Swim jigs verse Texas rigs?

• mrpike1973

So this weekend worked with Texas rigs have never used them much or been successful. A few questions why would you use a T-rig in place of a Swim bass jig. The only thing to me that is different is the swim jig has the skirt and you can slow the retrieve and bounce bottom perhaps with the T-rig. Mostly used 4 inch craws. When retrieving noticed the T-rig would flip upside down sometimes on retrieve is this OK? Used a tungsten bullet sinker this helped I could feel more. Basically was casting out and tickling the tops of the weeds can see why it is another tool in the tool box. Thanks

mrpike1973

I found an old post I asked a few years ago and reread that apologies for reposting. Just couldn’t find it. However this time it worked great for me!

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Last year I discovered the Z-Man Turbo FattyZ swimming worm, which I fish Texas Rigged like a swim jig. I’ve caught a hundred and fifty-plus fish throwing that thing the past couple of weeks. It is a rare lure that fishes pretty clean through the first of the year rice before it gets to thick and matted. Throwing to the matted rice edge and working it back through the thinner stuff has been money for me as I wait for the bass to start smashing frogs and toads.

10klakes

A swim jig is a cast and retrieve bait for me in open water or sparse cover. Inside weed line, outside weed line or swimming over the weed tops. paddle tail making it a minnow profile or a rage menace type bait.

t-rig I’m popping it off bottom, slow drag, or going up in weight and pitching into cover. You can swim a t-rig but I don’t seem to really.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I dont run swim jigs much id rather run a spinner or crank. But basically the t rig is great for those weed beds that are too tall or thick to get a moving bait through. You have to move a lot slower and really pick it apart but youll find one small spot that youll pull 10 fish out of. Plus you can throw it shallow too and flip cover.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Two rather different rigs for rather different styles of fishing. The Swim jig is more a cast and reel type of a reaction bait that is usually fished over or in light weed cover. The Texas rig is more of a rig for fishing heavier weed cover where you want to either get the plastic down into the weeds or through the canopy of weeds to where the fish are below. I tend more to use the swim jig to cover water and locate active fish. I use the T-rig more on spots once fish are located and holding tight to cover.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I use a Tx rigged crazy leg chigger craw quite a bit in weedy areas. Works great for me. Never been a huge fan of a jig or swim jig. I’m a one trick pony who needs to mix it up a bit I suppose. Good luck.

robby
    Quad Cities

These are totally different techniques for the most part. Swim jigs are fished much like a spinner bait typically. Basically chuck and wind. But you can Yo-yo them a bit. Texas rigged plastics are typically cast or pitched out, let sink to the bottom and slowly worked back through the cover by pulling by raising your rod tip slowly, lowering rod while reeling in the slack. This is typically a slow technique. Be ready for the strike on the fall, like with a typical bass jig. This said, experimentation is the key. I would buy some swim jigs from Brovarneybait.com Dan has perfected the Swim Jig. 1/4 oz with a 5 inch curl tail grub is a great place to start. Use 40 or 50 lb braid and set the hook as soon as you feel the strike, and then OWN that fish. Once you get the feel, it is amazing. You can fish these many places and they come through weeds well. Rig with the tail down to keep them high in the water column. Rod tip down. You can also through them through lilly pad fields or other slop, just cast, and lift rod tip up to keep high, do not let sink, reel as soon as it hits the water. Let the jig drop down in holes between pads, etc.. You have to really work this lure on the surface, control it at all times. Little bit of a learning curve, but you will catch on. Good luck. PM me if you have further questions.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Never been much of a swim jig or jig angler. They all seem to have very heavy gauge hooks though, and people swim for the fences when they set the hook on a fish.

Texas rigging can be done with a variety of plastics. An EWG hook will often work best because of its shape. Bury the hook in the plastic and use a bullet weight above the hook on the line. The size of the bullet weight should vary based on how quick you want the presentation to fall and how deep you are fishing. The key is to make sure the whole thing is essentially snag less. You want it to slide through thick weeds with ease.

A swim jig can usually be fished faster than a texas rig too. Some guys skip docks with jigs. I don’t. I solely use weight less plastics.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The last 2 years I’ve definitely upped my jig game and it is now my immediate go to. Skipping docks, deeper water, rocks, weed edge they all get a jig. I will always have a Texas rig tied on even walleye fishing. And a swim jig is always need just for searching. You can’t really connect the 2 because they are used in much different situations usually.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Swim jigs have found their way into my arsenal the last couple years. When a crank or spinner isn’t working, a swim jig in the same areas will usually get bit. Like others have said, it’s used in the same way as a spinner, crank or chatterbait. The difference is you can change the trailer and its much more subtle. It can be really good.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.