Tampa Bay fishing info wanted.

• carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Will be in Tampa Fl next month and want to do some in shore fishing. Can anyone recommend a good guide for redfish/trout? Any other info appreciated.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I went there in April 2016, and while I was there I went on a 7 hour inshore fishing trip for redfish, snook, sea trout. The guide service I used was Reel Animals. I cannot recall the name of my guide but I originally signed up for a half day trip and we stayed out there for about 7 hours because we were just starting to really get into a school of fish as the tide was coming in. He only charged me for a half day, although I did give him a nice tip. It was windy and rough on the way back in across the bay, and we speared a wave that I took the brunt of. I think he felt bad about it but other than getting soaked it was not a major problem. I will probably go back there again at some point and I’ll use the same guide service. Those redfish really pull when they’re hooked!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You fished with Michael Anderson? Big dude? The guy who has a radio and TV show?

@carnivore I have run across a guy who does Wade fishing around the skyway bridge. I’ll see if I can find his information.

Nevermind, his website is gone and he hasn’t posted in a while.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I will be in Clearwater at the end of February and am going to try to get into the sheepshead bite. You can find them munching on the barnacles of the piers. Watched a local guy catch 10 all around 5-8 lbs last year when I was there, and they fought like crazy. If you don’t get out with a guide it’s a good way of still getting on some fun fish! Basically like vertical fishing!

One of these days I’m going to do a Tarpon charter though……

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Spent a week in March fishing the Madeira beach area for a college break a few years back. No money for a charter, so spent a few mornings/evenings shore fishing with some decent success. My best fishing was casting cranks into the gulf off Reddington beach. Decent snook bite early in the morning. Good numbers bite under the johns pass bridge.

Never found out what they were fishing for, but there were a few guys that waded out into the gulf and cast some cut bait half a mile out into the ocean. No idea what kind of fish they were catching, but it looked like a blast. Some bigguns. Broad daylight bite too. Could point you to exactly where they were standing if youre interested!

Ryan

We fished with a guy by the name of Tyson. (727) 692-5868 He works with a buddy so they can accommodate four people. We site fished for reds all day. It was a great time. He had a ton of spots. Then at high tide he took us to a spot that was unbelievable. Wife and I caught some many reds in 45 minutes. It seemed every cast we had a fish on. My arms were so tired. It was a great day of fishing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sheepshead are excellent to Target in winter and no need to Wade and get wet and cold. And no need for a guide, just go to any seawall or bridge, dock or pier with barnacles on the pilings. If they are there, you will see them. The bonus is they are relatively easy to catch and excellent eating

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You fished with Michael Anderson? Big dude? The guy who has a radio and TV show?

Ya thats the guy. He wasn’t able to take us out himself but he arranged for one of his “go to” guides instead, which was fine because the guide I had was quite good.

One of these days I’m going to do a Tarpon charter though

Although tarpon can be caught in Tampa, I was told they don’t move in there until May or June when the water warms substantially. I went to Key West in early April 2018 specifically to target tarpon and other saltwater fish for 3 days and THAT was the trip of a lifetime. Its more expensive than Tampa, but you can go there earlier in the spring too because it warms up sooner. I’ve never had a fish get so much air on the end of the line as a tarpon. And I’ve never fought a more powerful fish than a big Jack Crevalle. It literally took me 25 minutes to land it. The power that those saltwater fish whether its a redfish, snook, tarpon, jack, barracuda, or whatever is just incredible. There is literally no comparison in the freshwater world. The tarpon fishing guides I used was Dreamcatchers.

Attachments:
    1. slob-jack-crevalle.jpg

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Thank you all for the replies. The charters listed all look like good operations. I’m going to try to book one of them for a friend and I. Will also check into the sheep head bite might be fun with the grandkids.

reddog

Ill be in Clearwater next week, Should I pack a rod, or just enjoy my ten days with the inlaws? )

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Ill be in Clearwater next week, Should I pack a rod, or just enjoy my ten days with the inlaws? )

I’m bringing a rod when I go at the end of Feb. Like we mentioned, hit any pier and sight fish for sheepshead along the pilings. That’s what I’ll be doing.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Trevally jacks are beasts. And it’s something to watch a school bust through bait in a coordinated attack.

If anyone is one the area and wants to fish the skyway or Wade south of the skyway, hit me up.

I have been fishing solo since I got here, although I do now have a kayak fishing buddy.

The most pathetic thing is in 1.5 years I have yet to catch a red fish. I don’t know how that is possible.

sji

Trevally jacks are beasts. And it’s something to watch a school bust through bait in a coordinated attack.

If anyone is one the area and wants to fish the skyway or Wade south of the skyway, hit me up.

I have been fishing solo since I got here, although I do now have a kayak fishing buddy.

The most pathetic thing is in 1.5 years I have yet to catch a red fish. I don’t know how that is possible.

Careful, I’m in Florida twice a year. You might find me knocking on your door.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Should I pack a rod, or just enjoy my ten days with the inlaws?

And some people say theres no such thing as a stupid question…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

[/quote] WTH Mike?! You need to make that a goal!

reddog

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>reddog wrote:</div>
    Should I pack a rod, or just enjoy my ten days with the inlaws?

And some people say theres no such thing as a stupid question…

Someone smelled what I was cookin. Lol

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Careful, I’m in Florida twice a year. You might find me knocking on your door.

That’s alright by me, as long as I don’t have to travel far to meet up. The only times I’ve fished with people other that my wife and MIL is when Aaron Bye and Phil “Mr Special” visited.

WTH Mike?! You need to make that a goal!
    [/quote]

I am hoping the kayak opens the door. There really is no explanation for not even catching a little juvenile by now. I caught a few when I was on the Atlantic side and I didn’t get to fish salt much in the 4 years over there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I guess I just needed the yak

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0914.jpg

sji

There you go!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.