Sighting in Question 30.06

• tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I shoot a remington 30-06,when sighting in the rifle do you want to be right on at 25 yards or alittle high.I shoot 180grain round.Will this still be on the climb at 25 yards or not.If im on at 25 were would it be at a 100 yards?I live in Iowa so i am used to slugs.just woundering what you rifle hunters do.I will be hunting Wisconsin opener next weekend.Thanks for the help .

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I believe when you site in at 25 yds you should be right on. I think the old saying is ” crosses at 25 and 225″. At 100 you should be 1″ high. That’s how my .270 is anyway.

absolute2ks
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

I believe when you site in at 25 yds you should be right on. I think the old saying is ” crosses at 25 and 225″. At 100 you should be 1″ high. That’s how my .270 is anyway.

This is what we need on this sight Some of the old sayings, I like that, those old boys were right most of the time.

Maybe this would be a good forum BK. maybe it could be called old farmer tails.

2K’S

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks for the help guys .So if i put it right on at 25yards I should be good for a hundred yards . Here is an old qoute my Grandfather used to say to me all the time. “Boy you just got to learn to let the tail go with the hide” Then he would say if you live by that everything will be O.K..

umichjesse
    Plymouth

Just curious, why not sight your rifle in at 100 and 200 yards instead of sighting in at 25 yards and wondering where it will hit at longer ranges? Are you sighting it in indoors? If you can only sight it in at 25 yards for whatever reason, you will be able to find balistic charts online for the style/grain of bullet and type of powder that will be pretty accruate.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Just woundering if I sight it in at 100 yards wont it be way high at 25?Im shooting outdoors just courious what the best way is.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

If you sight your 30.06 in at 50 yards you should be about dead on at 200 yards (depending on the round). At that point the bullet will gradually start to drop but even at 250 yards you should only aim about 3″ high. From that distance on out, you’d have to look at the ballistics chart for the round you shoot and adjust your aim accordingly.

fireman1217
    Eagan, MN

What phishirman said. A 30-06 has no drop at 100 yds, and if I remember right, might be an inch at 200. Beyond that, you’d have to look it up…

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

This is courtesy of Federal Premium website.
    180 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.
    Zero’ed at 100 yards with a sight height of 1.5″

Ferny

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thanks for the help guys

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What everyone else said sounds right. I sight mine in at 50. Its a hair low at 25, a hair high at 100. Most of the deer I shoot in deep woods are about 50 so that seemed like a logical zero for me.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Were I hunt is woods and some open ground.I may shoot up to 150yards max.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Tony the advice is pretty good…BUT dont forget that very small differences at 25 yds are magnified a LOT(4X) at 100 yds and more. The 25yd zero axiom was ONLY meant to put you “on paper” at 100 yds.
    Get out and shoot some three shot groups at possible hunting distances…like 50-100-150 yds. This way you will be more confident and know your “practical” limits as far as distances.
    I do rifle range supervision/instruction (for many years)…you may be surprised how many hunters only shoot a few shots each year. They, for the most part, cannot hit a dinner plate over 50-75 yards. Most of thats due to flinching… a 180gr 30.06 load will kill just about any game in North America…I use the 30.06 on big game such as Elk and Moose.
    The 7mm-08 is my “go to” deer load with 140gr bullets. It is as flat shooting as the 06 with 1/2 the recoil. Drops Deer in their tracks!
    Good Luck with your shooting!

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

If you look at the graph provided by Ferny, you can see that at 25 yds the holes in your target should be one inch low. That would put you dead center at 100 yds.

You asked where you would be at 100 yds if you were dead on at 25 yds. I believe that the answer is that you would be one inch high at 100 yds when you are dead on at 25 yds.

JF

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Thank you guys for the help.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

If you check out the Hawk Optics Website, under rifle scopes you should be able to download a program called BRC. It is designed to work with their scopes but you can calculate your bullets tragectory by typing in the info found on your ammunition box. It is a great program to help out with your longer shots.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.