Anybody got a Mini 14???

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am picking one up shortly in .223. Can’t wait!
    Looking for any input…

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Chris, I had one for years but traded it in a moment of weakness. Been sorry ever since. Mucho fun! Surplus ammo can be had cheap,very reliable and handy in the truck. You can’t go wrong. Have fun.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I have had one for a few years and use it for yotes. I have the folding stock for it and love how compact it is when making long walks in. If your gonna put a scope on it get the scope mount that replaces the rear sight instead of the one that screws on the side. Mine came with that and the scope would move around so it wouldn’t sight in. Other than that enjoy

JAddison

my dads got one. nice rifle, shoots pretty good. depending on what you are paying for a Mini 14 i’d look into an AR. you can build them pretty cheap.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I used to shoot the full sized 14’s (I am dating myself! ) in sniper school. And I shot a butt load of 16’s. The AR variants are fun as heck to shoot, but in my opinion do not hold a candle to the 14. You could pour a bucket of dirt in a 14 and it will work. It has a self cleaning action. As far as the sights, the new Minis have forged sight mounts so they can never move. Plus they are throwing in 2-20 round mags, and rings!

The NRA version, Ruger sends a portion of the price in to the NRA to help fight to preserve our 2nd Ammendment rights.

This is the “Tactical” version…but I am also getting an ATI tactical stock for $100.

robby
    Quad Cities

Chris, I just bought a new, 580 series mini 14. With crappy Rem. UMC ammo and open sights I am shooting about 2 inches at 100 yards, off a rest of course. I mounted a Leupold Gilmore red dot on her and I like the package. I am getting about the same accuracy with the red dot. I can hit small gatorade bottles every shot with ease, off a rest of course. Fun gun, clean shooting. Better quality ammo will group better I am sure. I have bolt guns for long range stuff, the mini fits the bill for what it was designed to be. And, you can no longer build an AR cheaply. Just try finding a lower for sale right now, even a stripped lower is going for at least $200. That is ridiculous. If you buy one, try to get a 580 series built in or after 2008. The barrels are a bit heavier now and are more accurate than the older barrels. Try this website, it will answer all of your questions. http://www.perfectunion.com I have no regrets in purchasing my mini. PM with any other questions you have, I will provide my phone # if you wish. — Rob

robby
    Quad Cities

Chris, by the way, you can get a mini from the Ruger factory with the ATI stock now, price is near the same as without. No reason to waste money if you do not want to.

killerhiller
    Hastings, MN

Can’t say I have ever owned one, but I can say I never will. For the cost of it, it really is disappointing(for me) accuracy wise. I don’t know of anyone that was happy with it accuracy wise. Two inches at a hundo is not that good. Sorry

A 10/22 would be by far a better fun gun, for me it is any way. Good luck

KH

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

They are nice but I prefer the AR15

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Chris, I just bought a new, 580 series mini 14. With crappy Rem. UMC ammo and open sights I am shooting about 2 inches at 100 yards, off a rest of course. I mounted a Leupold Gilmore red dot on her and I like the package. I am getting about the same accuracy with the red dot. I can hit small gatorade bottles every shot with ease, off a rest of course. Fun gun, clean shooting. Better quality ammo will group better I am sure. I have bolt guns for long range stuff, the mini fits the bill for what it was designed to be. And, you can no longer build an AR cheaply. Just try finding a lower for sale right now, even a stripped lower is going for at least $200. That is ridiculous. If you buy one, try to get a 580 series built in or after 2008. The barrels are a bit heavier now and are more accurate than the older barrels. Try this website, it will answer all of your questions. http://www.perfectunion.com I have no regrets in purchasing my mini. PM with any other questions you have, I will provide my phone # if you wish. — Rob

Robby, you nailed it! That is exactly why I want one. I have tack drivers that I can drill 1.5 MOA at 200 all day long. But I want a Mini with a red dot for those quick, low light 100or less yard shots with time for accurate follow-ups. I have a number of buddies who do just that and absolutely love them for that purpose. AR variants are getting EXTREMELY spendy! And AR’s often do not handle off brand ammo and can be picky. The Minis will shoot anything you can put through it. And the self cleaning system cycles round after round after round flawlessly.
    I have had the AR. Time for a Ruger.

