Suggestions for BWCA trip

• Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Hey guys,

Have always wanted to get up to the BWCA for a week-or-so long trip. Looking for some decent fishing and a leisurely paddle – shorter portages okay (wife would be with me). Also wondering what folks do for water up there. I have one of those MSR microfilters, but it’s not a “purifier”. Those of you that have been, do you typically still boil/iodine even after filtering?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Nate

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Iodine tables are my go to. Can do it while paddling.

bigpike

My suggestion: skip Bwca and go to Quetico. If you like I can give you many options for it but you will need to drive to the Canadian side. It’s worth it and the trip once your there is cheaper. Good luck figuring out what you want many options for the park and area.

bigpike

As far as water goes, we boil on the campfire. More work but better water. Keep platypus containers for holding and cooling water.

popcorn

Here’sa link to the bwca forum much like this one there are many people that are willing to help a guy out. Look back at old posts and you will likely find the answer to many of your questions.

As far as water goes do yourself a favor and get a good gravity filter I have a platypus and one of the guys I go with has a sawyer.
    They both work great and the filter will last for several trips with proper care. No need for boiling with a filter but having iodine tablets as a backup is a good idea.

https://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=forum.conference&confid=1

Sylvanboat

Agree with Quetico option. Canoe Canada Outfitters in Atikokan can take good care of you. I have used them since 1970s and never a bad experience.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thru Ely,
    Lake 1,2,3,4, Hudson, Insula, Alice. I think the longest portage is 105 rods but all easy. Insula is beautiful as it gets and holds alot of eyes.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

X2 on Insula. Beautiful lake with many islands. Excellent for walleyes and smallies.

carmike

Depending on budget, either 1) drink out of the lake or 2) get a gravity filter.

I’ve been on 30+ trips, always drinking out of the lake at least some of the time, and most of the time all of the time, and I’ve never had a problem. Just get out away from shore, and don’t draw from near moving water.

If that’s not your thing, then do yourself a huge favor and get a gravity filter. Don’t get the Katadyn; instead, go inline like Sawyer or Platypus. Much, much, much better option.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Post happy

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Depending on budget, either 1) drink out of the lake or 2) get a gravity filter.

I’ve been on 30+ trips, always drinking out of the lake at least some of the time, and most of the time all of the time, and I’ve never had a problem. Just get out away from shore, and don’t draw from near moving water.

If that’s not your thing, then do yourself a huge favor and get a gravity filter. Don’t get the Katadyn; instead, go inline like Sawyer or Platypus. Much, much, much better option.

I could have written the above. I agree on all counts.

Shorter reasonably easy portages- when we wanted to duck into the BWCA for an easy trip with good fishing we’d go into Wood Lake in the Ely area. IIRC Basswood is 2 or three shorter portages away if you wanted to check that out. Wood always came through with the fishing for walleyes, SM Bass and Pike. Nice campsites too.

Insula is a good choice too for ease, expect company though and get your campsite early.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Gravity filters are good. You can use a pump filter but with greater work load. We’ve also used iodine for non-filtered water when filling a water bottle on the go. Taste is “acquired” though.

Word of note: Ely area can get quite busy during peak times. That can factor in when looking for a camp site. Quetico has great fishing but is more remote. There are also no designated campsites in the Quetico. You definitely see the ruggedness when you stray off the popular routes. The happy medium might be BWCA border lakes. I’ve always wanted to get into Iron off Crooked on the west side. Not sure if you wanted to be that ambitious.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I should also point out leisure is relative depending on wind.

McCrappie
    Maple Grove

My fiance and I go to Sawbill canoe outfitters every year and have been quite pleased with them. They have just about everything you need if you forget to pack something they have bait as well. If you plan early enough and get your permits early they have an entry point right at the outfitters on sawbill lake the first year we went up we left at that entry point and didn’t portage once just found a camp site we liked and explored from there. Last year we didn’t get our permits early and couldn’t take off from that entry point as they only allow so many permits a day so we had to get shuttled to the next entry point which was 5 lakes away about 2 total miles of portage and 10-11 total miles still had 2 days of complete relaxation.. But I’d give sawbill a look and plus depending on where you’re from the drive from Duluth to Tofte along lake superior is absolutely stunning it’s self

MNBOWHUNTIN

Quetico for sure.

Beaverhouse access and it is a short paddle and portage into Quetico lake, which is a big long lake. Many islands and bays, holds nice lakers, pike, walleye, and smallies. Best time would be mid June for fishing. You can catch lakers on deep diving cranks, 20-30ft. NW side up toward the Cirrus portage are some big cliffs, if you like to jump.

There are another couple lakes up there that I prefer, but are longer trips. One of the lakes up there is currently my favorite place on earth.

