Suzuki EFI kickers?

• Ross Gunderson

Hey guys,

Looking at the new Suzuki EFI 9.9HP kickers (DF9.9B andDF9.9BT) and looking for some advice to throw on a trophy 185 that has a Suzuki 175 on it.
    It will be used for primarily walleye fishing on inland lakes in MN but some on superior.

1) If you own one, are you happy with it?
    2) Did you pre-rig it through the boat or are you using a trolling motor/trollmaster/I-troll combo?
    3) If you could do a kicker combo set up again what would you change?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i own a 2016 9.9 EFI. I like the motor. it is paired with a Suzuki 140 on a 2016 Alumacraft Competitor 175. the starter did go out on the motor after only a year though and i didn’t use it all that much. It was serviced under warranty. Service man did comment that he doesn’t seen that happen too often on these motors. Its pre-rigged on my boat

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

An EFI kicker is something that I’ve dreamed about for years. My current kicker has helm control and a Trollmaster for fine speed control.

Matthew Sandys

I would love to know too. I dream of that kicker.

Terry Heese

I purchased a 2017 when I bought my new boat, tiller, elect tilt, elect start, love it! A set of Merc Pro kicker decals & mine transformed to a MerSuki. It’s locked straight & steers with the Ulterra, speed control with the Trollmaster.

traumatized
    eastern iowa

1) I had one. It worked fine, never any problems.
    2) I had a troll master controller. That was a little problem at first. The factory directions didn’t work. Ended up taking it right to them and they installed it for me. Then worked great.
    3) I have since sold that boat. Bought a new Ranger with matching Evinrude main and kicker motors. New kicker has electric start and electric tilt/trim. Makes it so much easier. It is so nice not being out the back of the boat deploying the motor in rough water. And just pushing a button to start is nice.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I don’t have that particular kicker, but my T 9.9 is set up with a protroll 2. It’s nice 90% of the time, but gets temperamental on occasion and won’t hold a specific throttle setting. I don’t know that I would ever buy another one. Usually I make fine adjustments to speed with the trolling motor anyway.

I link my kicker to my main motor with a removable control arm and make big steering adjustments at my console. I then use my TM to fine-tune steering.

When I troll I’m often solo. I like to stand in my walkthrough looking back at my gear so I can see how it’s running. With my setup I have steering and speed within easy reach and am not running around the boat.

pale ryder
    NULL

I bought a Suzuki 15 efi tiller last spring. My only complaint is that the friction lock on the throttle wasn’t strong enough to keep it from slowing down. I likely could have fixed it but instead I added an I-Troll with hunt mode. I am very happy with both and would buy both again with the exception of I would maybe get the remote model instead of a tiller.

Ross Gunderson

Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up buying the high thrust 9.9 and a trollmaster Pro 3 wireless. I’m really excited to see it work in conjuction to my ulterra and hummingbirds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.