Terrova vs Ulterra

• walinutz
    Cologne, MN

I’m sure this has been covered, but is the Ulterra worth the extra 350-400 bucks?

opinions welcome.

24v 80lb 60″ running it on a Ranger 618T.

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I went with the Ulterra and I like the auto stow and deploy. I like the trim feature and the remote has worked flawless for me. We have been in some rough waters and its really nice to just hit stow instead of having to walk up front and play the balancing game.

Red Eye

One thing to think about is with ulterra you will lose 6” of your 60” shaft, due to the stow motor. I have a 1825 pro guide with ulterra. Doesn’t take very big waves before the prop is caveating. I do love the auto deploy and stowing from my seat in the back of the boat though.

David Blais

You’ll loose 6” on terrova too with the lift assist. Also on the terrova you need to make sure it locks in place otherwise the trolling motor can’t steer and it won’t work.

We were on lake of the woods in some rough water, I was wishing I had the ulterra so I didn’t have to climb to the bow and lift or trim the trolling motor.

If I hadn’t bought my boat new last year, I’d replace the terrova with ulterra

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Sigh…..Rich people problems!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I was on the fence but I installed a new Ulterra this year and it is truly amazing. I loved my Terrova but the Ulterra is just so much nicer.

The trim feature is something I wasn’t expecting to like so much.

Also the deploy feature while unloading by myself is priceless. Strong incoming wind I just unload it and deploy and anchor all from the truck. After parking I bring the boat to the dock and go.

The new motor also knows when your cord is getting wrapped up so it un winds itself. Truly a cool motor.

My only dislike is the jog function. It ramps up the speed to 10 every time you jog. So in shallow water it can be noisy and can dump an unexpected angler out of the boat. I’d love to see an update for this.

As far as shaft length I went with a 60″ and I have no issues with proposing on my 620 Ranger.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Also the deploy feature while unloading by myself is priceless. Strong incoming wind I just unload it and deploy and anchor all from the truck. After parking I bring the boat to the dock and go.

This is a nice feature when you plug in your trolling motor before dropping it into the water. I had to help a guy out and bring him to his boat one day.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I actually have a 2019 terrova and the only reason I did not get the Ulterra was because I heard from multiple guides that some would deploy by themselves with no warning……..oops! Maybe its rare but it steered me clear. I did notice when I spot locked mine last time out, it almost tried to wrap itself but stopped short. Is it smart enough to know not to keep wrapping the cord? I was prepared to stop it manually but it never got to that point. As far as deploying or stowing the motor…….a baby could do it! I had the Power Drive on my last boat and this spring loaded terrova is like lifting a feather. I have some issues with the auto pilot but I have been out in rough water and not sure I have the heading sensor dialed in so I will deflect on that aspect….otherwise terrova is the way for me.

fishingchallenged

I actually have a 2019 terrova and the only reason I did not get the Ulterra was because I heard from multiple guides that some would deploy by themselves with no warning……..oops! Maybe its rare but it steered me clear. I did notice when I spot locked mine last time out, it almost tried to wrap itself but stopped short. Is it smart enough to know not to keep wrapping the cord? I was prepared to stop it manually but it never got to that point. As far as deploying or stowing the motor…….a baby could do it! I had the Power Drive on my last boat and this spring loaded terrova is like lifting a feather. I have some issues with the auto pilot but I have been out in rough water and not sure I have the heading sensor dialed in so I will deflect on that aspect….otherwise terrova is the way for me.

My 2018 terrova won’t go more than one wrap. It keeps track and unwinds.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

If you fish pool 2 or 3 in the winter you won’t want an ulterra. Pool 4 you can probably get away with it most days as water temp is above freezing by a few degrees and ice buildup on shaft is minimal until it gets real cold out.

Smellson

I didn’t plan on getting an ulterra when I was buying my new boat (was worried about reliability) but the demo boat I bought ended up having an ulterra already on it. After having it for a couple years now, there is no way I ever go back. Love the ulterra….even though the spot-lock is trash

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

You guys aren’t helping me…HAHAHAHA LOL

blank

My only dislike is the jog function. It ramps up the speed to 10 every time you jog. So in shallow water it can be noisy and can dump an unexpected angler out of the boat. I’d love to see an update for this.

