Stumped…

• Jake Jirik

Here in western Wisconsin our season does not open until May 2nd therefore all we have to fish for is panfish until then. Now I am very new to summer panfishing and am having trouble locating these fish. I am wondering what I should be looking for when it comes to structure. Weedlines? Drop offs? Any ideas will help greatly! Thanks guys!

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

They should be just outside the areas they spawn in, but deeper, with the cold weather we’ve had recently. Any bays on north ends of the lakes will warm up sooner with the angle of the sun and will be better. Dark bottom even better yet. Once we get some warm weather, they will move in shallower, to feed, as the baitfish move in.

Jonesy

I was just out the other night in one of the bays I usually can find some crappies. Water temp was still 48 degrees. Still a bit cold.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

We were out Sunday afternoon and found temps in the bays to be in the mid 50’s. This week will bring the crappies in shallow big time, especially later in the day as the water warms.

We found big schools of crappies in 3.5 – 6 fow. We could catch 2-3 each then would have to move 50-100 feet. During one move I noticed we were chasing a school of 50 or more fish. Was fun to sight fish them.

Crappies were NOT relating to structure. They were not near bulrushes or docks. Some weeds but not that thick. Minnow or wax worm 2 ft below bobber, flu-flu jig.

I also used small crankbaits to locate schools where I could do this without picking up weeds. Would troll just outside of weed edge in 7-10 fow and when we hit a fish, would stop and cast flu-flus and demon jigs. Good way to cover water to locate them.

I would bet most shallow lakes are starting to see the shallow spring bite, and deeper lakes will by end of the week.

Good luck!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

What lures do you troll for crappies?

Big2thpick
    NULL

I have had really good luck with Beetle-spins. I have run them with a 2.5 mister twister, with or without a minnow. I have never trolled them this early in the year, but in the summer, it seems to be a great way to fish them when they are suspending.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

What lures do you troll for crappies?

I tore the package off and tossed it, but the wording on the crank is a Rebel Tracdown. Tried another type without success. This one has a blue back, silver sides, and orange belly. And it rattles and is about 2″ long.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.