Black Rifle questions

• buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Looks like PowerFred and I are in the same boat I am looking to get my first AR as well. I have been doing a lot of shopping around, research and reading reviews on the net about the AR platform rifles.

I don’t really want to get in to brands too much because so many are really similar and it becomes ford vs chevy.
    However I do have some questions because I have heard conflicting stories on some things.

Is a chrome lined barrel a good idea for the extra $ and what does it add/do?? Longer barrel life? Added accuracy? Better heat dispersement? Other? Nothing?

Is a 4 rail forearm piece worth the extra $ up front or better to add later if you decide you want one?

Does a fixed front site get in the way if you mount a scope above the receiver?

Is a scope too high if you mount it raised up so you can have flip up iron sights below it?

I have seen ARs set up for 3 gun competition where the iron sights or scope are mounted at a 30% angle so you just tip the gun slightly to use one or the other, I have asked several places about this and tend to get blank stares. I know Stag makes a 3g which is set up that way but is that something you can do with any AR?

Does an AR with no dust cover/forward assist indicate that the maker is cutting corners to cut cost??

Piston vs Gas?? I heard piston is cleaner to shoot than gas but is that a real issue since most seem to be gas operated. I also heard piston has more felt recoil than gas. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages to one over the other.

I would also like to hear from anyone that has personal experience with any of the following brands:
    Del-Ton (suggested by Bill’s in Robinsdale)
    Windham Weaponry (suggested by Element in Becker)
    Sig Sauer (cop friend entrusts his life to his Sig side arm)

Any feedback from AR owners on “I wish I would have” or “I will definitley do or not do this next time” would be really helpful too.

Thanks!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Shot a buddys Sig AR earlier this year. It sported a top of the line red-dot type scope. It was solid. I think they are on the high cost side but Sig has always represented quality. I dont know what to say about the newer piston driven technology. The old style has worked fine for a long long time. I wouldnt spend extra money on it myself.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Thanks Chris….I talked to Travis today…he had some good info.

Four Seasons is a hike from me since I live west of the metro but you may be hearing from me to get some exact pricing if I decide to “pull the trigger”….couldn’t resist.

paulz

No problem. I am glad he was able to help out. Good luck in your shopping and feel free to call anytime. chris

killerhiller
    Hastings, MN

Wht are you planning to use the weapon for?

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Good question KillerHiller….

Target shooting for sure, possibly hunting……I have shot them a couple times and the fun factor of an AR is off the charts so that is a definite draw as well.

I like the adjustable stock and low recoil so the wife can enjoy shooting it as well and we can easily go back and forth….and it will work for PJ when he gets a little older.

I kicked around a .22 AR but I have a plain old .22 already so duplicating that doesn’t make much sense.

A guy I know does some shooting competitions(3 gun) and he really enjoys them so that would be a definite possibility too. Any reason to sling some lead is a good one.

robby
    Quad Cities

Check out the Rock River Arms Operator II. On sale for $1000. Used to be $1700-$1800. Guaranteed to shoot 1 MOA. I like mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.