the woods were out yesterday when I called.

Did you try the Fleet Farm in Brooklyn Park? I was in yesterday or I’d check for you, but their handgun case was pretty full.

kooty
    Keymaster

Did not check there, but I’ll call them right now.

wiswalleyenut
    Central WI.

I purchased the Ruger LC9 last weekend, and am very happy. Pretty small for a 9mm, easy to conceal, and shot nice groups at 15 yards. Found it local at $350 out the door for law enforcement price. I’m gonna carry as a backup, and CCW. Good Luck……

Nut

johnee

I’ve been thinking along the same lines as far as getting a 40. Since the opportunity may be limited, my thought was just go high end figuring this will probably be the last semi-auto pistol I’ll ever buy.

If you’re going to go 40 S&W, better ramp up your reloading capacity as well. While there are occasional deals out there, the 40 ammo cost is significant.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

If you’re going to go 40 S&W, better ramp up your reloading capacity as well. While there are occasional deals out there, the 40 ammo cost is significant.

Well, if you’re going to reload, you might as well go for the .357 Sig!

bowhuntmn

It is unbelievable how many choices are thrown at us nowadays. There have been some great guns mentioned in this thread, but I am a handgun fan and this is how I look at each of my purchases.
    1) Price. In my opinion, the number 1 factor. You need to set a price range and stick with it. This will rule out some guns, but thats good because it reduces choices.
    2) Application. What will this gun be used for? Again, so many uses, that are dictated by caliber and frame size. I carry all of my guns, at some point or another, but always have a favorite “go to” gun as the seasons/locations change. For instance, for a daily carry I enjoy my Glock 27, which is the subcompact .40 cal. This is also the gun I practice with the most. When I hunt, camp, hike, or fish, I carry my Glock 20, in 10mm. Again, different applications = different gun.
    3) Caliber. This goes with application, and price. I’ve owned a variety of platforms, calibers, and manufacturers. If I have one bit of advice, stick with one or two calibers, even if you switch platforms. This is difficult, and has been for me, but I can keep an accurate count of ammo/reloading supplies. If I had to pick one caliber for semi-auto it would be .40 cal. For revolvers? .357 for the win. They are adequate for my purposes, and have served well in their applications.
    I apologize that this is so long-winded, but I’ve been in your shoes many times and this has helped me along the way. Oh, by the way, get a Glock

kevin_sahly
    maple grove,mn

I shot a lot if different stuff before making my last purchase. I ended up with the Springfield XD 9 in a 3″ for my carry. Get the extended mag and it feels great in your hands. I also have the Springfield 45ACP when I want to “let er rip”. I absolutely love that gun. It’s a 4″. They strip down very easily for cleaning and I have never had any issue with either one. Just like buying a new bow, you really need to shoot a bunch of them to see which works best for you. My father in law was trying to convince me to get a S & W 40, however, I couldn’t hit broad side of barn with it. I’m sure it was nice, just not for me. Good luck with your decision, have fun!

kooty
    Keymaster

That PX4 fit my hand really well!!! Too bad they didn’t have a 9mm. I would have walked out of there with one. Looks like I’m off to gunbroker.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.