Taller bucket (6 gallon) to sit on?

• shockers
    Rochester

Guys,

I’m going to look for a 6 gallon (or maybe even 7) bucket to use for bucket fishing/hole hopping. The Frabill bucket they sell is ok (and it’s on sale at FFarm this week) but I don’t really need to spend that sorta money on a bucket, and don’t need the Styrofoam insert etc.

Have any of you come across a good, cheap source of a taller 6 or 7 gallon bucket? Maybe Home Depot etc.?

Thanks in advance.

navtiller
    chippewa falls

I am fairly tall and have hip and knee issues. I need to have my hips above my knees if I sit and ice fish. I have taken two 5-6 gallon buckets and cut the top third off of one the set inside the other one. I then attach them together with rivets or adhesives to achieve desired height.

milemark_714

If you know anyone that works in janitorial profession,you want those tall Zep buckets.Don’t know if their product still comes in them?I got a few from my last job.

shockers
    Rochester

Great tips, guys! I sure appreciate it. I’ll check these out.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For years my grandpa made wooden versions of this bucket-top stool for ice fishing. I still have a couple of them around.

With about 10 minutes of measuring and using a bucket as a template to cut out the round seat, you can make these to any height you want. We always glued 1 inch construction styro to the top so that you have an insulated seat to sit on.

Make more than one. As soon as you build one, you’ll want more.

Grouse

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Bought a bucket a couple of weeks ago, believe it was at Wally World…taller than usual – sort of looked like a couple of buckets stacked – actually had handle wires at the level of a 5 gallon bucket and also a handle wire near the top…went out and measured – 18″ tall – most of my other buckets are 6 gallons and this one is about 4 – 5″ taller. It is white and has no markings on it.

Ryan Wilson

I got my 6 gallon bucket at the beggining of this season at Walmart for $5. They had a few in their ice fishing section. Can’t belive how much of a difference it makes.

You could also check some restaurants. Pickles come in real sturdy tall buckets.

Rod Bent

I also saw one of the bucket websites had an extension that snapped on and it in turn had a threaded lid. Waterproof and leakproof. Kinda pricey but nice.

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Farm and Fleet used to sell sunflower seed in 6 or 7 gallon buckets. I don’t know if they still do but if you’re into feeding the birds it might be a worth checking out.

bluegillbandit16

My grandpa made me this stool you can put put on top of your bucket. I’ll see if I can snap a pic of it next time I’m out. But it sits up like 3 or 4 inches above your regular bucket lip. And he even padded it with carpet padding and some remnant carpet. He tried selling em for awhile but never made any money off of em. That’s what I use

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.