Terrova, Ulterra, or Ultrex?

• David G

I’ll be running a Helix 12 SI mega chirp gen 3

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Do you want it to deploy itself? Cable steer option?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

where do you fish and for what species? what kind of boat, bass or deep V? bass guys like the cable driven Ultrex so they can use the foot pedal all day while casting. big water for walleye and the terrova or ulterra. they have foot pedals too but not the same response as a cable driven. I drive my Terrova from my remote 98% of the time so can’t speak to the pedal.

you need to give us more info really. Ipilot link will give you even more features depending on your needs(wants).

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Like eyeguy said if your a bass guy then the ultrex. If walleye then either of the other I own the terrova and use the remote. I used the foot pedal the couple times a year I want to throw for bass and it works fine. My only hang up with the ulterra is once up in canada I was in a friends boat and his got stuck half deployed. We got back to the dock and somehow got it working again, but I didn’t want to ever be in that position, so I went terrova.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The ultrex provides the advantages of cable steering with the features of electrical models such as spot lock, ipilot, etc. The Ulterra is the only one that stows and deploys on its own, however.

Jason

I just bought an Ulterra Link 112 x 72″. I run a Helix 10 MSI G3N off from it. I have noticed that I have something going on with the MSI transducer on the MinnKota while using the side imaging. Its not giving me a hard bottom reading compared to my rear MSI transducer unit. That issue needs to get checked out and or replaced. I really like the unit otherwise and would buy it again. The power trim feature is slick when your fishing different depths along shorelines or battling waves.

David G

Alumacraft 185 Competitor Sport. Northern WI mostly. Bass, Walleyes, Northerns.

David G

Alumacraft 185 Competitor Sport. Bass, Northerns, Walleyes. Northern WI.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Alumacraft 185 Competitor Sport. Northern WI mostly. Bass, Walleyes, Northerns.

The Ultrex has a bigger foot pedal than the other two because its a cable drive so unless you have a recessed area for the foot pedal on your front deck, it may get cumbersome to use.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Unless you do way more bass fishing than the others I would recommend the Terrova. When walleye fishing the remote hanging on the lanyard is the only way to go in my opinion.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I just bought an Ultrex Link 112 x 72″. I run a Helix 10 MSI G3N off from it. I have noticed that I have something going on with the MSI transducer on the MinnKota while using the side imaging. Its not giving me a hard bottom reading compared to my rear MSI transducer unit. That issue needs to get checked out and or replaced. I really like the unit otherwise and would buy it again. The power trim feature is slick when your fishing different depths along shorelines or battling waves.

The ultrex has power trim? I thought just the ulterra did.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Unless you do way more bass fishing than the others I would recommend the Terrova. When walleye fishing the remote hanging on the lanyard is the only way to go in my opinion.

He’s right. Also, if you’ve been used to the remote instead of a pedal (or vice versa), there will be some adjustment time getting used to it. Pedals differ for almost every model too. I’ve used a cable drive pedal in a recessed tray for years now and when I go to another type of pedal its very odd. Pedals have a very distinct advantage over the remote sometimes because you can use both hands to do something else, like hold the rod n reel.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I have a terrova and pretty much only use the remote – however, if I could go back, I’d probably go with the Ulterra for the auto-deploy/stow/trim.

Jason

The ultrex has power trim? I thought just the ulterra did.
    [/quote]

Sorry, I meant to say Ulterra.

My boat came with a 112 Ultrex but I had them take it off because you can’t fit the Ultrex foot pedal into the front storage compartment on a Alumacraft Competitor and I didnt want it laying on the floor and in my way when I’m using the Ipilot remote. The cord assemblies on those Ultrex’s are pretty clumsy…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.