Reloading equipment value????

• mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

I need your help. I’m a hunter but not a reloader. I got a call from a widow of a good friend yesterday, (He passed about 8 years ago), who wanted help getting some of his old equipment out of her basement. Turns out that it was boxes and boxes of reloading equipment. (I do mean boxes and boxes!!!!!!) As much as I know about it, it could be the mother load, or not!!!

She was just going to give it all away to anyone that would take it but, I have to think at least some of this stuff is worth something. I really only had the time for a cursory glance at what is there.

Theres a hand press (unknown make) and boxes and boxes of dies. (Hundreds.) All in good shape.

Hundreds of brass in varying cals. from 243, 257, 6mm ,7mm 270, 30-06, 30-338. Maybe others.

Thousands and I do mean Thousands of new bullets to match each cal. and in varying grains and types. Mostly Speer and Hornady. (My quick guess would be between 4 and 5 THOUSAND bullets. Just ask my back!!!!!!). Most of them are still in their original boxes of 100 count.

Unknown number of live rounds in various cals.

Like I said, I only had time for a quick look and can’t give much in the way of specifics but, knowing this guy I can say, he was a shooter and he didn’t skimp on his equipment and he never fired store bought rounds. He always bought the best.

Anyway, I just want to do this lady, and memory of my friend right, and I’ve got to believe this equipment is worth something. Especially the loader, bullets and brass. I know it’s hard to put a price on something you haven’t seen and my discription sucks but, any starting point you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I would post this equipment on here for sale but I’m afraid that the shipping cost might be a bit much. We’re in Missoula MT.

On a better note, She did give me one of his rifles in his memory. It’s a 257 Roberts. It’s kind of a differant round but, It is the gun my friend carried on our annual antelope hunting trips, which means a lot to me. Better yet, it’s engraved with his name and his father Daniel Goens, was well known across the country for his checkering work on gun stocks, hand made the stock. I love it!!!!!

Anyway, I know this this is kind of short on specifics but any help you could provide would be very appreciated!!!! I won’t be around for a couple days to respond but, I do thank you for any help you can provide.

Thanks Guys!!!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ll send your post to my buddy who is a reloading nut and also an Ebay/Junk salesman from HE double hockey sticks. He probably will have some advice.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Its nearly impossible to guess on what he may have had. But looking at it as new equipment, you can get a RCBS kit for about $300. Dies are about 35 to 55 each. Brass runs about $40./100 on average for new. A good digital scale is around $250. Cheaper bullets run about $30. per hundred. Powder runs about $25./pound. Then all the specialty tools would easily double the cost of the original kit. Then if he was anything like me, he has a lot in duplicate.

If its all in good shape, 50% of new is a reasonable. I see stuff selling for well above and BELOW that on other websites and Ebay

Good luck, and if you get it, there is a market for all that stuff out there.

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Thanks guys!!! You’ve given me a starting point and that’s what I was looking for.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.