Attachments:
    1. 38234_139730592722643_4497158_n1.jpg

2. 37558_139729589389410_7921746_n1.jpg

3. 34765_139730756055960_5868642_n1.jpg

4. 38234_139730589389310_746696_n1.jpg

5. 37558_139729596056076_2708328_n1.jpg

Rick Janssen

I have been up there too many times to count. All of the above are good suggestions. The problem I see from the OP is SHORT,LEISURELY trip with good fishing. Depending on the time of year, it might be hard to pull that off. I have found, the further back you go, the better the fishing. The last time I went to Insula (great lake) it was mid summer and it was very crowded and the fishing was so so at best. I realize it is subjective to what is good fishing, but for me, I have had much better luck by putting in a few hard days. NOW, with all that said, with a wife (depending on her camping, paddling tolerance) the shorter trips are a great way to start. Almost ALL the rookies I have taken up, I have started them on Lake One and gone from there. Remember, the earlier you go, the better fishing is, but bugs, weather, etc can be worse. Have fun, it is a great area.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Your filter alone should be good. The katydyn gravity filters are way easier and faster.
    If you dont want to add iodine a steri pen is great – it can be a second layer of defense if you are worried, and it makes a good backup if your filter fails or is lost. It is the size of a pen, and can provide drinkable unfiltered water.

White Ranger

I have been up to the BWCA many times. I would definitely get a gravity filter. If it’s hot and/or you’re thirsty from a long paddle you might each drink two or more 32oz Nalgene bottles of water a day. I used the Steri Pen the first year. Yes, it works (didn’t get the squirts), but it’s a pain in the butt for two people to rely on for the entire trip – great for back-up though as mentioned above. You’re going to spend a lot of time planning, and probably a lot of money to get outfitted and get up there. Don’t skimp on one of the most important aspects of a safe, comfortable trip – Clean, cool, safe water!

I can’t imagine boiling water on a warm day and then waiting for it to “cool”.

FYI – I have an MSR gravity filter. I have heard nothing but bad reports on the Katadyn. Google it!

Hope you have a great trip!

walleyevision

x100 on the Sawyer gravity filter.

Bring a tarp, you thank me if it rains. Nothing worse than sitting crouched in a tent during a rainy day.

If you have them, bring light weight camping chairs.

Big Moose Lake (ep 6) is 50 minutes from Ely. Can get to a campsite in 3hrs. Good walleye lake.

Never been to Quetico but I’ve heard it’s much better fishing. No live bait though.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Thanks so much for all the great information and suggestions, everyone! Was hoping for a late spring/early summer trip, but it’s looking like we won’t be able to do it until late summer/early fall now. Ah well, more time to plan and anticipate!

Might follow up with more questions as time gets closer. Thanks again!

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

skip Bwca and go to Quetico. It’s worth it and the trip once your there is cheaper.

Curious to hear how this is the case. I booked a week long BWCA trip for $36 last week. Last I checked, its a minimum of $10-12/night if you stay in the Quetico. I wanna say that is a per person charge too.

Anyway, I’m going on a week long solo mission the first week of june. EP 22 and traveling to Crooked. Heard its a good walleye route. Has some sightseeing stuff along the way as well. Can report back to you if I remember when the time comes!

Roy Heilman
    Minnesota

Wife and I went to Entry Point 64 last year and had a great trip. Several lakes of small to medium size with short portages. Didn’t plan it that way, but I don’t think we had a portage longer than 55 rods or so. If you’re looking for shorter portages, you don’t usually find as many lakes strung together with only short portages, so I think it’s a great option that way. Had good fishing (pic from fishing at the campsite), and scenic as well. Wish we’d had better weather, but you get what you get.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7648.jpg

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

1) Go to Quetico.
    2) As for water, your choice. I’ve never boiled, only filtered, without a problem.
    3) Tuscarora Lodge & Outfitters at the end of Gunflint Trail out of Grand Marais has some great trips/routes into and out of Quetico and BWCAW as well. They’re top notch, knowledgeable, reasonably priced and do full and partial outfitting. Bonus, you can get a ride for you and your gear to American point and save a days paddle getting to Quetico. 218-388-2221; http://www.tuscaroracanoe.com

I know a lot of folks love Ely, but I’ve used these people a few times with both partial and full outfitting and love them.

4) Have a blast, post pictures when you get back!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The Falls Chain is a very good route. Great fishing on Kawnipi as well.

1) Go to Quetico.
    2) As for water, your choice. I’ve never boiled, only filtered, without a problem.
    3) Tuscarora Lodge & Outfitters at the end of Gunflint Trail out of Grand Marais has some great trips/routes into and out of Quetico and BWCAW as well. They’re top notch, knowledgeable, reasonably priced and do full and partial outfitting. Bonus, you can get a ride for you and your gear to American point and save a days paddle getting to Quetico. 218-388-2221; http://www.tuscaroracanoe.com

I know a lot of folks love Ely, but I’ve used these people a few times with both partial and full outfitting and love them.

4) Have a blast, post pictures when you get back!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.