Synthetic vs steel winch cable

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anyone run a synthetic winch cable on a plow? My steel cable snapped last year after about 8 years of use. I was able to cut it and splice a different hook on it so it still works and I have another cable but they arent the easiest to install and it looks like the other kind is. Do the synthetic cables hold up well?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Tried both. Best to purchase a 2 1/2″ tow strap, cut off hock on one end and install instead of rope. This will last two or three years. Problem with rope is it gets under the wraps and then binds and soon breaks. Have used tow straps for last ten years with littl problems.

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

I did put the synthetic on mine last year and only plowed with it twice,so not a lot of experience with it. I’ll say one thing won’t ever have to worry about the nasty hand jabbin burrs. Realistically for plowing all a guy would need is about a 2-3′ section though.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Had synthetic rope for years and it worked great for everything I’ve used it for and I have a commander 1000 it weighs 1500lbs the rope pulls me outta deep holes no problem def. recommend it.

CaptainMusky

My dad’s winch came with a steel cable and after snapping the cable like 15 times one winter (he does like 18 driveways with his ATV) he had enough. He went with a synthetic and I think it broke/wore though ONCE since. That has been 7 years later. I think that is pretty dang good.
    The biggest issue for these is the sharp angle that the cable is brought up with. They aren’t really designed for the winch to operate that way. When you use the winch to pull yourself out it is usually straight out in front of you, when using it to raise/lower a plow its a sharp angle. This is what causes the problems with the steel braided cables.
    I have seen guys who ran straps with great success. They also created more of a pivot or idler too. So the strap would go straight out from the winch, then around the idler and down to the plow. Much better design.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Tried both. Best to purchase a 2 1/2″ tow strap, cut off hock on one end and install instead of rope. This will last two or three years. Problem with rope is it gets under the wraps and then binds and soon breaks. Have used tow straps for last ten years with littl problems.

How did you lock the strap on the spindle so it wouldnt spin?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Left about 2 feet of rope on and cut hole in strap (sealed cut) and tied together. Only used about 10′ of strap as you only use the 3 feet attached to plow. After four years the strap broke at hook so I just retied to hook and it worked for another three years. I have since sold my atv and purshased a UTV and don’t plow anymore as I have a buddy with truck and plow. That works the best as I don’t even have to go outside except to shovel my entryway.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I built a bracket with tube steel and channel that mounts on the front rack and brush bar. There is a pulley with a removable pin. It extends out over the plow mount above where you hook it up. I hold it in place with a couple of bungee’s. Picture an old style western plow mount that was on my 78 gmc. This cuts down on the angle of pull and it lifts the plow from directly above.

WarEagle

I use the synthetic cable on my Bad Boy Buggy Recoil. It weighs 1700 lbs. I also plow snow with it. The synthetic cable has never broke yet.

John

My family uses our atv winch to help pull the dock out at the cabin. About 3 or 4 years ago the cable snapped and shot the hook back at my father. He had to get 3 teeth replaced in his mouth. We have since replaced the cable with rope and haven’t had a issue since.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How could the hook fly back if the cable broke? Did you have the hook attached to something that broke?
    In any event we all need to be careful. Hope your dad is OK.

John

It was looped around the dock frame and hooked onto itself. Yeah he’s fine now

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I run a synthetic rope and would never go back to steel. After cutting my hands on steel it will never happen again. Never had a problem with a broken rope and I have winch some stupid things.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.