Rights Violated In Madison?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

September 30, 2010
    For immediate release:

On September 29th, Wisconsin Carry, Inc filed a Federal lawsuit against the City
    of Madison and Madison Police Chief Noble Wray.

A copy of this lawsuit is available here:

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/Madison/MadisonComplaint.pdf

The City of Madison may not deny individuals the right to carry handguns in nonsensitive
    places, deprive individuals of the right to carry handguns in an arbitrary and capricious
    manner, or enforce its laws, customs and practices through its police department or impose
    regulations on the right to carry handguns that are inconsistent with the rights guaranteed by the
    Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, § 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.

On Saturday, September 18, 2010, five (5) members of WCI met for dinner at a Culvers Restaurant in Madison, Wisconsin. Each of these individuals was
    openly carrying a handgun when they arrived at the restaurant, entered the restaurant and ordered
    and ate their meals. At or about the time that the WCI members finished their meal and left the
    restaurant, a woman in her car observed them openly carrying handguns and called 911 to report it to the City of Madison Police Department. The 911 caller
    informed the dispatcher that she didn’t know if it was an emergency, the men were doing nothing wrong and appeared totally relaxed, weren’t threatening anyone and the restaurant was full of people but they each had sidearms and she didn’t know if that was legal.

Upon being informed by the 911 dispatcher that open-carry is legal the woman stated “then there is no problem and its not an emergency”. The dispatcher then
    suggests that if the woman is concerned or disturbed then it becomes a problem and the woman says “no they weren’t threatening anybody or acting threatening”.
    When the dispatcher informs the caller they are sending officers she says “well
    I feel bad then because they weren’t doing anything wrong”

Listen to the 911 call here:

http://tijil.org/Madison_5_911_call.mp3

As these WCI members left the restaurant, they were accosted by eight (8) City
    of
    Madison police officers, who demanded that they produce identification, and
    threatened that if
    they did not do so, they would be arrested. From the time that these WCI members
    arrived at the
    restaurant up to and including the time that the police officers confronted them
    and demanded
    that they produce identification or face arrest, none of the WCI members
    violated any law, nor
    were they involved in any violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous,
    unreasonably loud or
    otherwise disorderly conduct, nor did they through their conduct cause or
    provoke any
    disturbance.

Wisconsin law does not allow officers to arrest for merely refusing to provide
    ID. 2 days later, Madison Police admitted the error in arresting and charging
    our members with obstruction, rescinded those tickets and instead, despite there
    being no disturbance, and no laws broken, issued disorderly conduct charges to
    all 5 of our members.

The Madison Police Department also issued a press release which relayed a
    department procedure which would violate the rights of law-abiding open-carriers
    who would choose to go legally armed for self-defense in Madison. The press
    release can be read here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/news/view.cfm?news_id=2231

By arresting our members without cause and issuing a press release detailing a
    policy of violating the rights of other law-abiding open-carriers who should
    choose to carry in Madison, Wisconsin Carry immediately took action to file a
    lawsuit to prevent this chilling effect on the right to Carry in Madison. We
    look forward to the precedent this lawsuit will set.

Those who work, live, or travel to Madison are entitled to the same rights as
    the rest of the state. Wisconsin has a state and federal constitutionally
    guaranteed right to carry. Open-carry is the only legal way to carry in this
    state. Wisconsin’s attorney general verified the legality of open-carry in a
    memo to all police chiefs and district attorney’s in 2009. The City of Madison
    may not deny individuals the right to carry handguns in nonsensitive places,
    deprive individuals of the right to carry handguns in an arbitrary and
    capricious manner, or enforce its laws, customs and practices through its police
    department or impose regulations on the right to carry handguns that are
    inconsistent with the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United
    States Constitution and Article I, § 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.

The financial support from across the country extended to Wisconsin Carry which
    allows us the resources to file this lawsuit has been exceptional. On behalf of
    WCI, our members, and freedom minded Wisconsinites who embrace the right to
    carry we wish to offer a special thank-you to Buckeye Firearms Foundation.

BFF is a tax-exempt foundation which collected and matched donations from people
    across the country totaling over $7,500 through there website:
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7450

Wisconsin Carry is a non-profit 100% volunteer organization dedicated to the
    protection and expansion of the right of law-abiding Wisconsinites to carry in
    the manner of their choosing; open carry or concealed carry.
    http://www.wisconsincarry.org

Nik Clark
    Chairman/President – Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    [email protected]

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

After listening to the 911 call, I wonder if the Madison Police should be the ones receiving the disorderly conduct tickets?

Nothing would have happened had they not came.

damman
    Pepin county Wi

[censored] and complain they do there job and then again if they don’t. So every T,D and Harry should walk around carring guns?????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

every T,D and Harry should walk around carring guns

Only in WI and IL.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Actually in WI any T,D& H can walk around with a gun strapped to their hip. It’s the only way that’s legal.

In MN and most other states, there are background check that include mental health, abuse and much more. That and one must pass a proficiency test before they can strap a gun to their hip…or conceal it so events like the above don’t happen.

IMO these 5 guys did nothing wrong. Once the lady in the 911 tape was informed about the law…she was ok with it too.

So what is the reason behind the disorderly conduct charges?

One year from now this will be a non-issue.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

To Serve and Protect!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I have a number of friends that are LE’s. Tough job…most always thankless.

We do have to remember that it was AFTER the fact that all five charged. That did not come from the officers. The memo didn’t come from the officers.

I’m just saying…

JakeM
    WI

Yeah but this isn’t about thanklessness. I can understand the 8-against-5, if they’re armed and so on, but they violated department policy, the mandate of the Wisconsin Atty General AND **TWO** constitutions, state and federal.

I call BS on the “law enforcement is hard” defense here. I get it, really and truly, but sometimes cops, just like anyone else, make stupid mistakes. The sad, sad part is that when I make a mistake at work someone sees an error in a browser. When a cop makes a mistake at work, people’s lives are changed forever.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I thought about this for awhile, and just can not accept that disorderly citations were issued. I see nothing wrong with the Madison Police talking to the guys, or simply taking a look to make sure all is well. God knows, if everyone would blow up if the police did nothing. No different than a game warden walking up to you after a day of hunting. A quick chat and check to make sure all is well and he/she is on there way. It should have been no different here.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.