robby
    Quad Cities

I think it is funny, the AR guys get really riled up, especially now that the mini’s are getting more accurate. I do not want a rifle that craps where it eats. LOL. LOL LOL. The mini is a good, dependable gun, more accurate than an AK, it is light, tough, and much better than angle of bad guy. If you wish to have your trigger done, Google Bill Springfield, he does it well, $35 and that includes return shipping. All you do is send in your trigger group. Somebody recently jumped someone for saying their mini was for home defense, stating how could you justify that. I personally do not feel I have too. They are welcome to come over and I will show them. No threat meant, implied, or intended. The mini suits several purposes for me. I call coyotes, most I TRY to stop at 100 yards, my mini will take those no problem. Chris, let me know if you come across any great deals of either .223 or 5.56 v-max, PSP, or HP bulk. Heck FMJ for that matter. Rem. UMC 55gr. MC/FMJ 200 round packs are being had for $85 here now. Not bad for plinking, but better accuracy will be found with other and they are not legal for hunting. Glad you are getting a mini. You can shoot them and forget them. They will function the next time. Clean, dependable firearm. Another thing Chris, not sure what type of reddot you are looking for, if it will fit in the provided rings, send the “high” rings that it comes with in, they will trade for mediums at no cost. Also, if you want an mounting rail for scope/red-dot Google weigland mounts, I have one and it is top notch.– Rob

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Again, great info Robby. Thanks!
    I found a Mini NIB here in MN at a private dealer. I hope to pick it up this weekend. It is the one in the picture above. I will do some looking at a number of Red dots. I have three Ultra Dots and absolutely love them. I am wondering about a Halo on the tactical ramp as opposed to the conventional mounts. Not sure it even works that way, but hey..that’s all part of the fun! I wonder if you can actually see the front sight pin that way and use the opens or the Halo? Maybe the base is too thick? We’ll see. I am ordering an ATI Tactical stock for it for $100.

I have never been so excited for a new gun!

robby
    Quad Cities

Chris, The Weigand base that I have does not allow you to use the iron sights, but the B-square model does. I did not like the B-square because it was so long. I would think, if a guy wanted to spend this much, an EOTECH holographic sight would be really great. Have shot them on ARs with good success, but my current budget will not allow me. Another company, let me try to remember-will get back with you, makes really heavy dute QD mounts for the mini. Professional tactical stuff. I priced them, $250 just for the mount. Guarantee to return to zero after removing and reattaching. If interested I will make a call or two if I cannot recall the company. Sorry, got the CRS some days.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

One of these days. I’ve always wanted a .223 either mini or AR. I’m leaning towards mini after reading the excitement above. However I just cannot justify since I have no use whatsoever for it. Someday I will find an excuse.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Here was my motivation…I bought my Savage .223 for Yotes thinking that my shots were going to be way out in the distance. More often than not, my opportunities are 50 yards or less in semi deep cover. Areas where shotguns are key. But I have other areas where 100+ yard shots are afforded. More often than not, in low or no light. So What gun do I bring with me? The red dot scopes I use make ALL the difference in the world for me. This gun was never meant to be a nail driver, but for this purpose it is the ultimate gun. Like I said, I have shot many AR variants, and they are fine for those who have the passion for them, and the $$$ to build them up. But for reliability and relatively inexpensive add-ons, the Mini is the way to go. Now that they have beefed up the barrels and forged the sight blocks, accuracy has improved dramatically!

As far as the Halo or red dot, I may go with whatever I can fit into the 1″ rings at first. I may go Halo down the road when I can afford it. The ATI stock is the first addition! It will be nice to have both.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I want the new target Mini14 with the thumbhole stock and adjustable barrel comp. That thing shot great at Bill’s!

As for Ar’s what brand AR did you shoot that had problems with off brand ammo? I’ve got 3 AR’s and never have had problem and I shoot crappy wolf ammo. And yeah your right on AR prices going up. A plain jane goes for 800 buck now. It’s sad.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A buddies Bushmaster for one. AR’s need constant cleaning and maint. Although it is very easy to do, it is a pain, and the more you shoot, the more they need it. Like any gun really. But 14’s can take a lot more abuse in that area.
    Again, I am not knocking AR’s. Not one bit. I have a lot of buddies who have them and love them.

They have two of those target Mini’s at Gander in Woodbury. I wanted to buy one at Sportsmans Warehouse, but they could not get any. I do have a new aquaintance now who will be getting 14 more…

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

have fun with the new toy. Any new gun is great

woodenfrog
    se mn

I’ve had a Mini for years and they are hard to beat.They take abuse,easy to clean and are accurate.I want to get the new target model next.Some of my yote runner buddies have AR’s and have had problems with them and thought twice about buying them.They are over priced in my book probably because of there “assualt” look. Everyone has there own opinion.I would buy what feels right for you and your pockebook.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Out of the box she is a sweet shooter! Ran a 10 round burst into the size of a tennis ball! Although it was only 25 yards! Gonna get out with Ritter this weekend and do some hundred yard shooting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Give him a running start! It’s only sporting.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Give him a running start! It’s only sporting.

At least I can run a 100 yrds.

We’ll find out shortly if you can….

Jami

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Here is the “After” pic…
    She’s a lot of FUN!
    ATI Stock
    Ultra Dot scope
    CAA Light holder/Forehand grip
    Streamlight 120 Lumen spot
    Laser on order.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.