Suggested icepole mount for Garmin livescope

• riverbottoms

Any suggestions on a better ice pole than the one supplied by garmin?

JoeMX1825
    MN

Scroll down and look under “Toys for Big Boys” secton, there’s a dedicated Garmin board…

Cameron white

The summit pole is a good value. The Arclab pole is a great choice too.

usmarine0352

I shied away 3D printed stuff bc of breakage in the cold issues that I’ve heard of. Especially the shuttle, I don’t want my expensive Livescope falling off of the shuttle and cracking the screen which has apparently happened to folks in bitter cold.

Went with an ARC Lab aluminum shuttle and aluminum pole.

Don’t have it yet but feel much more confident with aluminum than 3D printed.

BrianF

A part from my Summit pole broke last winter in very cold weather, rendering the whole system useless. The part looked 3D printed. Summit replaced it no charge under their lifetime warranty and said they had beefed-up that particular piece. We’ll see…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Their customer service (Lifetime warranty) is why I went with them…yes 3D printer stuff isn’t indestructible, but you get cutting edge design asap vs waiting for the manufacturer to design something that needs to meet manufacturing and budgetary requirements that sometimes don’t equate to the best fishing solution, Garmin’s Pole & Mounts leave alot to be desired…

BrianF

Follow-up: The replacement parts from Summit pole broke again on my first ice outing this year. The material used in these parts is brittle and weak when in single-digit temperatures and below – not capable of withstanding any repeated forces applied as when clicking the transducer from forward to down and back again.

However, in trying to ‘MacGyver’ the Summit pole into service again I stumbled across a solution that provides the best of both worlds. I found that the short 6 inch piece from the original Garmin mount – the one with the screws sticking out of the end to which the transducer is to be affixed – is a perfect match for the bottom of the Summit pole. The screws and pole diameter are the exact same size. When in life does this ever happen?

Simply screw the original Garmin mounting piece into the bottom of the Summit pole, re-attach the transducer using the original Garmin bracket, and you have the best of both worlds.

Here’s a picture of the Summit pole pieces that shattered in cold weather, along with the newly fixed Summit pole with the Garmin transducer mount piece attached.

Hope this helps somebody having the same problem.

Attachments:
    1. 045F0A98-E08A-4331-9165-2B7643CAC849-scaled.jpeg

2. 100910DB-59E6-4A68-AF33-C8B44EAD3475-scaled.jpeg

olas88

Dang though, 350 for the pole from Arclabs…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Follow-up: The replacement parts from Summit pole broke again on my first ice outing this year. The material used in these parts is brittle and weak when in single-digit temperatures and below – not capable of withstanding any repeated forces applied as when clicking the transducer from forward to down and back again.

However, in trying to ‘MacGyver’ the Summit pole into service again I stumbled across a solution that provides the best of both worlds. I found that the short 6 inch piece from the original Garmin mount – the one with the screws sticking out of the end to which the transducer is to be affixed – is a perfect match for the bottom of the Summit pole. The screws and pole diameter are the exact same size. When in life does this ever happen?

Simply screw the original Garmin mounting piece into the bottom of the Summit pole, re-attach the transducer using the original Garmin bracket, and you have the best of both worlds.

Here’s a picture of the Summit pole pieces that shattered in cold weather, along with the newly fixed Summit pole with the Garmin transducer mount piece attached.

I’d reach out to Summit again, perhaps they had a bad run or improper mixture of materials? I’ve yet to have any problems with mine in the cold..

kayl

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BrianF wrote:</div>

I’d reach out to Summit again, perhaps they had a bad run or improper mixture of materials? I’ve yet to have any problems with mine in the cold..

Same here, and that includes a couple of below 0 days.

Mike

I picked up a Summit pole, also haven’t had any issues. Although I’m not super impressed with the 3d print quality on some of the parts, especially the piece the transducer bolts to. Looks way too thin. We’ll see how it holds up over the winter.

3Rivers

The print quality doesn’t seem very high resolution on the Summit pole I bought. I was also a bit disappointed in the lack of instructions both in the box and online. Mostly because there was neither. The sheet inside had only a QR code that sent me to a dead link. Turns out the dead link was the same thing on their website too. I also had a couple pre installed fasteners that were not tight. Having said that, it still seems to be much more convenient than the Garmin ice pole setup. The Garmin isn’t bad, just a bit cumbersome. Probably very reliable though.

TOM

No issues here with my summit pole and mount. Once in a while the screw does get loose from transitioning from forward to downview.

olas88

No issues here with my summit pole and mount. Once in a while the screw does get loose from transitioning from forward to downview.

My Garmin version does that as well.

usmarine0352

I went with the ARC Lab shuttle and pole.

Have heard of 3D printed shuttles getting brittle and cracking causing the Livescope to fall off and crack the screen when it gets too cold.

Not gonna risk my expensive Garmin to 3D printed technology.

The ARC Lab stuff is super tough and durable.

Buy once, cry once.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Have heard of 3D printed shuttles getting brittle and cracking causing the Livescope to fall off and crack the screen when it gets too cold.

Buy once, cry once.

The Arclab pole is nice, but $375 for just a pole & tripod!?! yikes!

usmarine0352

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>usmarine0352 wrote:</div>

Buy once, cry once.

The Arclab pole is nice, but $375 for just a pole & tripod!?! yikes!

True but after spending $2,600 on the Livescope you want it to work and not be broke the few times a year you get to go out.

Cameron white

Ian at arclab is a friend of mine. Local mad scientist fab guy. Top quality work. I had him do me a 3 section pole.

Attachments:
    1. DA005569-7F92-4DCE-9257-EDC6AA54E10E-scaled.jpeg

olas88

Does the Arclab pole mount angle the ducer to help with ghost tree?

carver
    West Metro

I like the summit pole and never had any issues of it breaking over the 3 seasons I have had it. I like it cause I can adjust it to the length I need without carrying around other poles.

My next setup though will be an arclab shuttle but i will still keep my summit pole.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

not capable of withstanding any repeated forces applied as when clicking the transducer from forward to down and back again.

Don’t understand. I go forward or down with a push of a couple of buttons on my unit. Are some units different?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.