20 gauge Slugs?

• packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

It froze over Friday and got the snow on it Saturday. Looks like the snow has alot of water mixed with it which should help freeze it up with these temps. There was a few open spots on Sunday still. Hopefully it won’t be long

thegun
    mn

Pepin ice!

It takes longer to freeze up good! there are areas that do get fish-able ice fairly early but dont venture far until the cold temps set in for a prolonged period of time! even then stay away from points and neck down areas! these areas have faster current and less ice!

remember this is not a lake it is a river! ice can change very quickly! could be good for a day or 2 and then open water! always take caution on pepin!

if you do decide to go check it out and walk out on it take a spud bar and constantly check the thickness of the ice as you go!

be safe!

rvrhntr
    Holmen WI / New Berlin WI / Pelican Lake WI

How is the fishing in the winter?
    Is it as good as in the summer?
    I am planning a trip or 2 to Pepin this winter any advice?
    Thanks for any help!!!!

thegun
    mn

ill give ya some tips on pepin if ya pm me!

eabraham473
    Rochester, MN

anybody check the ice around hok-si-la area? thinking of tryin it tommorow morning. any advice on the fishing would be helpful.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Fished today by the trailer Park point. It had 4.5 to 5 in ice. fishing was slow & small fish were caught. Didn’t check any other spots, Be safe

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We’ve done the point a couple times now with the same small results. I may start looking downstream at the wingdams nearer to Maple Springs.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Has anyone seen one of these yet? Hastings Site

Is anyone shooting 20 gauge slugs? I presently own a TC Pro-Hunter and thinking of getting a slug barrel for it.I am kicking around the idea of a 20 ga.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Is this for deer hunting Dean? I would think that the muzzle loader would be more accurate than the 20 gage slug.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

A 20 ga. is a great slug for deer hunting. I feel it is more acurate than the 12 ga. and has a little less kick. Countles deer have fallen to the 20 ga. slug

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

A 20 ga. is a great slug for deer hunting. I feel it is more acurate than the 12 ga. and has a little less kick. Countles deer have fallen to the 20 ga. slug

Yup I agree with you on that but IMO I belive that the muzzle loader will shoot farther than a slug.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

I like it. simplicity

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

To answer your ? Dean My buddys wife and 2 daughters have been using 20 gauges for years and they have all killed some very impressive bucks with theirs, and alot of does. If you are comparing it to your blk powder, no its not going to shoot as flat, or in my opinion as acurate at further distance, but if you have a reason you are going to a slug barrell I would not be afraid to go 20.a12 or 20 are both gonna get the job done , dead is dead.

coppertop
    Central MN

As far as the gun goes H&R makes sluggers that look just like that crackbarrel. Very nice slug guns!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Dean, until I bought my Thompsons Omega I hunted deer with strictly 20 Gauge and never once ran into ANY issues with it. Dropped several right in there tracks at a 100 yds. Do not hesitate to look into it in my opinion!

Dean Marshall

I have a ton of faith in my blackpowder set-up.However,it would be much handier clean-up wise and for follow-up shots to get a seperate slug barrel or gun.Especially, if I only get to go for a few hours at a time.

In looking at the ballistics on the 3 1/2″ 20 gauge at over 2,000 ft /sec.It appears that 20 gauge loads have advanced a great deal.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Dean where did you get your Pro Hunter what do they run for price?

Dean Marshall

Mine was stainless….$700 something,dont remember exactly. It sure shoots great & the felt recoil reduction made it worth every penny for me.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Ditto on the Pro Hunter with reduced recoil.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.