Scope Mounting Question

• corey_waller
    hastings mn

I have a Ruger M77 25.06 and plan on spending a few bucks on a new scope. My plan is to get a 4x12x50 as I use the gun for everything from prarie dogs to mulies. I have been doing my home work on and have come up with 2 VERY different opinions on scope base heights. I have always been told that the closer the scope is to the barrel the more accurate the gun would be because the “line of sight” and the “bullet path” cross for a longer amount of time. My set up has Ruger medium rings and if I shim the bottom of the ring to lift the scope higher I can get the scope on the gun but I have to move it forward so it wont touch the barrel unfortunatly that puts the scope a bit to far forward for perfect comfort. I have room to shim it up some more befor I run out of thread depth and that was my plan untill a friend of a friend quit screwing around with it and use the higher mounts because it wont effect accuracy one bit.
    sorry this was long winded just looking for other opinions.
    thanks in advance

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

If you have to move your scope forward to fit the low bases then you’d just have to find a scope with alot of eye relief.

coppertop
    Central MN

The higher the scope the higher your comb need be for proper cheek placement. Have you lookled at Leupolds scopes for low mounting? They’re concave on the bottom and kinda sadle your barrel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.