I haven’t noticed that on my Terrova when using the jog feature. I know the pre-bluetooth models would go straight to 10 when spot locking or going to “pressing the rabbit/bunny button”, often becoming a bit unsafe. But on the bluetooth models it ramps up to that speed, which is really nice.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I didn’t plan on getting an ulterra when I was buying my new boat (was worried about reliability) but the demo boat I bought ended up having an ulterra already on it. After having it for a couple years now, there is no way I ever go back. Love the ulterra….even though the spot-lock is trash

You must of got a Gen 2 then. The Gen 3 spot lock is spot on. There is even a boat scale selector to adjust the responce speed based on the size and weight of your boat. I run the 36v 72″ Ulterra. Love it.

blank

I share the exact same thoughts on the Terrova. I love the lift assist on the new Terrovas, and the deploy is so much better than the Power Drives.

My Terrova will unwind itself if the cord gets wrapped up when spot-lock. That’s a really nice feature. A good idea from their developing department.

I don’t think the heading sensor effects auto pilot at all, but I’m not certain on that. I think it’s only for the jog feature.

Deuces

Not a fan of big fancy crap on boats, takes away from the essence of why we do it. With that said it’s pretty dam sweet pulling up to a spot, deploying TM with a button while killing big engine throwing on auto head into spot ninja style while rerigging or getting fresh bait.

I would have concerns personally with cold weather deployment, I love late fall fishing.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Get both. When it gets cold slide your Ulterra off and slide the Terrova on. Problem solved. coffee

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I love my Ulterra but don’t think I’ll ever get over being afraid of it getting stuck in deployed mode.

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I love my Ulterra but don’t think I’ll ever get over being afraid of it getting stuck in deployed mode.

If your worried about the Ulterra getting stuck in the deployed mode than just install the removable mounting bracket like I did. Not trying to be a wise-guy, but it might buy some peace of mind.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

If your worried about the Ulterra getting stuck in the deployed mode than just install the removable mounting bracket like I did. Not trying to be a wise-guy, but it might buy some peace of mind.

You’re a smart guy, not a wise-guy!

David Blais

Does the removable bracket slide off the backside like mine? How you going to manage that when deployed

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Does the removable bracket slide off the backside like mine? How you going to manage that when deployed

My old mount slid out from the back, so I understand what your saying. My new mount slides off from the side and not the back.

milemark_714

Motorguide Xi5 would have kept on going,to the point of wrapping the cord tight and jumping off the drive collar.That’s what killed mine,and not sure if the new ones have anti-wrapping logic?Seems like the Terrova have it,and will unwind after a 360.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I just flip a cam lever and pick it straight up.
    Quick Release Bracket / MKA-51

Harry Loewen

I’m sure this has been covered, but is the Ulterra worth the extra 350-400 bucks?

opinions welcome.

24v 80lb 60″ running it on a Ranger 618T.

I had a Terrova and upgrade to the Ulterra thinking it will be safer than running up front etc. Trouble with Ulterra self stowing is that it’s totally unreliable. It will obediently stow until one day it decides not too. Typically I driver around with the motor deployed and trimmed up out of the water

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Very fine first post. But I believe if you are having that problem then WHY don’t you see about getting it fixed??

People that claim that something doesn’t work according to design like to bitch and not get it into a proper repair center!

Don’t try to fix it yourself then, obviously you don’t know what it does so don’t screw with it, let those that are QUALIFIED deal with it!!

Sorry for the rant, I step down now off my soap box.

edit: I’ve never heard of an Ulterra self deploying, a Terova on the other hand yes, and it will snap the shaft.

Harry Loewen

Very good point. I inquired at my dealer last fall. They told me the Ulterra’s are very squirrelly if the voltage is not 100%. So I spent $500 on new deep cycle batteries. No difference. Not was MK help line of much use. But hey, I’m sure they’d sell me another one that does work!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Denny, I’m going to start calling you Mr. Wilson.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Very good point. I inquired at my dealer last fall. They told me the Ulterra’s are very squirrelly if the voltage is not 100%. So I spent $500 on new deep cycle batteries. No difference. Not was MK help line of much use. But hey, I’m sure they’d sell me another one that does work!

If MinnKota won’t fix it and won’t help you. I’m going to go out on a limb and say it was your problem in the first place. Good luck bashing the Ulterra that’s been pretty much Bulletproof for most people.

The Vantage on the other hand is known to be a barrel of trouble but I still love mine.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Denny, I’m going to start calling you Mr. Wilson.

Please explain.
    Dave, do you disagree with my thinking?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.