Suffix Advance Mono on Ice

• James Walliser

Hey IDO team, in the latest episode you were praising the stretch/sensitivity of the Sufix Advance Mono. Despite the larger diameter, I wonder if it might be a good substitute for braids that freeze up when fishing outside on cold days. Does the IDO team, or any forum members, have plans to use or experience with Sufix Advance on the ice? Thanks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey IDO team, in the latest episode you were praising the stretch/sensitivity of the Sufix Advance Mono. Despite the larger diameter, I wonder if it might be a good substitute for braids that freeze up when fishing outside on cold days. Does the IDO team, or any forum members, have plans to use or experience with Sufix Advance on the ice? Thanks!

I experimented with it this week. I tried the 8# and it is a bit coily for my liking when temps fell sub 20 degrees. I’m going to try 6# next and see how that fares. I love the reduced stretch it has so I’m hoping the 6# is a bit more forgiving at the colder temps.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

James, pitching plastics below freezing. Have you tried it with this line yet?
    Not a fan of mono but it is what ya gotta do.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yes, I fished the 6# and it worked great on the long rods open water. Agreed on preferring braid over mono when temps allow.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>

Yes, I fished the 6# and it worked great on the long rods open water. Agreed on preferring braid over mono when temps allow.

Thanks, I’ll get some ordered.
    Hi-vis options?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hi-vis options?

Not yet, but I’ve been leaning on the right people to see if that can happen.

Tinker
    Iron Range

I have tried 10 lbs. Advance for leader material on my summer rods and was impressed. The knot strength is the best I have seen in a mono. I will be trying 6 lbs. on my ice rods also.

evobassfish

Whats the smallest lb.test they offer for the suffix advance?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Hi-vis options?

Not yet, but I’ve been leaning on the right people to see if that can happen.

Lean hard!
    I’ll wait patiently.
    Orange & yellow please!

evobassfish

How does this line compare to flouro when it comes to line stretch? Less or more?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How does this line compare to flouro when it comes to line stretch? Less or more?

Hard to say for certain without knowing the brand of fluoro you’re comparing it to but I’d wager Sufix Advance has less stretch. Particularly under light loads which what matters when it comes to sensitivity.

If you have nearly 20 minutes to burn watching a pair of talking hands here’s a third party review video that covers what Advance is… and isn’t.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I don’t use mono mainline ever. Buy some ice braid, some 5 pound powerpro will do the trick. When you’re fishing 20+ feet with mono it is almost impossible to feel the bite on lighter biting fish, just because of the stretch in the line. Just get some ice braid mainline and a flourocarbon leader, and that should do you some good. Good luck!

AW

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I don’t use mono mainline ever. Buy some ice braid, some 5 pound powerpro will do the trick. When you’re fishing 20+ feet with mono it is almost impossible to feel the bite on lighter biting fish, just because of the stretch in the line. Just get some ice braid mainline and a flourocarbon leader, and that should do you some good. Good luck!

AW

Fishing braids, any braid, outside in cold temps is flat out miserable. When temps are on the plus side of freezing I’m with ya’ though. The sensitivity of braid is hard to beat.

James Walliser

James and others, thanks for taking the time to to respond! The coiling is a concern, but I usually go with 4-6# so maybe the Advance will be just right for me!

Nodak

I may rig a rod with mono for cold temps but prefer braid overall. I guess the reason I have not is because when it is that cold, I fish in the Otter shack. I have switched completely over to Suffix braid and all their fluorocarbons in the associated sizes. Filling the flouro dispenser with the sizes I use cost a few dollars but no regrets.

Tinker
    Iron Range

Just got back from fishing Crappie. 4 degrees when I hit the ice. Had 2 rods rigged with 6lbs Advance and had no problems with coiling and very little freezing like you get with braid and mono. I will be ordering 4Lbs and Can’t wait to try it in the heated hub.
    Tinker.

James Walliser

Just got back from fishing Crappie. 4 degrees when I hit the ice. Had 2 rods rigged with 6lbs Advance and had no problems with coiling and very little freezing like you get with braid and mono. I will be ordering 4Lbs and Can’t wait to try it in the heated hub.
    Tinker.

Thanks for this information. Think I might pull the trigger now on the Advance!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.