URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!!!

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Now that i got your attention, I let my buddy borrow my 30 06 the barrel is starting to get some surface rust, whats the best way to get rid of this and keep it protected. The guy i talked to at work said steel wook and WD40 im hesistant to take steel wool to a 600 dollar gun any other ideas?

Thanks!

shaley
    Milford IA

A quality gun oil and a rag will do with a little rubbing. I would not use WD 40 on anything other than starting a diesel or removing tar from my truck.

shaley
    Milford IA

A quality gun oil and a rag will do with a little rubbing. I would not use WD 40 on anything other than starting a diesel or removing tar from my truck.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

How come you guys dont like using wd40? I guess i was raised up using it but i suppose it was b/c they couldnt afford the rem oil

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

How come you guys dont like using wd40? I guess i was raised up using it but i suppose it was b/c they couldnt afford the rem oil

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

the thing with wd40, it will evaporate in air, where as rem oil protects and doesnt evaporate. I also found that using wd, makes everything stink like it, and you can’t seem to get the stuff wipped off without having 2 or 3 dry clothes.

shane

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

the thing with wd40, it will evaporate in air, where as rem oil protects and doesnt evaporate. I also found that using wd, makes everything stink like it, and you can’t seem to get the stuff wipped off without having 2 or 3 dry clothes.

shane

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

We are talking very very fine steel wool like 000 grade. Which is almost soft to touch and is as fine as hair.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

We are talking very very fine steel wool like 000 grade. Which is almost soft to touch and is as fine as hair.

bradg

The first and easiest solution, (and I bet you learned this now) Don’t borrow out your guns!! I learned the hard way about 6 or 7 years ago I let my brother use my 870 express that was in perfect condition. He took it duck hunting and it rained, he accidentily forgot to take it out of the case and clean it for about a month or so until I found it.
    Ok ok, i’ll cut to the choice, I found an gun oil in aerosol called Rusty Duck (??) It worked nicely, didn’t harm the blueing and cleared up a lot of the rust. The gun still has some pits, but after a month in a wet case it wasn’t minor rust my any means.

Please o’ Please don’t use anything abrasive (steel wool) on your gun. If it scratches off the rust, it will damage the blueing as well, and then it will rust way quicker for the rest of it’s life. An oil that is designed for firearms is the best choice, I agree with others that it won’t evap. like wd-40 may.

Just my .02 Good luck hope you can get it cleaned up nice again.

bradg

The first and easiest solution, (and I bet you learned this now) Don’t borrow out your guns!! I learned the hard way about 6 or 7 years ago I let my brother use my 870 express that was in perfect condition. He took it duck hunting and it rained, he accidentily forgot to take it out of the case and clean it for about a month or so until I found it.
    Ok ok, i’ll cut to the choice, I found an gun oil in aerosol called Rusty Duck (??) It worked nicely, didn’t harm the blueing and cleared up a lot of the rust. The gun still has some pits, but after a month in a wet case it wasn’t minor rust my any means.

Please o’ Please don’t use anything abrasive (steel wool) on your gun. If it scratches off the rust, it will damage the blueing as well, and then it will rust way quicker for the rest of it’s life. An oil that is designed for firearms is the best choice, I agree with others that it won’t evap. like wd-40 may.

Just my .02 Good luck hope you can get it cleaned up nice again.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

There is nothing wrong with wd40 in trying to remove the rusty areas. I think they are saying to not use it to prep it for long term storage.Correct me if I,m wrong.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

There is nothing wrong with wd40 in trying to remove the rusty areas. I think they are saying to not use it to prep it for long term storage.Correct me if I,m wrong.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Yeah… wd-40 will leave a hard to remove film if heated.

Use a gun oil.

One of the best methods for removing rust is hoppes #9 and light polishing with first a rag then if it is stubborn LIGHTLY polish with the finest steel wool 0000 or better. But try the rag first, let the hoppes soak it.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Yeah… wd-40 will leave a hard to remove film if heated.

Use a gun oil.

One of the best methods for removing rust is hoppes #9 and light polishing with first a rag then if it is stubborn LIGHTLY polish with the finest steel wool 0000 or better. But try the rag first, let the hoppes soak it.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

well i took a rag soaked in in gun oil and rubbed it and i think it took care of it. It wasnt bad rust but i think had i left it for a while longer it would have been a really bad problem. atleast i hope i got rid of it and not just covering it up

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

well i took a rag soaked in in gun oil and rubbed it and i think it took care of it. It wasnt bad rust but i think had i left it for a while longer it would have been a really bad problem. atleast i hope i got rid of it and not just covering it up

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Remember all bluing is, is rust. It is stopped by some other product, kinda sealed.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

Remember all bluing is, is rust. It is stopped by some other product, kinda sealed.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Hooknfinger,

The reason you should not use WD40 is that it was designed to displace water and is not a lubricant since it evaporates and sometimes leaves a sticky surface to collect dirt. Try the Hoppes and rub with rag then rub down with. Rem oil or Breakfree CLP, FP10. If this does not get the spots off then try the fine steelwool or a green scrub pad or take to a gunsmith.

Mwal

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Hooknfinger,

The reason you should not use WD40 is that it was designed to displace water and is not a lubricant since it evaporates and sometimes leaves a sticky surface to collect dirt. Try the Hoppes and rub with rag then rub down with. Rem oil or Breakfree CLP, FP10. If this does not get the spots off then try the fine steelwool or a green scrub pad or take to a gunsmith.

Mwal

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.