sweet spot depth for Big Gills

• claytondavis

Today I got to thinking, which is hard for me to do! We have been having unbelievable success in the 14 to 16 foot depth for gills!! It seemed when we found a large shelf that was in that depth range just before dropping out into the main lake it held Gills of all sizes, I wanted to know why. So for a brief moment i put the rod down, and sent the camera down the hole. Everything became clear as i looked at what the screen was showing me. It seemed that the shelf in the 14 to 16 foot depth was a transition from sand to muck, and in this transition i seen old weeds that had fallen, some still standing, and tons of micro bugs, and zoo plankton. I learned something new today, understanding the why and where, and that to me is what fishing is all about!! I thought that I would share my experience from today and hope it may help someone else seeking out the mighty Gill!! good luck and tight lines.

Attachments:
    1. 100_0428.jpg

2. 100_0430.jpg

3. 100_0431.jpg

Tonka
    Minnesota

Still been using your Bullwhip? Still loving it? I still haven’t got mine, but think that I’ll have it by the end of the week. Looks like you have this big gill thing down to a T, nice work as always.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

You know, seeing those big gill pictures you’ve been posting makes it tempting to get sneaky…have you ever been stalked before Clayton? If when you’re out on the ice and suddenly have that eery feeling that you’re being watched well, just ignore it and keep fishing! I’m sure the feeling will pass… devil

Seriously though, those are some BIG BEEFY gills-like reeling in a Frisbee sideways! Nice work getting yourself on them! waytogo

claytondavis

My wife stalks me every time i walk into a sporting goods store!! She thinks I become not responsible!! I think she is a spy and tells her dad everything that I buy haha!! thanks guys

claytondavis

Still been using your Bullwhip? Still loving it? I still haven’t got mine, but think that I’ll have it by the end of the week. Looks like you have this big gill thing down to a T, nice work as always.

Yes still using the whip, and still loving it!! seems i love it more and more every time i go Tonka.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Man I can never tire of your gill picts. Careful with the background, you are on a rare gill gold mine and you don’t need meat hogs to find it!

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Those things are hilarious… liiiiittle tiny heads and deep thick bodies… they just look so deformed. Awesome fish Clayton.

Was there a lot of trial and error when finding the “zone”? Are you fishing a general contour or is there something about it that makes that the spot like a cut or point or something… besides the transition between sand and muck I mean?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Thanks for sharing not just your awesome pics Clayton but also being gracious enough to share how you’re finding them. You da man brother! applause

Will

olso2063
    NULL

Clayton I think you need to change your profile name to big gill slayer…thanks for sharing the info….and great fish

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Right on. Great bulls and insight.

claytondavis

Those things are hilarious… liiiiittle tiny heads and deep thick bodies… they just look so deformed. Awesome fish Clayton.

Was there a lot of trial and error when finding the “zone”? Are you fishing a general contour or is there something about it that makes that the spot like a cut or point or something… besides the transition between sand and muck I mean?

Thank you fellers!! Youngfry, in the lake that I am fishing there was a lot of trial and error. we started out in shallow weed beds that we had caught gills in last summer. It was a good starting point, but only found perch, and lots of them! next step was to get my brothers out drilling holes deeper out from weed beds. we found some gills out away from the weeds in deeper water, but not the numbers or size. I then turned to the contour map and noticed some large flats where the depth stayed consistant 14 to 16 feet before sharply dropping off into the main lake. this is where we hit pay dirt in numbers and sizes!! I am not saying this is the magical depth for every lake but if you can find this magical depth in your lake it can be golden!! also we have been having good success in mouths of bays just before the shallow bay heads into the main lake!! good luck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.