Differences/opinions on another shotgun

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looking for feedback, opinions, and thoughts on the difference between a Franchi Affinity 12g auto 3″ and a Benelli M2. Most obvious is the cost, of which I couldn’t find why? Both are 26″ barrels and 3″ 12g chambers. Olivia, age 14 has finally slowed down on the growing spurts and accepted that the .338 lupa isn’t a real option. Anyone have these and your feedback? Thanks

marsh_monster
    Metro

My dad has the M2 and has never had an issue what so ever…on the other side a close friend of mine has had issues with the finish rubbing off on his franchi. Not sure if its a faulty paint job or what but I go to step up into an auto itll be an M2. SOOOO smooth! just m2c

jt_fish

I have nothing to offer in way of the Franchi, but i do own a M2 and like it a lot. It is light, smooth and has been very reliable over the past 4 seasons.
    I would buy another.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had an M2 for about 6 years at least. It has been flawless.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have hunted with guys that have M2s and they like them.
    I believe Beretta actually owns Franchi and Benelli both so those guns really should be pretty similar in quality probably a little higher end parts and the Benelli name to justify the higher cost.

I shoot an Beretta Xtrema2 and absolutely love it.
    You may want to check in to Beretta as well. My wife and I looked at the Winchester super X models when we were getting her a 12ga and those were really nice as well. She ultimately ended up going with the Xtrema 2 because it fit good and she liked the idea of less recoil than an inertia driven autoloader.

The biggest thing with any new gun is fit…you can spend $5k on a gun if it doesn’t fit you right you won’t shoot as good with it as you would a $500 gun that fits perfectly.

When I bought my Xtrema…I went to the store planning to get a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2. I stood there for probably 30 minutes just going back and forth between the 2 guns shouldering them and shouldering them. I noticed as my arms were getting tired the Beretta just came up right all the time where the Benelli was off just a smidge once in a while. That is what sealed the deal for me, pretty rare to be “fresh” on a hunting trip beyond the first morning.

New shotguns are expensive so I would take plenty of time and shoulder a lot of guns…pull them up with your eyes closed and just see what comes up the best and the most consistent.

Good luck in your search.

johnee

The bottom line is as Buckshot says. Both shotguns use the Benelli system action. It comes down to weather or not you are convinced that you are getting more with a Benelli-Benelli vs a Franchi with a Benelli action. Oh, and hundreds of more dollars for the Benelli, of course.

While both companies are owned by Beretta, as I suspect you know, these two guns are completely diffent from the Beretta autoloaders. Beretta has a gas-operated action, the Benelli actions are activated by recoil.

If you are thinking about shelling out for a Benelli, I’d strongly suggest looking at Beretta autoloaders given your stated purpose. I have had a Beretta autoloader for 10 years now and every time I shoot it I am amazed by just how much the gas-operated action reduces recoil. Because the Benelli name is commanding a huge price preimum, I’d say it’s worth thinking about the advantages a Beretta might offer given it’s in the same price bracket.

Grouse

1775prov

If I was buying an auto loader for my kid, I would make sure it is a gas operating system.
    I have had many auto loaders,and like them all,but the recoil ejection system used by Bennelli in the Black Eagle model is not something I would ask my kids to use.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I need to thank a few people. Chris Harris for opening up his land and making a huge assortment of shotguns available for us to check out. Doug H for bringing out his new Franchi for her and a crap load of reloads. Besides checking out everything I wanted to see, we had a blast – no pun intended!
    We ended up with the following:
    1. Rem 1100 30″ full

2. toss up between the affinity Franchi and the B – M2 Both felt very equal in all aspects

4. Mossberg 985 in 3-1/5″ smoothe, but didn’t feel right
    5. Beretta A400 not a good fit

I really was looking to buy her first shotgun new, but Chris offered up his 2 year old Rem 1100 at a price that we couldn’t pass up. The trade off is the fixed choke barrel and wanting to replace the stock with a synthetic. With the savings, I put towards her Tikka 7mm mag she’s almost there

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

That’s good to hear! Nice guns.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Dang Randy! Wish I knew…
    I sold my Benelli M-1 only 2 weeks ago for $500! I also gave the guy a case of Kent 1530fps #4s and #5s in 12ga.
    It was in excellent shape.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.