Taking your boat to North Dakota

• carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

If you plan to trailer your boat from another state to North Dakota be aware that they require boats registered elsewhere to have a $15.00 invasive species sticker on your boat. The sticker is only available online and takes one to two weeks to get by mail. They’ll accept the receipt on your mobile device for Ten days from date of order. If you don’t have a sticker or proof of purchase you may be fined $25.00 and required to buy the sticker. You will have to look under “Water Craft” on their website to find anything about this. I think the way they they have this set up is unfriendly to nonresidents and potentially a revenue trap.

Riverrat

But they do have a catchy jingle.

CaptainMusky

That is pretty dang sneaky if you ask me. They catch a lot of people I am sure. A coworker went there earlier this year and I really doubt they got one.

Karry Kyllo

I’m not sure how many years North Dakota has required and ANS decal for out of state boats but it’s been a few years now but I’ve never thought of it as sneaky, unfriendly or a revenue trap. Whenever I go from my home in Minnesota to another state for the first time each season, I always check state fishing and boating regulations to make sure I’ll be legal. It doesn’t take long to skim through different state regulations with the internet and the information is readily available if one takes a few minutes to look. It’s only common sense since regulations vary from state to state and can change annually.

slough

This (hopefully the picture displays) is prominently displayed on the page when you go to checkout on the ND game and fish site to pay for your license. Doesn’t seem too sneaky or difficult, and judging by the number of out of state plates in ND, I think it works ok. Surprised it’s only a $25 fine, maybe just because it’s fairly new still?

Attachments:
    1. ans.png

CaptainMusky

Yeah if its not buried somewhere then I agree it isnt sneaky, but when the person who initially brought it up the impression I got was that it wasnt obvious that it was required.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

This sticker has been required for at least 3 years, maybe 4. I questioned ND DNR about this sticker the 1st year it came out if it was only required of non-residents. Their answer was it was required by residents also and was included in the ND boat registration, BUT there was no increase in boat registration fee for residents. So it was basically a money grab on non-residents. flame

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

So it was basically a money grab on non-residents. flame

If $15 is what it takes to keep the riff raff Minnesotans out, then I’m all for it chased

Karry Kyllo

It’s hardly what I’d call a money grab. NDGF isn’t making much money at $15/out of state boat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.