Sturgeon On Otter Tail or #5 Raps

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well they’ve been stocking the Otter Tail lake/river with lake sturgeon since the ’90’s and I’ve heard a few reports of 50′ fish soooo… I’m off to meet old man Trev at Vacationland Resort this weekend for fun, frolicking and to find me a sturg. (Not necessarily in that order). I know I’ll be up at the crack of dawn (10:30 right?) to head across the picturesque norther lake they call Otter Tail.

To be honest, I’ll be happy if we catch a sturgeon. It’s been over 15 years since I’ve fished non moving water. Yeah, I’m a bit nervous. How hard can it be really? Fish just want to eat and have sex right? Since Sturg aren’t spawning this time of year, that takes sex out of the equation. Fish are stupid…

I’ve done some background leg work with the DNR, and with Eric at the OutDoor Report. While Trev at Vacationland Resort is quizzing his guides to find out were they’re breaching regularly. So now all that’s left is to load up the Solera with 4 sturgeon rods and …what? Only TWO rods allowed?? Well maybe I better read up on the inland water rules before this weekend. It’s been a long while since I’ve been on water other then the St Croix or Mississippi Rivers.

One fella I was talking with about sturg bait was telling me a #5 shad rap is key. I was puzzled and said “for sturgeon?” “No” he replied “for when you get tired of looking for sturgeon and want to catch walleyes.” Now I have to go find my box of raps. I’m sure they’re in the garage someplace.

I might just try for a walleye or two anyway. I think it would be a shame to “go up Nort” and not try to fish for the State Fish.

Well, wish me luck. For the sturgeon, not the walleye in case you were wondering. whistling

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Good luck Brian. Bring gloves, just in case.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good luck BK. Don’t forget the pics.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

GOOD LUCK

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

Saw quite a few sturgeon in the water over this past weekend when going slow to get into walleye spots, makes wish I knew how to fish for them

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Saw quite a few sturgeon in the water over this past weekend when going slow to get into <em class=”ido-tag-em”>walleye spots, makes wish I knew how to fish for them

Season to catch and release start June 16.
    Look in sturgeon section of ido for how to information

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Good luck out there BK. An hour or so watching from the shoreline of water with no current with binoculars may help refresh the intricacies of operating your water craft, safety first. I have faith you will be ok on the water so I think an hour on the water with close supervision can be waived if you feel safe after an hour of observation.

sharptailer
    IGH, MN

Good luck! I’ve a friend whose life long friend lives on that lake. Can fill your your boat with ‘eyes but can’t find sturgeon. Sees them all over but can’t catch one

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Last year when I was there the weather wasn’t too inviting. We’re going a couple weeks earlier this year.

As far as sturgeon go, we didn’t see one go airborne.
    1) I was fishing he wrong end of the lake…I think…for fall fishing.
    2) I didn’t spend much time on the water.

Hopefully with a week up there I’ll have better luck and not have to resort to wallabie fishing. <sigh>

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hi Brian good luck. Might want to try those rippen raps for walleye’s also if the sturgeon aren’t cooperating. They seemed to work during low light. I caught some eyes on them ice fishing in February.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Sharp and Leinieman! September is a long way off yet.

I’m thinking about this weekend with the FGD catfishing. )

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.