sunflower heater will not stay lit

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

it will not stay lit. i have to use a zip tie to hold down the button so it stays one. i had this problem with an old sunflower heater before i borrowed it to my buddy. well he broke it and so replaced it with a brand new one. that one does the same thing. is this just an issue with these things? its a cheap source of heat and it will work with the zip tie but its really annoying. anyone else have this problem?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Most likely a broken thermocouple.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s a spring loaded button for a reason. Might want to get that fixed, or trash it and get a new one. (they don’t come with zip ties for a reason ) )

Travis Swanson

I’ve only had two in 14 years……one thing to do is not let it get frozen in there…I start mine asap, keep the ice from forming in there and warping the spring.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s a spring loaded button for a reason. Might want to get that fixed, or trash it and get a new one. (they don’t come with zip ties for a reason ) )

Why is the button there?

I’m kidding, I know why, but IMO only a true idiot would leave the gas on with no flame.

Ive been running broke thermocouple heaters for quite a while now and you know how much I’m outdoors using it!!

Doesn’t prevent co poisoning, but would prevent filling an enclosed space with gases that could lead to an explosion… But that’s why there is an on/off switch.
    Disconnecting a tank when not in use is wise too

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Most likely a broken thermocouple.

X2

Buy 2 so you have one as back up. At least with me the heater tends to get banged around some, specifically that thin copper line of the thermocoupler, when repeatededly loading in and out of the truck and when on the ice changing locations.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Easy fix, buy a new thermocouple and install. I have found that wrapping the heater head in a old bath towel and transport in a 5gal pail will extend the life of the heater.

ps0345

FYI – If Fleet Farm doesn’t have it you don’t need it…

First place I looked!
    And I’ve always said,” Wal-Mart has everything, Fleet Farm has more….”
    I’m going to have to start stealing your line Will

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thermocouple. Yes.

When they first came out they didn’t have the thermocouples. If the sunflower went out because of lack of oxygen it would continue spew lp. Those people aren’t around any longer to explain why zip ties shouldn’t be used…

Just saying…:)

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

OK; time for a fun and true story. Last December we were ice fishing over in SD. We had a group of guys with Oklahoma plates drive over and ask if they could try one of our 20 lb lp tanks with their Mr. Heater heater/cooker. They thought they had an issue with the heater, but they returned that and still had a problem with the new one. They finally deduced that the problem was with the lp tank. We weren’t following their line of thinking, but let them give it a shot just to see what was up. They screwed the 6ft hose from the lp tank to their heater/cooker, turned on the gas, and proceeded to light the vent hole in the metal tube where the oxygen is pulled in to feed the fire. It made an eery high pitched whine, and the tube got red hot REAL fast….. I asked him to please shut the valve on the lp tank quickly. At that point he explained to me that not only does the tube get red hot, but the rubber hose gets hot enough that you can barely touch it. Man, did they feel dumb when I showed them not only that you’re supposed to light the face of the heater, but also pointed out the push button ignition. We all had a good laugh and they went on and on teasing each other about southern rednecks being a little “slow”……

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

OK; time for a fun and true story. Last December we were ice fishing over in SD. We had a group of guys with Oklahoma plates drive over and ask if they could try one of our 20 lb lp tanks with their Mr. Heater heater/cooker. They thought they had an issue with the heater, but they returned that and still had a problem with the new one. They finally deduced that the problem was with the lp tank. We weren’t following their line of thinking, but let them give it a shot just to see what was up. They screwed the 6ft hose from the lp tank to their heater/cooker, turned on the gas, and proceeded to light the vent hole in the metal tube where the oxygen is pulled in to feed the fire. It made an eery high pitched whine, and the tube got red hot REAL fast….. I asked him to please shut the valve on the lp tank quickly. At that point he explained to me that not only does the tube get red hot, but the rubber hose gets hot enough that you can barely touch it. Man, did they feel dumb when I showed them not only that you’re supposed to light the face of the heater, but also pointed out the push button ignition. We all had a good laugh and they went on and on teasing each other about southern rednecks being a little “slow”……

Those were some very, very lucky Okies. Wow.

dbright
    Cambridge

Check to make sure that the tip of the thermocoupler is close to the face of the heater. As in almost touching. I had the same problem twice in recent years and one time I had to bend the thermocoupler in and the other was a broken line.

lloyd brewer

I have a Mr heater head and when I turn it on the flames are green then turns regular, what will cause it to have green flames

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.